Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 10

Buffy jumped when Addie burst into her room, a scowl on her face.

“Did you really think that your father would side with you on this one? He wants to get rid of you, Buffy. What part of that isn’t getting through to you? He’s just as happy about sending you to Switzerland as I am. There’s no getting out of it.”

Buffy had enough and was finally ready to give the dreadful woman a piece of her mind. “This isn’t over yet. My father will realize the monster he married, one way or another.”

Addie was taken by surprise. “Oh, look who decided to get a backbone. You can tell Hank all kinds of nasty things about me, but he’ll never listen. How does it feel knowing that your father would rather take my side over yours? You won’t win this, honey. You will be out of our lives soon enough, I’ll see to that.”

Buffy saw red and without putting much thought to her actions, reached out and grabbed the wig off of Addie’s head. She flung it to the floor and stepped on it. “I knew that was fake,” she spat.

Addie was enraged and struck Buffy hard across the face. “You miserable little bitch, just wait until your father hears about this.”

Buffy rubbed her stinging cheek.

Addie snatched up her hairpiece and glared at Buffy. “I can’t wait until you’re gone. Hank and I will throw a party in your absence.” She made her way over to the door, turning back one more time. “He never loved you, Buffy. He tells me all the time how he wished you were never born. I can’t say I really blame him. Why would anyone love someone as repulsive as you?”

Buffy managed to control her tears in Addie’s presence, but couldn’t stop them from coming out once the woman left the room. She had to get out of there.


* * * * *


Spike stopped at the house next to Buffy’s, needing a moment before he got up the courage to knock on her door. He didn’t even know why he was there, but just had an urge to see her again. It was then that he saw her front door open and Buffy run out of the house. He quickly got out of his car and took off after her. Spike chased her all the way to the park. He kept calling her name to get her to stop, but she didn’t even acknowledge that she heard him. She finally stopped and dropped to the ground, Spike hurried to get to her. He kneeled down to her side and tilted her head up, concerned to see the tears streaming down her face.

“Love, what’s wrong?”

Buffy only shook her head and wrapped her arms around him.

Spike did the same and pressed kisses to the top of her head, worried about what could have happened to her.


* * * * *


All he could see was pure hatred once Buffy explained about her step-mother. He didn’t understand how anyone could treat her like that.

“Is it wrong to hit a woman? I’m tempted to throttle her. I don’t care what happens to me, it would be worth it.”

Buffy managed a small smile. “I don’t think that would really help, but thanks for cheering me up.”

“How long has this been going on, Buffy?”

She shrugged. “I think since I started to live with them. She has always had something against me, and my father doesn’t see it. He thinks she’s perfect, it doesn’t matter what I say.”

Spike shook his head. “No one can be that oblivious to what’s going on right under their roof. I can’t say I’m all that fond of him, either.”

Buffy agreed. “I’m not so fond of him right now myself. He was never all that great of a father. I mean, he cheated on my mother with Addie and didn’t even care to show up to her funeral when she passed away. I was hoping that when I got sent to live with him things would be different, but Addie is always there. I hardly get to talk to him at all. I only managed to get him alone to talk about Switzerland because she was getting her nails done.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “What about Switzerland?”

She took a deep breath before explaining the rest. “Addie talked him into sending me to boarding school in Switzerland over the summer. I tried to tell him that I didn’t want to go, but he wouldn’t listen.”

“Okay, that’s not happening. I don’t care what I have to do, you’re not going. I’ll figure something out.”

Buffy could see how sincere he was and how the idea of her going away terrified him. She was still finding it hard to believe that someone cared about her that much. “What could you do?” she wondered.

He ran his fingers through his hair. “I don’t really know, but I’ll think of something. No one should be forced to go anywhere they don't want to. You’ll be eighteen soon, right?”

She nodded. “I will be in about three months.”

“Right, so you would be an adult. They can’t make you go. We’ll get through this, Buffy. I won’t let them send you away. You’re not alone anymore.”

Buffy smiled and touched her lips to his, surprised that she actually made the first move.

Spike was just as shocked, but not disappointed. He returned the kiss and pulled away when breathing became an issue.

It was then that Buffy was finally able to voice what had been on her mind. “Spike, what is this? Are we just friends?”

He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “We can be whatever you want, pet. I’m fine with just being your friend, but I wouldn’t mind being your boyfriend.”

Her eyes brightened. “Really? You would want that?”

Spike smiled at how adorable she was. “Do you even need to ask? I’ve wanted you for a long time, Buffy. I’m willing to be whatever you want. There’s no pressure. If you’re not ready for me to be something more, then we can just stick to friends right now. It’s your decision.”

Buffy couldn’t believe that he was leaving the choice up to her, but she had no doubt about what it would be. “I would like to try something more.”

His smile widened and he leaned forward to press his lips to hers in a soft caress, pulling away after a moment. “Well, I guess you have yourself a boyfriend. Do you know what that means?”

“I’ve dated before when I lived in Los Angeles. Before my mother died, I seemed to do a lot more then. I just never got very far.”

Spike shook his head. “Do you know what it means now that I’m your boyfriend? You have yourself a willing slave, love. There isn’t anything I won’t do for you.”

Buffy felt her cheeks heat up. “I wouldn’t want you to be a slave. I might have moments where I’m difficult to deal with. I would understand if you decided that I wasn’t worth all of the effort. I…I wouldn’t be hurt by it. I would probably expect that to happen, but I don’t want you to think that I expect for you to do everything I say.” Anything else she might have said was cut off when Spike once again met his lips with hers.