Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 13

“That was your mother’s gallery? These are your paintings?” Spike wondered in shock.

Buffy nodded. “The gallery was in our family for decades, my mom worked hard to keep it in business. When she told me about the problems that she was having, I decided to contribute all of my recent pieces. Art was something I would do in my spare time, none of my friends ever knew about it. Believe it or not, I was popular in my old school. I was a cheerleader and dated the captain of the basketball team. I was embarrassed to tell them that I loved to paint; afraid that they would think it was stupid or something. I guess that was one reason I wanted to remain anonymous. After my mom died, it was like none of that mattered anymore. I stopped painting and lost all of my friends because I preferred to be alone. They didn’t want anything to do with me after a while. Everything completely changed when I got sent to live with my father and Addie, I felt like I didn’t belong anywhere. She always had something against me since we first met, only nice when my dad is around. He left us for her and I never forgave him for it. He gave me some crap about how my mom was smothering and he needed a way out, but I can never forgive him for choosing someone like Addie. I just wish he could see what she’s really like.” Buffy paused and looked away from his intense stare, her cheeks heating up. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to go on like that.”

Spike shook his head and stepped closer to her. “I really don’t mind. I can’t believe I’ve had your paintings in my room this whole time. I never stopped wondering who the artist was. Your work is amazing, Buffy.”

She blushed even harder when she gazed back up at him. “It’s just a hobby.”

“This is more than just a hobby, pet. You have a true gift and I don’t think it’s something you should give up. I’m sure your mother would want you to continue with it.”

Buffy let out a sigh. “Maybe I will some day, but right now I’m happy with my sketches.”

He smiled. “Well, you also have a gift with that. Okay, I’ve been waiting for years to have the artist of these wonderful masterpieces in my presence. Would you care to tell me more about them?”

Buffy smiled in return and did just that.


* * * * *


Addie barged into Buffy’s room the next day, with a large smile on her face.

Buffy placed her sketchbook back under her pillow and looked at the woman in confusion.

“You are in a lot of trouble, young lady.”

Buffy didn’t know what she was talking about, but didn’t have a chance to respond when her father suddenly showed up in the doorway.

“I want a word with you downstairs, let’s go.”

Buffy watched as he walked away, then noticed the bright grin on the step-monster’s face and just knew that she had something to do with whatever pissed off her father. She held her head up high and walked by Addie, making her way down the stairs to find him waiting in the living room. “What’s going on?” she finally asked.

Hank held up his wallet for Buffy to see. “Would you like to explain this?”

She raised her eyebrows. “Uh, I think that’s a wallet. It’s something you put money in, so I hear.”

He glared at her. “Don’t be a smart ass, Buffy. I had a hundred dollars in here and now it’s gone. What could you possibly need that would cost that much?”

Buffy was stunned; she couldn’t believe that he would actually accuse her of stealing from him. “I don’t know where it is, but I didn’t take it.”

“You expect for me to believe that? There’s no one else that could have taken it.”

Buffy felt anger take control when she remembered the satisfied smile on Addie’s face. “Why don’t you ask your beloved wife? This is just like her to take your money and have you blame me for it, because God forbid your precious Addie could do anything wrong.”

Hank was shocked that she could speak to him that way. “You leave her out of this. Addie knows that she just has to ask me if she wants to borrow some money. I want the truth, Buffy.”

She felt her eyes start to tear up, but wouldn’t cry in front of him. “I am telling you the truth. I didn’t take your money. I know she did and just wants to get me in trouble. It really hurts that you would take her side over your own daughter’s, but you never were much of a father. Let’s face it; I’ll never come first in your life.” She couldn’t stop the tears from falling at the sight of Addie’s smiling face now at the bottom of the stairs. Buffy had enough; she didn’t want to deal with them anymore. With that thought in mind, she ran out of the house and didn’t look back.


* * * * *


Spike opened the front door to see Buffy standing out there, soaking wet from the sudden downpour. He could tell that she had been crying.

“Love, what happened?” he wondered, pulling her into the house and closing the door.

“I had to get out. He accused me of stealing from him. I couldn’t stay there anymore and didn’t know where else to go.”

Spike nodded. “It’s okay; we’ll get you upstairs and out of those wet clothes. You can stay here tonight; my parents won’t be back until tomorrow.”

She shivered a little and let him lead her up the stairs.

“Dawn’s already passed out, I was about to turn in myself.”

They entered his bedroom and Spike browsed through his drawers, pulling a long nightshirt out.

“Here, you can wear this for now. It should be big enough,” he said, handing her the shirt.

Buffy took it from him, with a small smile of gratitude.

“I’ll just make you some hot chocolate while you change. You’re probably freezing,” he told her.

“Thank you, I’m sorry to just show up like this.”

He waved his hand in the air. “Don’t worry about it, I’ll be right back.”

Buffy watched him walk away, then stripped out of her sodden clothes. She put his shirt on and loved the feel of the fabric against her skin. She noticed that the shirt pretty much covered up everything.

Spike felt his breath catch in his throat once he returned to his room. She looked stunning in nothing but his shirt, but he just smiled and handed her the cup of hot chocolate.

Buffy took it with shaky fingers and breathed in the steam, already starting to warm up.

“All right, let’s get you under the covers.”

She nodded and placed the cup on his nightstand, then got into bed and looked up at him. “Where will you be sleeping?”

He shrugged. “I’ll just take the couch, it’s pretty comfortable.”

“I would feel bad about taking your bed, maybe we could share. It’s big enough for two people.”

Spike gulped and didn’t know if that was the best idea, but found himself removing his pants and shirt. It was a good thing that he was wearing boxers for a change. He got in on the other side of the bed and wrapped his arms around Buffy’s petite frame.

She snuggled up closer to him and rested her head against his shoulder. “Thank you again for letting me stay here, Spike. I don’t usually trust this easily, but I feel safe with you,” she whispered.

Spike pressed his lips to the crown of her head. “You can always feel safe with me, Buffy. That’s a promise.”

She smiled and closed her eyes, feeling at peace for the first real time in her life.