Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the long wait but here's chapter # 2!!!! hope you like it...please review!
Chapter 2: Midnight Snack

Katya was led into the living room, and forced herself to look afraid and uncomfortable by the others in the room. This is the group of losers that keep Angelus from killing the slayer? she asked herself with disbelief. They looked like a bunch of losers, save Spike, who if she looked older would have jumped in two seconds flat. Getting back into character, Katya hugged her arms around herself, forcing tears to her eyes.

She felt Buffy walk in the room, standing slightly behind her. Katya moved behind the older blonde, and gripped her shirt in her tiny hands sheltering herself from the others in the room.

Buffy smiled sadly, knelt down and turned towards the little girl. “What’s you’re name, sweetie?” Buffy ghosted a hand over the girl’s golden locks in a comforting manner.

“Katie.” Katya replied shyly. She decided to give them a different name so they wouldn’t figure out who she really was.

“Katie…I’m Buffy. And these are my friends. We’re gonna help you find your mom okay.” Buffy said with a smile.

Willow frowned sympathetically when she saw the lone tear fall down Katie’s cheek. She looked so lost. It was horrible to think of how scared she must be and how worried her parents are. She made a promise to herself that she would be total research girl, and made sure that this little girl got home. Angelus was obviously not making a move anytime soon, so it’s not like they had any other priorities.

* * * * *

Katya got settled into the Summer’s home, and watched cautiously as they either looked on the Internet searching for Katie’s parents, of secretly talking to each other. Buffy and the older man which she assumed was her watcher were quietly talking in the corner, while the red head, and the shorter red headed guy were sitting by the computer. She could tell that the red head was the witch. She gave the 315-year-old vampire tingles; she felt the magic radiating off her. The boy was the werewolf. She could smell it. Werewolf had this distinct smell to vampires…a faint smell of wet dog, and forest. Spike was leaning casually against the doorframe, playing with the unlit cigarette in his hand.

“Hey!” the brown haired boy greeted with a big smile. “I’m Xander. You don’t have to worry, my friends will find your mom.” He said, sweetly.

Katya smiled back, but chuckled inside knowing that no matter how hard they tried they would never find Tatyana and Sasha Dushkov in the database. Those were her parent’s names before she killed them.

“In the meantime…how bout we watch a movie, huh? We’ve got Finding Nemo!” Xander continued enthusiastically. It was almost too much for her.

She couldn’t belief that this kid was asking if she wanted to watch a baby movie. This was torture! But she knew that she had to lead on that she was just a child so she went along with it. She waited reluctantly as he popped in the video and watched the beginning credits start up.

This is hell! she thought to herself as the stupid little fish on the screen moved around. This sucks… Katya pouted.

All she had to do was wait out the night. She would wait until everyone in the house had gone to sleep then she would kill the slayer and all her friends. The only problem was…she was starting to get hungry. The guy she ate before she got here not enough to quench her thirst for the night.

She eyed the brunette boy beside her and thought he would do, but it would have been too obvious. So she let it go for now.

* * * * *
Willow kept searching the net, but still coming up blank. She turned to Buffy with a sad expression. “I can’t seem to find anything Buffy. Her parents aren’t in the database. Maybe they just moved here or something…” the witch suggested.

Buffy sighed, and ran a hand through her hair. “Okay well, we’ll have to do this the old fashion way then. Go door to door; see if anyone might know who she is. She couldn’t have gotten very far. But it’s gonna have to wait until tomorrow…I need to patrol. The cemetery is crawling with vamps tonight…we’ll need to be in two groups.” She devised with a big yawn.

Willow noticed this and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Why don’t you stay home tonight? The rest of us can handle patrol. This whole Angelus thing wiping you out…you need some rest.”

“You know, I really do. You guys really don’t mind?” Buffy asked hesitantly.

“Yeah! Don’t worry about it…we got it all under control.” The red head said enthusiastically.

* * * * *

Katya thought about the ruby hanging around her neck. The treasure of Fayina. This was the smartest thing she had ever thought of. She had found it centuries ago in Varna, Bulgaria right on the coast of the Black sea. There was a dark magicks coven situated near the shore, and she traveled through four countries to get there. She stole the expensive jewel, and borrowed black magick from one of the witches. It put her in a state of immense power for a few months, before the magick wore off.

