January 5, 2006

Dear Buffy,

Thanks for the note, luv. I do remember you of course, and please don’t apologize for your enthusiasm. You were adorable, and your appreciation for us and our music was fantastic to see. I especially welcome your astute comments about our music. I always wish our fans would talk more about the music and less about my hair. A bloke can only give so many coloring tips! Our musical influences are pretty varied. We all admire different artists, and that’s part of what makes our sound unique. I personally have a hidden passion for the Sex Pistols, but my band mates don’t exactly feel the same way (Xander says they make “bangy, throbby, background noise” and Oz, in typical one word style simply calls them crap) so any musical links between them and Blue Flame are pretty obscure. Mostly we’ve tried to make something different, and I think, so far, it’s working.Today we’re hanging out on the bus on our way to Chicago. We’ve got about a half dozen more tour dates in the States, and then it’s back to Europe for about a dozen more. It can be rough, traveling constantly, living out of a suitcase, never talking about anything but the next gig, the next song, the next album…Not that I would rather be doing anything else. But a piece of the real world would be a right treat sometimes.So tell me more about yourself. How do you spend your days? I’d truly love to hear from you. Until then…

Yours,

Spike



January 7, 2006

Dear Spike,

I can’t believe you really wrote me back! Are you sure you remember me correctly? I’m the girl who couldn’t seem to speak a sensible word around you. I assure you that I’m not normally that lost for words! I’m sure your life must be much more exciting than mine, but if you really want to hear, I’m happy to tell you about me.We live in Waterford, NY, about thirty miles outside the city. It’s completely different from Manhattan. For one thing, there is a lot of forestland, and no public transportation, so you absolutely have to have a car. I work at an art gallery in our town. The owner of the gallery, Drusilla, is a little crazy, but she’s been good to me, and she really knows her stuff. She has a keen eye for new talent, and we are always showing new artists. In fact, we’re having a showing tomorrow night that I am really looking forward to. Really beautiful portraiture. I’m learning a lot, and someday I think maybe I’d like to have my own place, but that’s a long way in the future. The gallery is basically where I spend almost all of my time. My husband, Angel (you met him at the concert, too, remember? He was the one trying to pull me off of youJ) is an attorney and works in Manhattan. He’s is putting in a lot of hours because he hopes to make partner early. So he’s not home much. What about you? I know what you’re doing right now, but what’s home like? I hope to hear from you again, but I know you’re busy. So either way, thanks for the letter!

Sincerely,

Buffy



January 20, 2006

Dear Buffy, Hello again, luv. I’m glad to hear your showing went so well. I love the way you talk about art, you are so passionate; it reminds me of how I feel about music. Sometimes, lately, it’s been hard to remember. Did you get the photo I sent from Arizona? I know photography isn’t the same as painting, but it was so beautiful in a stark kind of way that I thought you would appreciate it.Remember I told you about my father, and how he doesn’t really approve of the whole rock and roll thing? Well, I think he’s beginning to come around. He wrote me (a real letter, not email) to say he is coming to our first UK date. Which is next week, actually. You know, he never really got over my mother’s death, even though it was so long ago. But I’m hoping we can start to reconnect now. I know your mom’s birthday is coming up and please remember that I will be thinking about you that day. And now, on to more cheerful topics…How are the plans for your little Valentine’s getaway coming? I know how much you are looking forward to it. We’ll be in Germany, I think, on that day, so I plan to spend the time surrounded by blond haired beauties much like yourself. Xander is yelling at me to get off the computer so I’d better turn it over to him. I think he wants to see if Anya has sent him any more naughty emails. Until next time….

Yours,

Spike



February 2, 2006

Dear Spike,

Are you sure you couldn’t get away for a few days and go home with your Dad? It seems like you could use a break, and it would be a great chance to spend quality time with him. I am so glad you are trying to have a better relationship with him. Believe me, if I thought my dad and I could have some kind of bond, I would be all over it. But that’s not likely to happen any time soon.My mom’s birthday was yesterday. I wish I could have visited her grave, but California is just too far away. So I went on a hike to the top of that mountain, the one I told you about before, where you can see the sunset, and it reflects in the lake, and I just thought about her for awhile. It would have been nice if Angel could have come with me, but he’s involved in some big court case, and just couldn’t get away. He couldn’t even come home that night.But he still swears we are all set for our Vermont trip on the 14th. It will be so nice to be able to just spend some time together. How about you? I know you have to be getting tired of the girl of the week thing. Don’t take forever, or all the good ones will be taken!

Sincerely,

Buffy