Author's Chapter Notes:
so sorry for the late update i'm trying to update all my stories right now! I've got a nice chapter for you....hope you like it. I think i'll only have a couple more chapters left of this story....it seems to be coming to a close. so thanks everyone for reading and please review!
Chapter 14: Just a Project!

Angelus was ecstatic! He was practically jumping for joy when Katya waltzed through the entrance on the Crawford mansion saying that Slayer was powerless.

“How did you do it? I mean stealing her powers like that couldn’t have been easy. The last time that happened, it took couple of days to fully paralyze her…come on share your secret.” Angelus looked giddy like a child.

Katya held up and shiny green and yellow orb, that floated just above her tiny palm. “With this.” She paused for dramatic effect. “When I bumped into her, I touched the orb to her skin. It’s called ‘Potestas Recondo’. It means power storage. Witches and Gypsies used to do this to cripple their opponents.” She looked at the orb with satisfaction. “And I’m gonna bring back the trend.”

“Great.” Angelus stepped towards her. “So we can just smash this and she’ll lose her Slayer strength forever.” The younger vampire went to attain it but Katya held it out of his reach.

Her eyes were wide with disbelief. “Are you crazy?!” she walked around him and placed it in a glass box on a pedestal. “Breaking the orb only unleashes the power to its rightful owner. The orb then becomes useless, and we’d have to start from scratch.” She turned around to him and placed her hands on her hips. “Now we can go after her.”

Angelus smiled slyly. “No…I want to let her stew a little bit. Knowing her, she’s going to freak out…making the look on her face that much sweeter when I kill her.” Angelus threw himself down on the couch, and crossed his hands behind his head.

Katya frowned. “When we kill her.” She corrected.

“Nope!” the vampire smirked at the little girl. “That was never the plan, pumpkin.” He was being satirical with his pet names, knowing that it would piss her off. “I just needed a good plan, and know that I have it I really don’t have any use for you anymore.” He leaned forward and frowned. “I mean I can’t even use you for my sexual pleasure…twelve years old is where I draw the line. I mean…how sick do you think I am?” he asked rhetorically, feigning morality. Angelus could see her silently steaming; her fists were balled up by her sides and her eyes were little slits of fury. “Although…” The male vampire stood up and slowly made his way towards her tiny frame. “Torturing you would be fun!” he pointed at Katya as he stood above her. “I’ve always loved the sound of a child’s scream…so innocent.” He tapped her nose, and she nearly bit it off.

“I’m nowhere near innocent!” she growled, her face changing before him.

Angelus smirked again. “You’re right…you’re not.” He turned around and headed for his bedroom. “You better find a place other than here to sleep before the sun comes up.” He called over his shoulder. “Or I will make sure you wake up as a pile of dust.” He added before his stone bedroom door slammed with punctuation.

Katya growled loudly, before grabbing a blanket and rushing out of the mansion, in search of a new place to stay. She found an empty crypt in Restfield cemetery, and bunked there for the day.

* * * * *

Buffy woke the next morning, hating her life even more. Not only did she not have her powers anymore, she couldn’t remember her life, except for a few flashes here and there and those were only moments she wished she didn’t remember.

She looked over and saw Spike was sleeping beside her. She wished she could remember him. He was nothing but good to her and treated her no less than he would a Queen. She didn’t even care if they wanted to kill each other once upon a time, this vampire loved her more than Angel ever did, that she knew. When Angel lost his soul he hated her…Spike on the other hand, loved her without a soul. She crawled out of bed and let him sleep. He was up all night with her, letting her cry and holding her as she did.

Buffy walked to the window and made sure it was secure and no light would seep in before going to the bathroom to take a shower. When she was done and threw on some clothes she noticed Spike was still sleeping like the dead, so she went downstairs to make herself breakfast, and heat up some blood for Spike.

She was surprised when her mother walked through the front door wish a ton of grocery bags. She barely saw her mother so she wasn’t sure of what she knew; if she was the Slayer or not or if she knew she snuck out every night. What she did know was that her mother was aware of the accident that left her without her memory. The doctors told her that she was attacked by a wild creature and with the loss of blood her mind went into a name of a shock she couldn’t remember…go figure! When Joyce saw Spike talking to her daughter in her hospital room, he was quick to think of a story. He told her his name was William Giles and that he was the son of the Librarian Rupert Giles, who she apparently did know, and that he was the one that found her by the woods after he left the Bronze.