If she wore the ruby, she was pretty much immune to all the vampire restrictions. She could step into sunlight, walk freely among vampires, demons, and slayers without any detection, and have heat radiate through her body. There was one catch though. She could not show her vampire guise while wearing the necklace, thus not be able to feed. Her strength was lacking some, and she was easier to hurt. If she wanted to fight or feed she had to take off the necklace prior to.

About half an hour later, Katya watched as the group of white hats secretly grabbed weapons, tucking them into their coats, or slipping them into their bags. She watched as Buffy came to crouch down in front of her by the couch.

“My friends are just gonna be stepping out for a bit okay.” She said softly. “But I’ll still be here. They’re going to see if they can find your parents, so we can get you home alright?” All Katya did was nod. Buffy stood again, held her hand out to the little girl. “Come on…I’ll make up a room for you to sleep for the night.” Katya, reluctantly, grabbed the slayer’s hand and followed her up the stairs and into a room.

This was her room. She could smell it. Buffy smiled, and told her she would be just down the hall if she needed anything before saying goodnight and closing the door.

Katya, walked farther into the room, and sat down on the slayer’s bed. She sat in the room silently, listening hard for Buffy’s breathing to regulate, signaling the teenage blonde was asleep.

With a smile, Katya climbed off the bed, and quietly stepped into Buffy’s room. She tried to keep her mouth from drooling at the smell of the slayer’s blood pulsating regularly. Reaching behind her neck, Katya unclasped the necklace from around her neck and crept closer to the bed. She nimbly tucked it into the back pocket of her jeans.

She let her fangs descend and the bones in her face shift, preparing her self to strike.

* * * * *

Spike walked back into the Summer’s house about an hour and a half after they all left. Him and Xander got in a little bit of a fight, and Spike decided to continue patrolling somewhere else for another half hour before heading back to the house.

Closing the door softly behind him, trying his best not to wake up Buffy. He knew she’d been worn out as of late, and he didn’t want to disrupt what could be the best sleep she’s had since this whole Angelus thing.

He headed up the steps two at a time, ready to draw up a bath for the slayer. Stupid git. Drawing a bath…since when are you her lap dog? Spike chided himself. Ever since she flashed you that gorgeous smile one month ago.
Spike had started falling for her just about a moth ago. Buffy and him were sparring in the cemetery; he was trying to train her for the big fight she would enviably happen.

He kicked her square in the chest, and she flew backwards, and hit the ground hard on her back. She groaned as she tried to get up and it caught Spike’s attention, and he ran over to her.

“You okay, pet?” he asked concerned. He really never meant to hurt her…he thought she could take it.

Without warning, Buffy flung her leg out, and knocked the bleach blonde vampire right off his feet and sprawled out on the grass beside her. “Perfectly fine.” The two lay there for about a minute, catching their breath. And that’s when it happened. She lolled her head to the side to look at him. A 100-watt smile lit up her face, before she jumped to her feet, and reached down, holding out her hand for him to grab. He did and the two continued the rest of their sparring with smirks and beautiful smiles.

On his way into the bathroom, spike heard a noise from inside Buffy’s room. He snuck into the dark room, and smelt something. Vampire. Who the hell could get into the house? He heard a faint snarl, and focused on the figure standing over Buffy. Without a second thought he lunged at it, and tackled it to the floor, pinning the vampire under him; the very small body…the very small female body. What the hell?

“Spike what the hell are you doing?” Buffy asked horrified, after shooting out of bed. “You could have hurt her.” Buffy scrambled out of bed and reached out to the little girl when she saw her face. Buffy reeled back.

Spike looked down at the so-called little girl, and watched as her face shifted back to normal. Spike was temporarily shocked, and that gave Katya the opportunity to buck the other vampire off of her and jump to her feet.

Spike stood up as well. And both vampire and slayer prepared to fight, but were never given the chance. Katya, smiled sweetly. “Guess you found me out. Well…this will be fun.” And before either Buffy or Spike could stop her she ran and jumped through the window, and landed neatly on her feet, breaking into a run.

Buffy glanced at Spike with worry in her eyes. “Totally not what I expected.”

Spike nodded absently.