Author's Chapter Notes:
okay this is the last chapter....i hope you like it. please review and tell me what you think
Chapter 16: We Can Do That



It had been two weeks since Buffy defeated Angelus, since she got her memory back, and since she broke Spike’s heart. He had moved out at her dismay, but told her that it was too hard being so close. Buffy tried to fall back into her school work, but was having trouble concentrating on anything but the broken look on Spike’s face when she walked away from him that night.

He had removed himself completely from her life which she wasn’t used to. He was there everyday for so long and even before she lost her memory she was used to having him around. Now, he barely popped in to tell her if there was any demony trouble coming. Joyce had asked about him on occasion on the odd days that she was home. Buffy felt isolated. Her mother was always working out of town, Willow was busy with school, spells and Oz, Xander was occupied with work and Anya, and Giles always wanted to talk about slaying or doing research for different things. Spike was the only person she wanted to talk to, the only person that actually understood her and she pushed him away.

Buffy ran down the stairs from her bedroom, and grabbed her coat before slamming the door behind her. It was just starting to get dark so she knew he wouldn’t have left his place. Spike mentioned that he was staying in his old crypt at Restfield after he left, so Buffy made her way in that direction. She was nervous; she really had no idea what she was going to say to him. She just hoped that it came out right. Buffy didn’t even notice she was there until she saw her hand rise to knock. Knock? Buffy never knocked…she just walked right in. But this time she did…felt it was right for some reason. She didn’t even know if she was welcome in his life let alone his home. So she knocked.

A second or two later, Spike opened the heavy door and didn’t look surprised that she was standing there. He didn’t even look pleased, or anything for that matter. His face was completely void of any expression. Buffy just kept his stare for a moment hoping to see something…anything.

“Is there something you wanted?” he asked, but he wasn’t even looking at her.

Buffy sighed. “Can I come in?”

Spike clenched his jaw and stepped to the side letting her know that she could, but still she looked at him. “You don’t need an invite you know.” He said sharply. She flinched and brushed past him. He closed the door behind her and walked back to the couch chair he was sitting in while Buffy stood awkwardly in front of him. “What is it you came here for Buffy?” Spike sounded exhausted.

Buffy paused. She really didn’t know; she just really wanted to see him. “I wanted to see you.” She said quietly.

“Why?” He was angry at her answer to his question.

Buffy decided that being honest was the best idea. There was no point in lying after everything they went through. “I missed you…I haven’t seen you in two weeks, Spike. You haven’t even called.” Her voice wavered a bit.

Spike stood up from his chair to stand in front of her. “You were the one that told me you needed space, well that’s what I’m giving you…lots and lots of space.” He put his arms out to his sides. He walked away from her to grab a beer from the fridge.

Buffy felt tears well in her eyes. “I never said that! I needed time to figure out my feelings for you…I didn’t expect you to completely remove yourself from my life!” she yelled back at him. “I was so used to having you there, and then all of a sudden you’re gone.”

Spike whipped around to glare at her. “You couldn’t have expected me to stay in that house with you after everything! I love you, Buffy, that’s not going to change. But how am I suppose to be so close to you and not have you?!” he bellowed with a clear pain in his voice.

Buffy softened. “I’m sorry. I never meant to hurt you. But you have to understand how confused I am right now. First we were friends…and then something more. I-I don’t know where that leaves us now.” She stammered out, looking at her fidgeting hands. “But what I do know is that the past couple of weeks have been really hard without you.” She whispered.

Spike let the ease of her words roll over him and walked towards her. “I know, luv. I’ve missed you too…I just don’t want you to feel pressured into making a decision that you’re not ready to make.” Spike had both of his hands cupping her face and wiped the tear that trickled down her cheek.

Buffy held his hands. “I’m not….just-” she stopped herself to bury her face in his chest and hug him close. “Come home.” Spike heard her murmur into his shirt.

Come home, he thought to himself. Buffy considered her home to be his home. Spike let the giddy smile that was creeping onto his face show. He ran his hands lovingly over her back and her hair. “Okay.” He whispered. “I’ll come home.”

* * * * *

By the end of the week, Spike was moved back into the basement. He brought his bed with him as well as his TV and mini fridge. Buffy didn’t want her mother finding jars of blood again. The two blondes had yet to talk about the grounds of their relationship, but both knew that the need to be close to each other was overwhelming.