She watched with an amused frown as he changed his accent from that of his usual Cockney rumble to an upper crust accent that resembled Giles’. Her mother thanked him and coddled her for three days before fate pulled her away to New York for a showing. Every two days Joyce would call and tell her she was delayed yet another two days helping the Gallery chain in New York. But what Buffy didn’t tell her mother was that she enjoyed the time that she spent away because it meant more time to spend with Spike. According to him she had been housing him in the basement, and hiding him there even while her mother was home. How she did it she didn’t know, her mother must have either been repressing or she was totally clueless.

“Morning, Buffy! Can you help me with these?” she plopped the bags on the counter, and starting putting things away.

“When did you get back….you were gone a long time.” Buffy started helping put the food away, and was hoping Spike didn’t decide to come downstairs right now…because no matter what really happened, it wouldn’t look good to Joyce.

“Yes I know…they were short staffed, and with all the inventory-” she cut herself off. “Well, not of that matters, I’m home now. I got back early this morning, and with the time difference I could not get to sleep. So I decided to do some much needed grocery shopping. You were doing okay here?” she asked with concern. “I’m sorry I had to leave so soon after the accident.”

Buffy shook her head. “I’m fine mom. Nothing in the way of memories or anything, but I’m working on it. I’ve been spending a lot of time with William though. He’s the only person I feel totally comfortable with.” She thought she might wean her mother into the idea of Spike or William being her boyfriend, that way it might be easier to break the news to her that she was dating a vampire. “I really like him.”

Joyce smiled and kissed her daughter on the forehead. “How romantic!” she teased. “Falling for the man that saved your life. Shall I call Walt Disney and get him to start writing the script?” Joyce chuckled to herself, and Buffy couldn’t help but laugh with her.

Buffy felt comfortable with this kind of banter with her mother. She assumed they always joked like this. “It would make a good story, but that’s not the reason I like him. He’s a total gentleman…it’s like he was born in the 1800’s.” she joked to herself.

Joyce moved to the fridge. “Well I’m sure he gets that from his father. Mr. Giles seems to have the gentlemanliness down to a tee.” Joyce opened the fridge as paused. “Buffy?”

Buffy turned to her mother. “Yes?”

Joyce held up a jar of blood. “Why is there blood in the fridge?” she was definitely curious and a little weirded out. Joyce had noticed some weird things in her house over the past couple of years, such as crosses and vials of holy water, but she chose to ignore it. But this she couldn’t ignore.

Buffy’s eyes grew big as she tried to think of an excuse. “Uh…school project! Willow and I are working on this project to-to see how long i-it takes for it to um congeal!” she finished a little proud of herself. She hoped she bought it.

Joyce frowned. “Well it’s not going to congeal in the fridge, sweetheart.” She commented gently.

“I know! We haven’t started the project yet. That’s why it’s in the fridge.” Buffy grabbed it from her hands and put it back in the fridge.

Joyce sighed. “Well I don’t want it smelling up the fridge so can you keep it in your mini fridge upstairs?” she suggested.

Buffy smiled. “Great idea! I’ll do that.” She forgot she had one. She forgot she had a lot of things. Now she could feed Spike and tell him not to come down stairs.

As Buffy started to walk to the stairs Joyce called out to her. “Honey? You okay? You’re acting weird.”

Buffy smiled. “No mom I’m fine. Just eager to start my project.” She lied. Well if Spike was her project then, she wasn’t lying at all.

Joyce nodded. “Okay. I’ll call you down once I’ve made breakfast.”

Buffy booked it up the stairs with the jar of blood, and crashed into Spike as she was turning the corner from the stairs. “Shhhh!” she whispered as she pushed him back into her room.

“What the hell, Summers!” he hissed. “What’s wrong?”

Buffy closed the door and locked it. “My mother is home!” She hissed back. “And she found your blood in the fridge. Thank God I came up with some ridiculous excuse about a project; otherwise I would be in a first class seat to the Sunnydale Mental Institution. Here.” She shoved the jar in his direction, and he grabbed it. “It’s cold, sorry. I didn’t have time to heat it up.” She plopped herself back on her bed.

