Author's Chapter Notes:
As I'm sure all you Marsters fans know, the song it Goodnight Sweet Girl by Ghost of the Robot.
Feeling a little silly, Buffy peeked inside her jewelry box again, just to make sure they were there. Yep, two tickets and backstage passes for tonight's Blue Flame concert at Radio City. The European tour was over and the band was doing one more show in the city before settling down to work in the recording studio.

The tickets had arrived a week ago, with a little note from Spike saying that he was looking forward to seeing her again and getting to know her husband better. She laughed a little to herself, remembering Angel's shock when she had shown him the tickets. He had mumbled something about fan perks before shaking his head bewilderedly and leaving for work.

It seemed like that was the only time Buffy saw her husband lately, when he was leaving for work. She almost never saw him coming home, although a couple of times she had tried to wait up. She had meant what she said to Drusilla, and she had been trying to overcome her frustrations about Angel's schedule. It wasn't an easy job, though. For some reason, she seemed less willing to make excuses for him than she used to be.

Tonight, however, they were going to the concert together, and Buffy couldn't wait to show him her new outfit. She had left work a little early yesterday to buy it, going into a clothing store she usually considered too risque for her normal style. She thought her daring had paid off, though, and even Dru had looked at her with newly appraising eyes when Buffy had stopped back by the gallery to show it off.

"You will certainly look spectacular in that," her boss had said, fingering the soft, supple leather pants. "No man will be able to resist you." And maybe it was her imagination, but it seemed like Dru had given her a very sly look, one which Buffy couldn't begin to interpret.

But that was Dru. She was always being enigmatic, and Buffy wasn't going to worry about it today. Right now, she wanted to try on her new clothes for her husband before he left for work. Angel was just turning off the shower when Buffy finished tying the dark green satin halter top around her neck.

"Buffy..." Angel was at a loss for words. What was his wife wearing? Lust and discomfiture warred in his dark eyes.

"Do you like it?" Buffy asked, giving a little spin, delighted that she had literally stopped him in his tracks.

"Well yes..." That was the lust speaking. And then the discomfiture kicked in. "But not to wear outside of the house. You can't be seriously thinking about wearing that tonight."

"Why not?" Buffy was hurt and a little angered by his reaction. "It's not that different from what a lot of other people will be wearing."

"I know, but other people aren't my wife," he paused placing his hands gently, placatingly on her shoulders. "Buffy, I have a certain image to uphold. You know that. And while I do think you look," he paused again, swallowing hard. "I do think you look nice, but it wouldn't do for anyone from work to see you out like that. It wouldn't look good, Buffy. You understand, don't you?"

"I guess," she heaved a reluctant sigh, pulling away from him and turning around. "I'll just take it back."

"Thanks, Buffy. And hey," he turned her around to face him again and took her chin in his hand. "I'll be there tonight, and we'll have fun. Promise."

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Of course, he had broken that promise. He hadn't even told her in person, but had had his assistant call to let her know he was breaking the date. She had left the gallery early again, with multiple promises to Dru to work extra hours next week, all of which her boss had waved off with a smile. As soon as she had opened the door and thrown her keys down on the table, the phone had started ringing.

"Hello?" Buffy answered, already starting to wiggle out of her work clothes. She was going to have to hurry to make the train into the city.

"Hi, Buffy? This is Annette, your husband's assistant?"

Cold tingles of dread started working in Buffy's stomach. "Hi, Annette, what can I do for you?" She fought to keep her voice level. He wouldn't. He just wouldn't.

But he would, and he did. "Angel wanted me to call and let you know that he won't be able to make your date tonight. He says to please go ahead without him and enjoy yourself."

"Thanks, Annette. Bye."

Furious, Buffy kicked off a high heel and threw it across the kitchen. It zinged the coffeepot and knocked over a stack of mail before coming to rest in the sink. Leaving it where it was, she stormed up the stairs and into the walk-in closet. Defiantly, she swept back a rack of clothes and pulled out the banned outfit.

"Fine," she said outloud. "If he won't be there, then what he doesn't know, won't hurt him." Fingering the soft material went a long way toward calming Buffy down. She had a sudden desire to call Spike, but knew that she shouldn't, not with the show only a few hours away. She would see him soon enough. Slivers of excitement began to take over, knocking away the anger. Soon, she would see Spike. Hear his voice again, not over the phone, but in person. It was funny, the last time she had seen him, he had been a virtual stranger, but now that she knew him so well, she wondered if he would look different. Surely, she wouldn't get that same feeling of breathless arousal now that he was her friend. Right?

Glancing at the clock, she hurried into the bathroom to brush her hair. If she didn't get a move on, she would miss the train, and if she had to drive, she would definitely be late for the concert. And that absolutely couldn't happen!

************************************************************************************************************************************************

Impatiently, Buffy shifted in her seat, waiting for the show to start. She had just caught the train, and then engaged in a mad dash for a cab to make it on time, only to be kept waiting in the arena while the band's crew made some last minute adjustments to the instruments on stage. Spike's guitar, leaning on a stool at center stage, made her smile. Would he even recognize her, she wondered? Of course, she wouldn't be hard to find in this incredible front row center seat. She would have to speak with him about giving away the best seats to already devoted fans!

She was just sparing a glance at the unoccupied seat to her right, wondering if she should give the ticket away, when a girl's voice interrupted her thoughts. She looked over her shoulder and saw a cute redhead talking animatedly into her cell phone.

"I know, I'm lucky to be here at all. It sold out in like, two minutes. I wish I could have gotten better seats. I just walked down front to see what it's like and the view is amazing."

