Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 15

Buffy’s books went flying to the floor. She looked up in surprise to see Megan glaring daggers at her.

“Sorry, you really seem to have this habit of getting in my way.”

Buffy retrieved her fallen books and stood up to face the cheerleader. “You crashed into me.”

Megan placed her hand over her heart. “Now, why would I do that? You shouldn’t blame your clumsiness on me, Betty.”

She figured there was no point in correcting her name and tried to walk by Megan, but the other girl wouldn’t budge.

“You know, I’m kinda glad I have you here right now. We seriously need to talk.” She didn’t wait for Buffy to respond and grabbed her arm, pulling her away from any onlookers. Megan let her go once they had some privacy. “So, I see you and Spike are pretty close lately. How the hell did that happen?”

Buffy shrugged and was already feeling uncomfortable by the conversation. “It just did, but I don’t really see how that’s any of your business.” She was stunned by the words that came out of her mouth, never making a habit of talking back to one of the most popular girls in school, but realized that it felt good.

“I just hope you know what you’re getting yourself into. Spike’s a player, he always has been. You haven’t been to this school as long as I have, so you don’t know him as well. Sure, he’ll pretend to be all nice and caring, but when he finally gets you to sleep with him, he’ll want nothing to do with you the next day. Believe me; I learned that the hard way.”

Buffy’s eyes widened, finding what she said hard to believe, but needing to ask her next question. “You and Spike were together?”

Megan waved her hand in the air. “About three years ago, we went out for a few weeks. He actually really made me fall for him, too. Spike’s a real charmer, but he only wanted sex. I was very naïve back then and fell for all of his lies. I’m the way I am today because of him. I became hard and bitchy just to protect myself. Believe it or not, but I used to be just like you. I was sweet and innocent, only cared about my schoolwork. I couldn’t even imagine ever being a cheerleader, but Spike opened up my eyes. I gave him my virginity, but it didn’t mean anything to him. That’s what Spike does; he preys on the innocent and weak. You’re a virgin, aren’t you?”

Buffy nodded, not knowing what else to say.

“Yeah, I thought so. I would be careful if I were you. If there’s one thing Spike loves, it’s taking a virgin. And then bragging to his friends about it, he won’t want anything else to do with you after that. I’m just looking out for you here. Spike’s a monster and I would hate to see the same thing happen to someone else. I feel really bad about the way I’ve treated you. I want you to know how very sorry I am,” she finished with a smile.

Buffy had a hard time believing it was a genuine one, but was too busy being stunned at everything she just found out. It couldn’t be the truth. Spike would never use her like that. Buffy tried to convince herself, but she didn’t know what to believe anymore.


* * * * *


Spike was confused by Buffy’s behavior later that day. She wouldn’t look at him in lunch; she would hardly even talk to him. He wanted to get her alone to find out what was going on, but she was up and out of the cafeteria right when the bell rang.

Xander stared after her retreating back, then turned to his friend. “What’s up with her?”

Spike shook his head. “I don’t know, but I’m going to find out.”


* * * * *


“God, you should have seen the look on her face. She was eating up everything I said. I must be a better actress than I thought.”

Harmony giggled. “I wish I could have seen that. Serves the geek right for thinking she could steal my Blondie Bear away from me.”

Megan rolled her eyes. “Keep telling yourself that, Harm.” She jumped when her locker door was slammed shut, only to notice the angry face of Spike.

“I think we need to have ourselves a little chat, Walsh.” He pulled her away, not caring if his grip was too tight.

“If you wanted to be alone with me, all you had to do was ask nicely.”

Spike let her arm go. “I want to know what you said to Buffy.”

Megan shrugged. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. Buffy is the last person I would ever be seen talking to.”

“Don’t play dumb with me, you stupid bint. I heard what you said to Harmony and I know you’re responsible for the way she was acting earlier today.”

Megan moved closer to him, trailing her hands down his chest. “I just let her know what she would be getting herself into with you. She’s a sweet kid, but nowhere near good enough for you. I know what you want, Spike. It’s not some loser virgin that has no idea how to please a man. We had some good times in the past; I can make you forget all about her.”

Spike snatched her wrists and pried her hands off of his body, getting into her face. “The only thing you can manage is to make my skin crawl. I would never touch you, do you understand that? All we had in the past was one pathetic snog that you initiated. I spent hours trying to get the taste of your whorish self out of my mouth. I was just lucky not to catch a disease.”

Megan scowled at him, not believing that he could talk to her that way. “Oh, like you’re such a saint.”

He laughed. “Compared to you? I would say that I am. Now, I’m only going to say this once, so listen carefully. If I ever see you around Buffy again, I will make you regret it. My father has a lot of power in this town; don’t think for one second that I don’t know about your mother’s illegal establishment. I haven’t said anything yet because I’m not a squealer, but if you keep pissing me off, something is bound to slip. Do I make myself clear?”

She had a look of fear on her face now. “You wouldn’t dare.”

Spike grinned. “I’m not a saint, remember?”


* * * * *


Buffy felt her eyes tear up at the sight of Spike and Megan in the distance. She couldn’t make out what they were saying, but he was standing pretty close to her and even touched her hand. Buffy wiped her eyes and couldn’t take anymore, needing to get out of there before she became a blubbering mess. With that thought in mind, she ran out of the school and didn’t look back.