Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 27

Spike didn’t know what it was, but he suddenly had a really bad feeling. He was known for following his instincts, they never usually failed. It was that thought which had him rushing back into the hospital room, not expecting the sight before him.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Addie pulled away with a start, a glare on her face for being interrupted. “I was just paying my step-daughter a visit. I didn’t realize that was a crime.”

Spike was cursing himself for actually believing she was a nurse. “I saw what you were going to do, you crazy bitch. Get away from her,” he said in a surprisingly calm voice.

“What is with the youth today? No one knows how to respect their elders anymore.”

Spike clenched his fists at his side, but whatever else he would have said was stopped by the arrival of Buffy’s father, along with her doctor.

Hank stared at Addie. “What are you doing here?”

She gave him a smile. “I was just paying my respects, honey. I’m not the horrible person she made you think I am.”

Spike shook his head. “She’s bloody lying; I saw her try and stop Buffy’s breathing.”

Hank was appalled, knowing the young man was telling the truth. “You tried to kill my daughter? I never realized how completely heartless you were. What did you hope to accomplish?”

“She’s ruining our lives. You see what she’s putting you through? I just wanted it all to be over. You would be so much happier without her.”

The doctor moved further into the room, having heard enough. “Let’s go, ma’am. You’re not supposed to be in here. I’m going to call the police and have them deal with you.”

Addie struggled in the man’s grasp, but let him lead her out of the room.

Hank stopped him for a second. “She has some papers to sign first. I’m done after that, Addie. I don’t want anything else to do with you.”

A soft gasp had them all turning their attention on the girl lying in bed.

Spike immediately went over to Buffy’s side, seeing that her eyes were slowly opening. He felt tears cloud his vision, lowering his head to kiss the hand he was holding. Beyond relieved that he didn’t lose her. “Welcome back, baby.”

Hank smiled at them, glad to see his daughter awake. He then watched the doctor take Addie out of the room, following after them to leave the couple to their privacy. He was more determined than ever to get her to sign those papers and finally be done with their so-called marriage.

Spike didn’t notice that anyone left the room, too focused on Buffy. “I knew you would come back to me, love. I never gave up hope.”

Buffy reached out to caress his cheek. “I…I heard you sing. It was beautiful,” she responded hoarsely.

He blushed and raised her hand to his lips, giving it another kiss. “No one will ever hurt you again, Buffy. I’ll see to that.”

“It wasn’t your fault, Spike. Everything’s going to be okay now.”

He nodded and really believed that it would be.


* * * * *


Buffy was released from the hospital a few days later, which she couldn’t be happier about. She was recovering well and just wanted to get out of there.

Spike drove her to her house, getting out of the car to help her with her crutches. The doctor said she would only need them for a couple of weeks.

Her eighteenth birthday was in a month and she just prayed to be rid of them by then.

Spike helped her into the house, even though she claimed to be perfectly capable of doing it herself. He wasn’t about to let her out of his sight.

Buffy gasped in shock when she noticed the decorations in her living room. Her father and friends were all there, ready to welcome her home.

Dawn hugged Buffy, followed by Xander.

Hank was next in line and placed a kiss to her forehead. “It’s good to have you home, sweetie. This place hasn’t been the same without you.”

“I’m just really glad to be back. Hospital food is horrible,” she said with distaste.

Jenny and Giles were also there, both glad for Buffy’s recovery.

Spike wrapped his arms around her, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. “I love you,” he whispered in her ear.

Buffy turned in his embrace. “I love you, too. About what you said in the hospital, I think you should really consider playing guitar again. I would love to hear you, and you have a great voice. Of course, I was a bit out of it, but it still was enough to wake me up. It was knowing you were there that helped me come back.”

He nuzzled her throat. “I’ll always be there.”

“Did you really write that song for me?”

Spike nodded. “It just came to me one day.”

Buffy smiled. “I would love to hear the rest of it.”

He smiled as well. “That might just be arranged.”


* * * * *


“I can’t believe I’m bloody doing this. I haven’t been on a stage in years, and it wasn’t with an audience this big.”

Xander rolled his eyes. “Come on, Spike. You said you would do this for Buffy; you can’t back out of it now. It’s only the Bronze, not a huge stadium.”

Spike nodded. “Right, for Buffy, I can do this.”

Xander patted him on the back. “That’s the spirit. Good luck, we’ll be right in the front,” he said and headed out into the audience, leaving Spike to stare after him nervously from the back of the stage.

“Oh, that makes me feel so much better.”


* * * * *


Buffy sat at the table with Xander and Dawn, anxiously waiting for Spike’s appearance. She had no idea that he would perform the song in front of all of these people; she assumed he would do it when it was just the two of them. She had to admit that the thought of him singing to her on stage was really appealing, but could only imagine how nervous he was. The lights dimmed and she took a deep breath as Spike walked onto the stage. The crowd cheered for him, mostly the girls. That would have bothered Buffy before, but now she didn’t think much about it. She was too fixated on her boyfriend.

Spike sat down on the stool and looked out to the audience, instantly meeting Buffy’s eyes. He grabbed his guitar and spoke into the microphone. “This song is for my girl. I love you, baby.”

Buffy blushed and noticed a lot of envious stares in her direction, but she was too intrigued once Spike started to strum the guitar. Her breath catching in her throat as he began to sing.


There's a song that's inside of my soul
It's the one that I've tried to write over and over again
I'm awake in the infinite cold
But you sing to me over and over and over again

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
and pray to be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope

Sing to me of the song of the stars
Of your galaxy dancing and laughing
and laughing again
When it feels like my dreams are so far
Sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again

And I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope

I give you my apathy
I'm giving you all of me
I want your symphony
Singing in all that I am
At the top of my lungs I'm giving it back

And I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope



Spike finished the song and was worried when he saw tears streaming down her face, hoping he wasn’t that bad. The crowd burst into applause, but his eyes remained on Buffy.

She quickly stood up and made her way onto the stage, attacking Spike in a big hug.

He was surprised by the gesture, but definitely not disappointed. “I take it this means it was okay?”

Buffy shook her head and pulled away to look at him. “It was amazing, Spike. Thank you, I couldn’t ask for a better gift.”

Spike wiped one of her tears away with his thumb. “The pleasure was all mine. Happy birthday, sweetheart.”

She smiled and pressed her lips to his tenderly. “Best birthday ever.”