Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the late update...i hope you like this chapter. please leave reviews!
Chapter 6: Who Am I?

The nurse came in as soon as Buffy was awake and started to check her vitals. “How are you doing? Wow…you recovered a lot quicker than we thought you would. Must be a miracle.” The nurse said with a smile.

“Why am I here?” Buffy asked hesitantly, her throat dry and soar from lack of speech. She looked around and took in the white walls and hospital machinery.

“You lost a lot of blood. You’re boyfriend brought you in saying you were bitten by an unknown creature.” The dark haired woman looked over her papers that were attached to a clipboard that sat in a holder at the end of her bed.

Buffy frowned intensely scanning her mind for anything. “I don’t remember having a boyfriend. I don’t remember anything!” she cried frantically. “Why don’t I remember…I mean I should know if I have a boyfriend or not, right?! I don’t even know where I live or my family-if I even have a family! What’s my name…I don’t even know my name! How the hell am I suppose to remember anything if I don’t even know my own name?!” she shouted, tears falling down her cheeks. Her face got red with the force of her sobs, and the nurse tried desperately to calm her down.

She quickly called for a doctor to come in and gave her a sedative for the time being. Buffy struggled against the doctors who were trying to hold her down to give her the drugs and managed to pull herself free. Reacting quickly, a nurse strapped her to the bed, and her doctor injected her with the sedative.

The dose did nothing to calm her down, and she continued to thrash against the restraints. She screamed and begged to be let go. “The drugs aren’t calming her down…we need to give her another dose.” Buffy yanked her arms out of the restraints, and pulled away from the doctors. Running on pure adrenaline, the blonde ran out of the room and sprinted towards the exit. She was stopped by a strong grip on her arm pulling her back.

“Get off of me! Let me go please!” She tried to get away from him but he was much strong than her. He held her in place holding her chin and forcing her to look at him.

“Buffy, Buffy! Look at me! It’s okay…it’s me. You’re safe now okay?” She had kept her eyes closed, but she started to calm down when she heard his soothing voice. “Buffy…please look at me.” She slowly opened her eyes to look right into bright blue ones. “That a girl. You okay? You had me worried.” Spike smiled and tucked her hair behind her ears.

Frowning in confusion, Buffy tilted her head to the side. “Are you my boyfriend?”

“Excuse me?” Spike choked out.

“The nurse said that my boyfriend brought me in…is that you?” she asked again innocently.

“Do you not know who I am? Do you know who you are?” Spike asked growing more worried by the second. This cannot be happening.

Buffy had calmed down quite a bit and by this time the doctors and nurses that were in her room had come out and watched the interaction between the two blondes. “Well I’m obviously a girl, judging by these…” she joked glancing down at her breasts. “And my name is apparently Buffy…which by the way, who in their right mind would name their daughter Buffy?” she asked with a flustered look.

“You don’t remember anything else? Nothing at all?” Spike asked.

“No…nothing.” Buffy said in a small voice. “It’s like I try and think of things but my mind is complete blank.” Tears grew in her eyes, and at that point a doctor came up to the both of them.

“Sir, we’re going to have to run some tests on her, and keep her here for the next 24 hours. You’re welcome to stay until visiting hours are over.” The doctor commented. He placed a hand gently on Buffy’s back to guide her back into the hospital room.

Buffy’s eyes grew with panic. “Can’t I just go home…?” the blonde turned to the sexy man with blue eyes. “I do have a home, right?” at his nod, she turned back to the doctor and continued. “I’m feeling fine, really…and I have this weird feeling that I don’t like hospitals.” She tried to convince him with pleading eyes.

“I’m sorry miss, but it’s standard procedure. After your test results are in, then we can talk about when you can leave.” With a smile, he attempted again to usher Buffy into the room. Buffy reached out and grabbed Spike’s hand, for some reason feeling much safer when she did.

The doctor and nurse set her back up in bed and put her back on the IV drip. After letting her know that they would start her testing in a couple hours, the doctor and nurse left at the request of Buffy, claiming she need some time with her ‘boyfriend’ to try and remember her life.

Once the door shut, Buffy turned and smiled at the blonde man. “So…what’s your name?” she asked sweetly.

“Spike.” He answered getting comfortable in the chair beside the bed.

“Spike? Hm…that’s a pretty unique name. Well I’m not one to talk with a name like Buffy. Guess we both got parents with bad taste in names.” She laughed.

Spike laughed along with her. She seemed like normal Buffy. She acted the same, yet she wasn’t. This is what Buffy would be like if she wasn’t the Slayer. If she wasn’t jaded by everything that’s happened with the vampires and demons…all the deaths she’s seen…pain she’s been in. The vampire glanced down at his hands sheepishly for a second then looked up at the beautiful blonde. “It’s a nickname.”

“Do I even want to know where that originated from?” she asked half serious.

“It’s a really long story. Look Buffy, there are a lot of things about you and your life that you should know about. It’s very hard to explain and I’m not even sure you would believe me. But just hear me out.” Spike sighed and took a moment to figure out where he wanted to start.

Noticing his trouble, Buffy placed a hand over his, which were resting, folded on the side on the bed by her hip. “Spike, it’s okay. If I’m your girlfriend you should be able to tell me anything right?” she asked innocently, having no clue what she was about to hear.

“That’s another thing.” Although Spike wanted nothing more then to let her keep thinking he was her boyfriend, he had to be honest because if Buffy ever got her memory back, she’d beat him…hard. “We’re not dating. We’re friends, and we work to together so to speak.” Spike mumbled the last part under his breath.

“Oh.” Buffy tried hard to keep the disappointment out of her voice, and failed. She wasn’t going to lie she was really hoping he was her boyfriend because God was he attractive. “Well…sorry for making that really awkward for you. Stupid me for assuming that when the nurse mentioned that my boyfriend brought me in she meant you. I’m sorry if that made you uncomfortable.” Buffy apologized, her cheeks turning slightly pink in embarrassment.

“That’s okay, pet. It was me that brought you in, but the nurse misunderstood.” Spike paused and decided to tell Buffy what she was. “Listen…I know this is going to be confusing, and it’ll be hard for you to adjust at first but the longer we put this off the harder it’s going to be for you. Buffy…you’re the Slayer.”

Buffy looked at him blankly. “A what?”

“The Slayer. See there’s this council of wankers that decided that they were going to choose one girl and give her power: strength, speed, enhanced senses. All so she can fight the forces of evil.” Buffy continued to look at him with a blank stare. “And you have no idea what I’m saying. Okay let’s start with this. Vampires are real…same with demons. And it’s your job to fight them.” Spike waited for the blonde’s reaction.

“Do I get paid?” she asked deadpanned.

“Buffy this is serious.” Spike said frustrated.

“I am serious! That’s one hell of a job, you’d think I’d something for it.” She claimed with a pout.

“You were chosen…it’s not really a job, more of a calling. You’re special, that’s why they chose you.” Spike knew that there was much more to talk about, and he was prepared to help her through everything. He didn’t think she was taking this as seriously as it was, and it would take some convincing to prove to her that he was telling the truth. But it would be worth it to get Buffy back.