Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the long wait but i'm here now and so is this chappie!
Chapter 13: Second Try


Angelus sat on his couch with his legs lazily spread and his large ring-adorned hands crossed over his stomach. “So what do you propose we do? The whole reason I let you have any part in taking out the slayer was that she had no idea who you were…now that, that plan got shot to hell, what is your big plan?” The dark vampire said sarcastically with a chuckle.

Katya paced in front of him, playing with one of her two pigtails. “Relax, I’m figuring it out okay.”

“Take any longer I might stake myself.” Angelus stated with boredom.

Katya whipped her head around to him. “Please, by all means go help yourself. You’d be no loss to me I promise.” She continued to walk in front of the couch with a frown on her beautifully young face. A slow smile grew on her face as a plan formulated in her head. “I think I’ve got it!”

Angelus raised an eyebrow. “Please…enlighten me.”

“I think you’re going to like this.” Katya smiled evilly.

* * * * *

Buffy and Spike were walking through the cemetery for patrol, casually scanning the area.

“Angel’s been in hiding for a while…what do you think that means?” Buffy asked, twirling her stake in her hand.

“It means he’s thinking something up. He’ll show his face soon enough.” Spike replied on a sigh. He was really enjoying this break. It gave him more time with Buffy.

“Urgh! I hate this! I hate the waiting around. What if I’m not ready to fight him? What if this time he wins?” Buffy asked him as she stopped walking.

Spike stopped too, and put his hands on her shoulders. “He won’t win. Not with me there…I’m never gonna let anything happen to you, pet.” Spike pulled her into his arms and closed his eyes, inhaling her scent.

* * * * *

Katya watched the blonde couple from behind a crypt about five yards away. She pulled out the small, black silk bag from her pocket and opened the draw strings on it. Her nimble fingers reached in and pulled out a handful of sparkly blue sand.

“Dissimulo.” She declared, as the small vampire threw the sand in the air to let it land on her head. Her form shifted suddenly. Her tiny frame growing a few feet and her pale white skin turned into a scaly red. Two horns grew on her forehead, and claws emerged from her now giant hands. I have to make this quick…I don’t have much time.

Katya ran out from behind the crypt her long powerfully corded legs now taking her thrice as fast as usual. She aimed directly for Buffy and Spike, charging into them and not stopping. The blondes tumbled to the ground, and Katya looked back once to see neither of them had made a move to get up yet. She quickly darted behind another crypt about ten yards away, and the cloak she put on herself wore off.

* * * * *

Spike looked around, a little disoriented from the sudden blow that neither of them saw coming. “What the bloody hell was that?” he said pulling himself off the ground.

He noticed that Buffy was having a hard time even pulling herself into a sitting position. No wonder, the thing hit her from behind…must have knocked the wind out of her. Spike helped her off the ground, and let her rest against him until she could stand up straight.

“What the hell was that?” Buffy groaned out as she wiped the grass off her clothes.

Spike squinted into the darkness. “Don’t rightly know, pet.” He looked around the cemetery and didn’t see any movement. “Whatever it is, is gone now. Maybe we should just call it a night.” the vampire concluded.

The slayer frowned, as she gave her head a little shake to clear her mind. “Yeah…that sounds like a good idea. I don’t feel so hot.” She mumbled out just before her knees gave out and she crumbled. Spike swooped her up in his arms before she touched the grass, and looked down at the blonde in his arms with worry. She was still conscious, but seemed to be dizzy and weaker than usual.

“Okay pet…let’s get you home. It’s gonna be okay.” He carried her the rest of the way, and let himself into the Summers’ residents quietly as to not wake Joyce from her sleep.

It was hard at first for Buffy to explain why exactly Spike was living in their basement, Joyce had her concerns of course: living with a vampire, finding blood in the fridge, the late hours. But soon it became routine and she felt Spike was a comforting addition to the household.

Spike gracefully carried the slayer to her room, taking the steps two at a time, and lay her in the bed. He de-booted her, took off her jacket and turned the sheets for her. “You get changed, luv. I’ll be back up here to check on you in a bit.” Spike made his way down the stairs and towards the basement. He himself was going to get changed, make Buffy a good cup of tea and see how she was doing.