Buffy hadn’t told her friends about Spike moving back in and the changes in their relationship recently. While Buffy lost her memory, she told her friends that because Spike was the first person she ‘met’ she was more comfortable having him around. They accepted, Xander reluctantly, but did all the same. Now was a different story. They expected better judgment from her now that she had all her memories, but yet nothing had changed for Buffy and Spike. At night, Buffy would frequently find herself creeping downstairs to watch TV with Spike; cuddling up on the big bed to fall asleep, only to sneak back upstairs in the early morning so her mother didn’t suspect anything.

Joyce had no qualms about letting Spike back into the house. She enjoyed his company, and he paid his way for groceries, which she didn’t see very much of. In the time that Spike was away, Joyce noticed the sullen mood that had fallen over her daughter. Now that he was back, it seemed like the smile never left her face.

It was early morning, around five o’clock when Joyce quietly moved about the kitchen grabbing a quick breakfast and gathering her papers for work. She was to get inventory ready for a showing later in the week and she decided to go early and get a jumpstart on the day. The older lady paused when she heard a creak coming from the basement door. She assumed it was Spike, used to his weird sleeping patterns, but was surprised to see it was her daughter sneaking up the wooden steps.

Buffy froze when saw her mother, as she closed the basement door behind her. “Hi mom…what are you doing up this early?” she quickly took the focus off her.

That didn’t work. Joyce placed her hands on her hips and frowned. “I’m going in early to do some inventory…why are you coming from the basement this early?” Joyce shot back.

Buffy was like a fish out of water. “I-I-I was, um I was watching TV with William last night a-a-and I forgot to come upstairs.” Buffy mental slapped herself.

Joyce raised her brows. “You forgot?”

The blonde started to backtrack. “Well I didn’t forget,” Buffy laughed as she rolled her eyes. “I fell asleep. Over the covers.” Her mother was still looking at her like she didn’t believe her story. “I woke up to infomercials, and decided now would be a time to get back to my own bed.” Buffy smiled big in the hopes that her mother would let it go. She wasn’t totally lying anyway. Buffy did fall asleep down there…but with the intention of falling asleep down there wrapped in his arms and definitely under the covers.

Joyce sighed and pointed at her. “I’m letting this go only once because I have to get going. But don’t you dare let me catch you sneaking down there or out of there again.” She demanded. Buffy nodded wildly. “And that goes for your room too. I get that you two are seeing each other now and you’re lucky enough that I let him move back in, but I don’t want to have to tell Mr. Giles that his son is no longer allowed to stay here because of this.” She said sternly.

“Yes, mom I totally understand.” Buffy nodded again.

Joyce was about to leave when she turned back to Buffy with a frown on her face. “You know I’ve always wondered why William never stayed with his father.”

Buffy quickly thought something up. “Well, they fight a lot…can’t really agree on anything. They both find their relationship works better when they’re not under the same roof.” Which was definitely true.

“Hm…okay well I’ll see you tonight, sweetheart.” Joyce gave her daughter a kiss. “And remember what I said.” And with that she left the house for the day.

Buffy smiled, and crept back down the stairs. When she hit the bottom, she spotted Spike sitting upright in the bed, waiting for her. “I thought the mom said you weren’t allowed down here anymore.” Spike stated with a smile.

“Nooo,” Buffy jumped onto the bed and slid herself into his arms. “She said that she didn’t want to catch me coming down here…she never said that I couldn’t when she wasn’t around.” She grinned slyly.

The vampire smirked. “So you found the loophole. That’s my girl.” He kissed her forehead. “So what shall we do until she gets home?” Since he came back, Spike never pushed her to make a decision about where he stood in her life, and Buffy never shared what decision she made, if she even made one. Both lived life the way they wanted with no pressure. So to say he was surprised was an understatement, when he heard the next words to come out of her mouth.

“Nothing.” She closed her eyes. “I just want to vegetate down here and enjoy the company of my boyfriend. Can we do that?” Spike heard her sleepy voice whisper.

Spike couldn’t contain the beaming smile. “Yes we can do that….we can definitely do that.” Spike closed his eyes and followed her into slumber.



THE END


Chapter End Notes:
please review!! thank you for reading