Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 24

Buffy looked herself over in the mirror one last time. The dress her father picked out fit her perfectly. She felt beautiful for the first time in her life and couldn’t wait for Spike’s reaction. The doorbell suddenly rang and she knew it was Spike. Taking a deep breath, she left her room to meet him downstairs. Buffy noticed Spike talking with Hank; she couldn’t believe how amazing he looked in a tux. The bruises on his face were hardly noticeable anymore.

Spike glanced up just as Buffy headed down the stairs. He felt his breath catch in his throat at the sight of her, never before seeing anything so stunning.

Hank smiled at his daughter. “You look beautiful, honey. It means a lot that I get to be a part of this. I’ve missed so much.”

She smiled in return. “At least you’re here now, that’s all I care about.”

Hank gave her a quick hug, then left them to their privacy.

Spike moved closer to her. “You look gorgeous, pet.”

Buffy flashed him an even bigger smile. “Thanks, you look pretty good yourself.”

Spike took her hand and led her outside to his car. He had a feeling that it would be a night he would never forget.


* * * * *


They arrived at Sunnydale High about ten minutes later.

Spike got out first, then moved to Buffy’s side to open the door for her. He took her hand again once she stepped out of the car and walked up to the school together.

The gym was packed with students, colorful decorations everywhere.

They immediately found Xander and Dawn chatting at a table, heading over to join them.

Spike pulled out Buffy’s chair for her.

Buffy gave him a smile and sat down, loving how much of a gentleman he was being. She could definitely get used to this.


* * * * *


Megan was starting to lose what little patience she had left. She had been waiting outside her house for over a half an hour for her date to pick her up. She knew asking some slacker college guy would probably be a bad move, but didn’t have much of a choice. She wasn’t about to go to her homecoming dance alone. She really wanted to go with Spike, but that wouldn’t happen as long as he was with that freak. Megan didn’t understand what Spike could possibly see in her, but decided that she wasn’t going to think about them anymore. They could have each other for all she cared. Megan went to some frat party at UC Sunnydale about a week ago, and that was where she met him. He seemed really nice and charming, both of them having a bit too much to drink at the time. One thing lead to another and she ended up going back to his room. Megan wasn’t one for sleeping with guys that she barely knew, but she had been feeling a little down lately. She was a bit drunk when she asked him to the dance, shock that he actually agreed. Now that she thought about it, she didn’t even know his last name. Megan was broken out of her thoughts when he finally drove up. She didn’t bother to wait for him to get out and open the car door for her, not that he would.

“God, what took you so long?” she said, sliding into the seat and slamming the door. “I’m going to be late now.”

He rolled his eyes. “It’s just a lame school dance, you’re lucky I showed up at all.”

Megan moved closer to him and gasped. “Have you been drinking? You had the nerve to show up drunk? I think I should drive.”

He waved his hand in the air. “I’m not too drunk that I don’t know what I’m doing. You worry too much, babe. Let’s get this show on the road,” he claimed, then pulled the car out of her driveway.

“You better be right about that, Adam. I would like to make it to the dance in one piece.”


* * * * *


“Can I have everyone’s attention? It’s time to announce the Homecoming King and Queen.”

Xander patted Spike on the back. “That’s bound to be you, man.”

He rolled his eyes. “You know I don’t care about that, Harris. It’s just a bloody popularity contest.”

“This year’s King and Queen are, William Giles and Harmony Kendall.”

Everyone applauded for the results, everyone besides Buffy and Spike.

“Bloody hell, what did I do to deserve this?”

Buffy tried to force a smile on her face, but just knowing that Spike would have to dance with another woman was making her feel uneasy.

Spike groaned and got up to get his crown, rolling his eyes again at the sight of the bright smile on Harmony’s face once she received hers.

“Now it’s time for our King and Queen to have their dance, give them some room.”

The floor cleared, so it was just Spike and Harmony out there.