His mind was working overtime, trying to figure out what the hell it was that knocked them out. Buffy seemed to get the worst of it. That demon seemed to have come out of nowhere. It was also not a demon he was familiar with, a creature he’d never seen before in his 120 years as a vampire.

He took a couple minutes to make the slayer her tea, then deftly made his way up to her room. He pushed open the door to find her sitting up in bed, changed and rubbing her left arm with her right hand. Spike held to cup out to her, and she grabbed it slowly with a ‘thank you‘. “You alright, pet?” he asked with concern.

“My arm’s really sore. I don’t think it’s broken but it hurts more than any other time I’ve gotten hit.” Buffy paused for a second to sip her tea. “Did you see what that thing was anyway?”

Spike sighed. “No…I mean it was a demon, but I don’t know what race.” He sat on the edge of her bed, and turned her arm over to assess the damage. “You’re all bruised up, luv. You must have hit the ground pretty hard.” he frowned, for the most part she had landed on top of him.

Buffy frowned too. “But I didn’t…you pretty much broke my fall. When I got hit it felt like my arm was broken…” Buffy trailed off with a far away look in her eyes.

* * * * *

Buffy sat in the library battered and bruised. “When I hit him, it felt like my arm was broken, it hurt so much. I can't be just a person. I can't be helpless like that. Giles, please, we have to figure out what's happening to me.”

Giles opens his briefcase and pulls out a case with the syringe. He opens it, lets out a deep sigh and sets it in front of her. “It's an organic compound... of muscle relaxants and adrenal suppressers. The effect is temporary. You'll be yourself again in a few days.” his voice was somber.

“You?” she asked in disbelieve.

Giles continued to explain. “It's a test, Buffy. It's given to the Slayer once she... uh, well, if she reaches her eighteenth birthday. The Slayer is disabled and then entrapped with a vampire foe whom she must defeat in order to pass the test. The vampire you were to face... has escaped. His name is Zackary Kralik. As a mortal, he murdered and tortured more than a dozen women before he was committed to an asylum for the criminally insane. When a vamp…”

Buffy was furious. “You bastard! All this time you saw what it was doing to me, all this time and you didn’t say a word!”

Giles sighed. “I wanted to.”

The blonde let out a strangled sob. “Liar.”

Giles was starting to get defensive now. “In matter of tradition and protocol, I must answer to the Council. My role in this was very specific. I was to administer the injections and to direct you to the old boardinghouse on Prescott Lane” He was so worried that he had lost her now.

Buffy shook her head in denial, tears in her eyes. “I can’t…I can’t hear this.”


“Buffy, please!” he tried fruitlessly.

Buffy turned around in anger. “Who are you? How could you do this to me?” she couldn’t believe it. The man she thought to be a father figure betrayed her like no other.

“I am deeply sorry, Buffy…and you have to understand me.” The Watcher tried to reach out for her but she stepped away quickly.

“Touch me and I’ll kill you.” her voice was pained but also very menacing.


* * * * *

“Buffy!” Spike said again louder this time. “Buffy, kitten…look at me.” When she finally did, there were tears in her green orbs. “What’s the matter?” Spike wiped a tear that fell down her cheek.

“I remembered something.” she whispered, then frowned. “I kind of wish I didn’t.”

Spike frowned too. “Why, luv what is it?” He was worried. He really hoped she didn’t realize some of the dumb shit he did in the and be pissed at him.

“Giles…I remember him drugging me.” she cried harder. “Some stupid test for the Council. He made me lose my powers…I was helpless. I couldn’t even push over some dumb jock at school.” she scoffed at herself. “Cordelia saved me. Yeah that day is all coming back to me now. Giles used some jewel to hypnotize me, then drugged me with muscle relaxants and adrenaline suppressers.” Buffy was thinking the worst now. “What if I lost my power again? I’ve lost my memories and my power! What am I going to do, Spike?” the slayer was panicking. She felt so vulnerable, she didn’t know what to do with herself. Angelus was after her with a vampire child tagging along at his feet, and she had no way to defend herself anymore.

When she started sobbing, Spike took her in his arms and kissed her at the crown of her hair. “It’s gonna be okay, pet. We’ll find out what’s wrong…you’re not alone in this.”
He would find out what the hell that demon did to her…and how.


Chapter End Notes:
hope you liked it...please review!