He knew nothing about this girl. This girl who had blown into his life just two days ago without explanation or introduction. All he knew of her was that she captivated him. And even that, he couldn’t explain.

“You’re going to have to give me a clue here sweetheart, I’m not rightly following you.”

“I planned for everything but I never planned for you.”

He thought his heart had stopped beating. She lifted her head to look at him, sitting back slightly, the sheet still wrapped around her chest. The tears were still fresh on her face yet he didn’t think he had ever seen her looking so beautiful.

Without thinking, he ran the pad of his thumb over her swollen lips. “You have no idea what you do to me do you.”

“You’re not crazy, William.” She turned her face into his hand and closed her eyes.


~~~

A sharp rap on the door broke the moment.

“What is it?” He couldn’t help but bark at the door, frustrated that once again, something else had interrupted them.

Rupert coughed nervously from the hallway. ‘Mr. Thorndale, I’d like a word with you if I may.”

Elizabeth was nuzzling his palm, her eyes still wide with the intensity of her recent admittance.

“I’ll be back in a minute, pet.” He leant forward and brushed his lips lightly across her forehead. “I promise.”

As he stepped out into the corridor, Buffy blinked rapidly. Her head was beginning to clear. Sure, the room was tilting slightly but the reality of her situation was about to hit hard.

Her plan had gone so far awry she had actually forgot what she was doing but somehow, she had ended up naked in the bed of her boyfriend’s business partner who had no clue as to who she really was or what she was doing moonlighting as a maid. What alarmed her even more was that she was comfortable with this development. William wasn’t crazy. She felt it to but to give in to it would cost them a far higher price than either of them could afford to pay. She slipped out from under the sheet and hurriedly back into her clothes. She was almost done when the door opened once more.

“Where do you think you’re going?” He was indignant now. Why the hell did the bint keep bolting?

“Home. This is just bad. All bad. I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused but don’t worry; you’re well and truly rid of me now. I’m gone. See, I’m going.” She pointed at the door for emphasis as she edged over towards it.

“Are you out of your bloody mind? What the hell is going on?” He was shouting now. “What are you trying to do to me?”

“Nothing. I’m not trying to do anything. But something is going on and it has to stop right now.”

“But why, why does it have to stop? You told me I wasn’t crazy. You feel it to, don’t you? I see it in your eyes.”

“I’m seeing someone, that’s why.” Dammit. Shit.

His voice cracked as he spoke. “Do you love him?”

She paused, contemplating coming clean once and for all. But what would that achieve? They still couldn’t be together even if William knew she was Angel’s girlfriend. Albeit soon to be ex. Her super ‘plan’ and its disastrous failure had put an end to any possibility of them becoming anything at all. “That’s really beside the point.”

“Beg to differ. If you loved him, if you felt anything real for him you wouldn’t be like how you are with me… you wouldn’t have come back here after yesterday. But you did come back and you told me you feel just like I do.”

“It’s not just that, William. You don’t know me. Not really. Sure, you’re attracted to me but you don’t know anything about me. You can’t. This ends here and it ends now.”

“I know that if you walk out of this room now we’ll regret not knowing what could be for the rest of our lives.”

She looked at him then. Really looked at him. The curls of his hair, the strong line of his jaw, the soul beyond the ice of his eyes. It was then that she realised that she was really seeing him. The real William. And he was begging her in a screaming silence to not leave him, to not break his heart. She felt her own heart shatter as she spoke.

“Then so be it.”

~~~

Six weeks later…

The slamming of the front door awoke her from her already restless sleep. He was late again. She should count herself lucky he had come at all if his recent form had been anything to go by. Since her encounter with William, she had returned home to the life she had planned to escape without a single complaint. Faith told her she needed her head testing if she was to let him get away with seeing his floozies. Buffy agreed with her but somehow, her fight had disappeared.

She thought it might be a guilt complex, that she deserved it after she had almost done something as bad as Angel. And even then, Angel was fucking around – not falling in love, which in her book was an even deeper betrayal. That didn’t make her any better than him. Falling in love. She knew as soon as she had left that hotel room that she had fallen. And she hadn’t noticed until she had already fallen down the well and landed in wonderland. But it was a forbidden place, a temptation to which she could never give in. She had to make it work with Angel now. For all their sakes. Hers, Angel’s and baby’s. She simply had no choice.

~~~

I'd just like to say a big thank you, yes again, for the lovely reviews you've all posted. This fic has taken on a life of its own despite my best efforts to plan... so its big case of suck it and see for all of us, I'm just writing what the muse tells me to! He went on strike when I tried to make this story do what I originally intended. But now the muse is back behind the wheel and he's doing things his way so I do hope you'll stick with me and find out what's going to happen next!