Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for the wonderful reviews you have left so far, I can't tell you how happy I am that you're still enjoying this!! I had writers block on this for a while but today, my muse went mad in the sandpit so I do hope you enjoy this as much as the previous chapters.
She swirled to face him, witty retort at the ready. Instead, she found herself captured by his ice blue eyes. He was so close that his breath warmed her cheek. He was breathing hard, his hands reaching out to grab her forearms.

“Tell me I’m not crazy.”

She swallowed hard. Unable to move but unable to look away. What a beautiful man… Suddenly, his face blurred as she felt her legs weaken beneath her. The room faded to black.


~~

He paced the room, his hands raking his curls until he looked positively wild. Rupert had confirmed his worst fear – all signals indicated that her drink had been spiked. The drug itself would be long absorbed into her system yet the after effects would last into the night. She lay peacefully, unstirring. Her beautiful mane of hair splayed across his pillow, glowing in the lamplight. To him she was a goddess.

Lost in his thoughts of adoration he didn’t hear the door click open. There was a small cough from the shadows.


William looked up sharply. “Well?”

“Gone.”

“I’m going to tear him apart limb by limb.” He flexed his fists.

“One would think that he won’t be returning after tonight.”

“One may be right but I won’t be waiting on him. I’ll be hunting him down come nightfall tomorrow.”

“Do you really think that that is wise?”

“Look Rupes, I know you’re a legit, peace-loving citizen but sometimes, you have to step up. Take out the trash.”

Rupert stepped forward. “I believe that’s what the police officers are for. And also-”

“What?”

Rupert shifted slightly, his glasses catching the light as he removed them to polish them anxiously. “Isn’t this all a little extreme?”

William’s eyes flashed. “A girl got her drink spiked in my bar by one of my employees. I don’t think things can get any more extreme.” His voice rose.

Rupert remained calm and even. “And if it were any other girl, you would have trusted that the police would do their job.”

“What are you getting at?”

“What is so special about this one?” They both looked down at the unconscious girl.

William sighed, exasperated. Defeated. “I don’t know Rupes, I just don’t know.”

Rupert nodded and quietly left the room.

~~~

“Where am I?” Her voice was hoarse, her sight unfocused as she struggled to sit up and look around the room.

William, who had fallen asleep in the armchair next to the bed only an hour before, shot upright at the sound of her voice.

“Pet, you’re awake. It’s William.” He sat down next to her, stroking her hair away from her face. Her cheeks were hot and clammy.

“What happened? Where-”

“You had a bit too much to drink downstairs so I brought you up here so you could sleep it off before going home.”

“I want to go.”

“You can’t, you’re not well enough right now. In the morning, sweetheart.” He picked up a cloth from a washbowl next to the bed and wiped it gently across her face.

“But I only had a couple of drinks. Why do I feel so sick?”

William put the cloth down and laid her back down against the pillow. “We think you’re drink was tampered with. You’ve been checked out by the doc and you’re going to be ok, but right now you need to rest.”

“Riley.” Her eyes widened with realisation.

“Don’t worry, he’s going to be taken care of.” He leant over her and kissed her lightly on the forehead. “I promise.”

“Did we? How did I?” She was trembling now, tears tracking down her face.

“No. You went into the bathroom and I followed you. We were talking and then you passed out in my arms.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah, I always wished I would have that effect on women until now.”

She gave him a watery smile.

“Now, I think you need some more rest then we’ll look at getting you something to eat when you feel your stomach can take it ok?” He tucked the blanket around her and sat back down in the armchair.

“I’m so hot, William.”

“Oh right. Well, erm… maybe you should undress? I mean, not like that but it might help you, you know. Must be the side-effects or something. I’ll erm, turn around yeah?”

He turned to face the armoire, biting his lip with the sheer willpower it was taking him to not look in the mirror as she peeled off her clothes. He could hear the rustling of the sheets and the thud on the carpet as she dropped her things onto the floor.

“Thank you, I’m done now.”

“Ok, right. Well, good. I’m going to go now. Leave you to it. I’ll be in the suite across the hall if you need me. I’ve left the cloth there for you if you still feel warm.” His breath hitched in his throat as he turned to look at her once more. There she was, naked in his bed with only a sheet clutched against her body concealing it from his clearly hungry gaze. “Going now.” He moved around the bed and towards the door. As he swung the door open, he was stilled by the sound of her sobs.

With all thoughts of appropriateness gone firmly out of the window, he shut the door and marched over to the bed and enfolded her in his arms.

She clung to him, her head nestled in his shoulders. “It’s all gone so wrong.”

“What has?” He rubbed small circles on her shoulder blades as her body racked with sobs.

“Tonight. Everything. I shouldn’t have come here.”

“Don’t you even dare blame yourself for what happened tonight. Riley is a sodding prick and he will get what’s coming to him, don’t you worry.”

“No, not just that. I thought I was doing the right thing.”

William murmured into her hair as she continued to cry. She wasn’t making any sense. He had no idea what she was talking about. But then how could he? He knew nothing about this girl. This girl who had blown into his life just two days ago without explanation or introduction. All he knew of her was that she captivated him. And even that, he couldn’t explain.

“You’re going to have to give me a clue here sweetheart, I’m not rightly following you.”

“I planned for everything but I never planned for you.”

He thought his heart had stopped beating. She lifted her head to look at him, sitting back slightly, the sheet still wrapped around her chest. The tears were still fresh on her face yet he didn’t think he had ever seen her looking so beautiful.

Without thinking, he ran the pad of his thumb over her swollen lips. “You have no idea what you do to me do you.”

“You’re not crazy, William.” She turned her face into his hand and closed her eyes.