Buffy smiled at the other girl's effusive babbling. It sounded a little, okay, a lot familiar. The redhead had closed her cell phone and was turning around to go back up the aisle, when Buffy made a quick decision and called out to her.

"Excuse me?" The girl didn't turn around, so Buffy scrambled out of her seat and touched her arm. She startled, whipping around, red hair flying in an arc.

"Sorry," Buffy apologized. "I didn't mean to scare you, but I couldn't help overhearing your conversation. I'm sitting right over there," she gestured to the front. "And, well, I have an extra ticket if you want it."

"You do? Really?" The other girl's face was open and friendly, eyes wide with excitement.

"Yeah, my husband couldn't make it, so...." She raised her hands, palm up in a "what can you do" gesture and held out the ticket. "It's yours if you want it."

"Oh, my gosh, thanks so much! I absolutely love Blue Flame. And I called the minute the tickets went on sale, but was on hold forever, and by the time I got through the only thing left was way in the back...I'm Willow, by the way." she stopped her babbling long enough to hold out her hand.

Buffy took it, shaking gently. "Buffy."

"Thanks so much, Buffy." Willow said again as they headed to their seats. "Wow! These are incredible! How did you get them? Did you win a contest or something?"

"Not exactly." Buffy blushed. "I kind of, know someone with the band. Just a little." For some reason, she was feeling shy about her relationship with Spike, and wanted to hide it from potentially critical eyes. She didn't know this girl, and didn't know if she might take it the wrong way.

"Well, whoever you know must like you a lot, 'cause these seats are without a doubt the best in the house."

"Ummm, yeah. So, do you think they'll start soon?"

Willow cast a critical, experienced eye at the stage. "It'll probably be awhile yet," she said knowingly. "I go to concerts here a lot, and the sound system is a little out-dated, so it always takes a long time to get everything hooked up right."

"Well, while we're waiting, why don't you tell me about yourself?"

The two girls settled in for a long chat, and by the time the lights started dimming, Buffy felt like she had known Willow forever. A PhD candidate at NYU, the redhead was very smart, funny, and sweet. Buffy was thrilled with the thought that she might have just made a new friend, something that had been lacking in her life for awhile now, Spike notwithstanding.

"Oh, my gosh, they're starting!" Both girls rose to their feet along with the rest of the cheering crowd. The stage was completely dark, and then, with a flash of light there he was in front of her, chiseled features molded in a gorgeous grin, and dark blue eyes that made her want to melt. He caught sight of her in the front row and winked, his smile becoming larger and more personal. She almost swooned, swaying on her feet, butterflies flapping madly in her stomach. Okay, so there was that answer. Him being her friend didn't seem to change her body's reaction one bit. She tried to tell herself that it was only because he was onstage, and seemed larger than life somehow, that when she saw him later, he would seem more normal and different. And then he opened his mouth to sing, and all thoughts left her mind.

Only girl for me is you
There can be no other one
If I didn't have faith
I would come undone

So much promise in your eyes
Seems that I can only see
It always makes me wonder
If you save it all for me

Maybe you do
Maybe you don't
Maybe you should
Probably wont...

I'll be always there
There to the end
I can't do much
But be your one true friend

Still see the promise in your eyes
And still wonder if it's for me
But i know it's still there
Even when you sleep

So I say, good night sweet girl

Somewhere in the middle of the song, Spike had come toward the front of the stage. Without thought, she had raised her hand to him, and just as naturally, he had lifted it to his lips. His kiss seared her skin and she pulled back startled. He only smiled at her and moved his focus further down the stage. Next to her, Willow stared at Buffy with wide, curious eyes, but Buffy only shrugged and after a moment she turned her attention back to the band.

For the next hour and a half, Buffy was mesmerized. Spike strutted and prowled along the stage, singing, it seemed most of the time, directly to her. After the band took their final bows and the house lights came up, she was still in something of a daze. During the show, it seemed like her head and heart had ganged up on her and shown her some very uncomfortable truths.

"Earth to Buffy." Her new friend insistently tapped her on the shoulder, holding out Buffy's bag to her.

"Huh, oh yeah, thanks." Buffy took her purse and shook her head to clear it. Spike was her friend.

"So, it's obvious who you like," Willow said teasingly.

"Yeah, Spike's great," Buffy replied, somewhat dreamily.

"He is," Willow agreed. "But I have the biggest crush in the world on the guitarist."

"Oz?"

"Yep. He is just so adorable!" she squealed. "Are you going somewhere now?" she asked suddenly. "Wanna go get coffee or something?"

Buffy was delighted at the invitation. She really liked this girl and could easily see them becoming friends.

"I would love to do something," she said honestly. "But I have a better idea than coffee..." Teasingly, she pulled out the backstage passes and waggled them in the air.

Willow shrieked, an ear-piercing sound that made Buffy jump, even as she was laughing.

"Mrs. Summers?" A male voice addressed her from over Willow's shoulder. A tall security guard in a suit and tie was patiently waiting for their attention.

"Ms." Buffy responded automatically, her thoughts flicking briefly, uncomfortably, back to Angel. That was one of very few things she had stood her ground on, keeping her maiden name.

"Ms. Summers." he corrected. "Mr. Giles sent me to greet you and make sure you could find your way backstage."

With another one of those tremors Buffy had started calling "Spike shivers", she forcibly pushed her husband out of her thoughts and smiled at Willow, gesturing for the other girl to follow the guard. "Lead the way!"