Harmony didn’t waste anytime to wrap her arms around him. “I told you we would win, Spikey. It’s just a shame that Megan’s not here yet. She never thought I would win. I wonder what’s taking her so long.”

Spike was trying to tune her out, not caring to think about Megan’s whereabouts at the moment. He just looked out to where Buffy was sitting, a frown on her beautiful face. The dance couldn’t end fast enough.


* * * * *


Buffy tried to focus on something else, but all she could see was Spike with his arms around another woman. She knew it didn’t mean anything, but still couldn’t help feeling insecure. She let out a relieved sigh once the music changed and other couples were allowed to join them on the floor, but frowned when she saw that Spike still had his arms around Harmony. What happened next was enough to make her heart ache. Spike was kissing her.


* * * * *


He grabbed her by the shoulders and shoved her away.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Harmony smiled. “Duh, I was kissing you. I know you feel something for me, Blondie Bear. Betty is just temporary insanity, until you realize I’m the one you really want.”

Spike could feel a migraine coming on. “Get this through your blonde head; I will never want anything to do with you. Buffy is the one I love and I would never choose some halfwit over her. You and Megan are really pathetic, you know that? I suggest you find a bloke that is desperate enough for the likes of you. I have a girl to get back to,” he stated, then walked away to search for Buffy.


* * * * *


“There you are. I’ve been looking everywhere for you,” Spike commented once he finally found Buffy by the restrooms.

She suddenly felt a chill and wrapped her arms around herself. “I didn’t think you would notice. I saw you kissing Harmony, you guys seemed pretty cozy.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “You can’t seriously tell me you thought that meant anything? The bint kissed me out of nowhere; I stopped her right when it happened.”

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know what to think.”

Spike was starting to feel angered. “Well, let me clarify it for you. I love you, Buffy. I think I’ve proved that to you a few million times by now. You know you can trust me, I’m not about to throw away what we have for some ditz like that. If there’s one thing I don’t do, it’s cheat on my girlfriend. I’ve had it done to me before and would never wish that on anyone. I really thought you knew me better than that, but maybe I was wrong,” with that said, he made his way out of the gym.

Buffy couldn’t believe that she ever doubted him. She knew Spike would never do anything to hurt her. It was just her years of dealing with disappointment that tended to cloud her judgment. It was time to finally put the past behind her. With that thought in mind, she took off after Spike.


* * * * *


“I can’t believe you had to stop for more beer and cigarettes. I probably missed the King and Queen announcement by now.”

Adam ignored Megan’s insistent prattling. The only reason he agreed to take her to the stupid dance in the first place was because he was extremely drunk at the time, and he knew Spike Giles went to the high school. The bleached idiot got away from him and his friends before they were finished. This time, he wouldn’t let him get away.

“Are you even listening to me?”

Adam groaned in annoyance and finally reached Sunnydale High, but something made him stop. He grinned at the sight of Spike Giles leaving the school. It looked to be his lucky day; the little jerk wouldn’t even see it coming. Adam started to speed up, not paying attention to Megan’s yells in the background. Nothing could stop him now.


* * * * *


“Spike, wait up! We need to talk about this.”

He turned around to glare at her. “I think we’ve talked enough. You said you trusted me, that you felt safe with me. Was that all a lie?”

Buffy shook her head. “Of course it wasn’t, I do trust you. I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have assumed the worst. Let’s just go back inside.”

Spike let out a sigh. “You go back inside, Buffy. I need to be alone right now.”

Buffy sighed as well when he walked away from her again. She was about to head back into the school to give him the space he wanted, but the screeching of tires stopped her. She glanced up to see a car heading right for Spike. It didn’t look like he noticed and Buffy had to think quickly. It was too late to yell for him, so she ran with all the speed that she possessed. Buffy reached his side and without giving much thought to her actions, pushed him out of the way before he could even realize what was happening, only to have the car crash into her instead. She smashed into the windshield and fell to the ground, the car then swerved out of control and right into a nearby pole.