Spike just couldn’t believe she actually thought to bring him blood in the first place. “Thanks, luv.” He opened the jar, and took a deep gulp, his face changing as he did. “Mmm. Nothing like cold pig’s blood in the morning.” He joked. Spike licked his lips, and smiled at Buffy before finishing it off. “So with your mom home and all guess that means I’m stuck up here for the day?” he asked as he moved to sit beside her.

Buffy sighed. “Yeah I guess. This sucks. I can’t even patrol with you tonight.” She rested her head on his shoulder, and Spike ran his fingers through her hair.

“Vampires can wait, pet. I’ll stay here with you tonight.” Spike claimed.

Buffy lifted her head to look at him. “You can’t, Spike.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “I can and I will. You can’t stop me, kitten. I’m not leaving your side until you get your powers back. What if some nasty gets you while you’re here? Not all demons need an invite.” He gently pushed her head to rest back on his shoulder.

“Thank you, Spike. You’re so good to me.” Buffy closed her eyes and relished in the love he showered on her.

Spike kissed the crown of her head. “I love you…that’s not gonna change.”

The blonde smiled. “I know.”

* * * * *

Night fell, and Spike was true to his word. He stayed up in her room while Buffy was having dinner with her mother, and Buffy would make an excuse every once in a while to visit him in her room. At around 7:30, Joyce got a phone call that had her telling Buffy that she had to rush to her Gallery to work on some paper work. Joyce complained that she hired people that didn’t even know what they were going and apologized to her daughter before telling her not to wait up. And with that Joyce drove off to the gallery.

Buffy ran up the stairs to tell Spike they had the house to their selves for the night, but bumped into him at the bottom of the steps. She gave him a questioning look. “I saw your mom’s car pull away.”

They enjoyed their time cuddling on the couch watching TV, after a phone call to Giles explaining the situation with her losing her powers, and he promised to get on the research wagon right away with the help of Willow and a reluctant Xander. He never liked the books part.

When the doorbell rang Buffy was sure it was the gang coming to check up on her. But to her surprise when she opened the door, a little girl stood before her. She frowned. She didn’t remember seeing the girl before, so she called Spike over.

Spike was immediately on guard when he saw Katya, but was comforted by the fact that they had revoked her invitation. “What do you want?” he barked.

Katya looked a little worse for wear, probably from sticking it out in a dirty and smelly crypt for a whole day. Her blue dress was dirty and a portion of her face was burned from the little bit of sun that shone through the small window in the crypt. “I have information regarding Angelus.” She told them her voice childlike and innocent, compared to her words.

“And what prey tell, makes you think we’ll believe anything you have to say?” Spike grumbled with his arm wrapped around his love.

Katya knew he wasn’t going to listen that easily. “I know how you can get your powers back.” She directed at Buffy, who shot a hopeful look at Spike. “It’s held in an orb at Angelus’ mansion, in a case. All you have to do is smash it and you’re the slayer again.”

Buffy spoke quietly. “Why are you telling us this?”

Katya huffed. “Angelus betrayed me. He kicked me out and let me fend for myself. I’m looking for a little revenge.” She smirked. “The sick puppy needs to be put down, and I can help you do it.”

Spike frowned. “In exchange for what?”

Katya looked at him pleadingly. “In exchange for my freedom? I’ll help you get your powers back and take down Angelus, just as long as you let me walk. I won’t come back…can’t stand this crap town anyway.” She rolled her eyes.

Buffy spoke up with more confidence this time. “How do we know you’re not just setting us up?”

Katya felt the rage within her from hers and Angelus’ last conversation. “He subjected me to slumming in a dirty old crypt, and threatened to kill me if I didn’t leave. He used me for my plans and ideas and then cast me aside like a used maid! I’ve been around a hell of a lot longer than him, and never have I been treated like I was worthless. Believe me when I say that I want him dust!” Buffy and Spike could tell, by her fisted hands, and the vein popping from her forehead that she was not acting this time.

“When do we leave?” Spike asked.

Katya smirked. She was looking forward to her revenge. “Right now.”


Chapter End Notes:
sooooo did you like it! let me know!