Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 4

Buffy had it a few days later. Her father talked to her about going away to Switzerland and it took all of her effort not to tell him that she didn’t want to go. She wanted to tell him exactly what the step-monster said to her, but figured that he would never listen. He wasn’t likely to believe anything negative about the woman he married. The woman he cheated on her mother for. Buffy had to put up with a lot since her mother died, but not anymore. She was officially done dealing with any of it. They could live happily ever after for all she cared and not have to worry about her screwing up everything. She hoped that things would have gotten better after her breakdown in Los Angeles, but that just wasn’t the case. She was just so tired and wanted it all to be over. Buffy took a deep breath when she reached her locker. The decision was made; this would be her last day at Sunnydale High. There was nothing left for her there. She didn’t want to live anymore.


* * * * *


Spike watched her walk over to her locker and took in a deep breath. It was time; he was finally going to ask Buffy Summers out. He just prayed that he had the guts to do it, without making a complete ass out of himself. This wasn’t a feeling that he was used to. He never would have been nervous to ask any other girl out, but Buffy was different. There was something really special about her and he wanted to find out everything. Spike headed in her direction at the same time that she closed her locker door and turned around, only to collide with him.

Buffy’s eyes widened when they met his.

He smiled to make her feel better. “We really have to stop meeting like this.”

Buffy felt her heart race and wondered why he came over to her. “Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention.”

Spike waved his hand in the air. “Don’t worry about it. I actually wanted to talk to you about something.”

Buffy figured that he probably needed help with an assignment. Why else would the most popular guy in school talk to her? “Oh, did you need me to tutor you?”

Spike was taken aback by her question. He wasn’t expecting that. Did she think he was stupid? God, he hoped not. “No, my grades are fine. I was just wondering if maybe you wanted to go to the Espresso Pump after school with me. That is if you’re not doing anything else. We could get a cup of coffee and talk.”

Buffy didn’t understand why he would want to go anywhere with her. He never seemed to notice her before. “Why would you want to do that?” she voiced her thoughts and really wished that she could shut up, he might change his mind.

Spike shrugged. “Well, we’ve been in the same classes since last year and we really don’t know each other. I was hoping to change that.”

Buffy looked around the halls to see if there were any other students waiting to laugh at her when Spike revealed that it was all a joke. He just couldn’t be serious, but looking into his eyes, he did actually seem sincere. She didn’t believe that anyone could be that good of a liar. After what felt like forever, she finally accepted his offer. “Okay, that sounds good. I mean, I didn’t exactly have any other plans.”

A bright smile lit up his face. “That’s great; I guess I’ll meet you at your locker after school. Did you drive here?”

Buffy shook her head. “I just walk; it’s not that far from where I live.”

He nodded. “That’s fine; we can go in my car. I can give you a ride home afterwards.”

Buffy nodded as well, still surprised that this conversation was even taking place.

Spike suddenly did something completely unexpected for both of them. He leaned closer to her and placed a kiss on her cheek. “I’ll see you after school,” he said with a smile, then turned and walked away.

Buffy was stunned and caressed the spot where his lips touched, a small smile forming on her face. Things were finally starting to look up. Maybe she wasn’t quite ready to end her life yet; it looked like she finally found something worth living for.


* * * * *


“So, why did you move to this crap town? You’re from Los Angeles, right?”

Buffy nodded and really wanted to avoid telling him the truth of her past in LA. It wasn’t something she cared to relive. “My dad got transferred for work and we had to relocate here,” she explained, taking a sip from her cappuccino. “What does your dad do?”

Spike was surprised that she hadn’t heard of his father, which made him like her all the more. “He’s a pretty powerful lawyer. He’s won every case pretty much since I’ve been born. I don’t know of him ever losing. He’s put a lot of criminals behind bars. They’re obviously not so fond of him, but everyone else in town idolizes him.”

“Wow, he sounds great.”

Spike agreed and looked away from her. Sure, his father was a great man when it came to everyone else, but he wasn’t always there for his own kids. The job seemed to be more important to him. “So, do you have any plans for this weekend?” he asked, changing the subject.

Buffy shook her head, not wanting him to know that she technically hadn’t planned on living to see the weekend. The idea of killing herself didn’t seem so appealing now. Besides, with her luck she would probably fail again and be forced into another mental institution. “I just have homework and stuff around the house to do.”

He smiled. “There’s this bonfire thing that’s being held at the beach on Saturday. Would you like to go with me?”

Buffy couldn’t believe that he was actually asking her out again, but figured it wasn’t a date. He was probably just being nice and telling the truth about wanting to get to know her. That was all it was, maybe he just wanted to be her friend for some reason. She was starting to get more and more suspicious by his actions. Spike was really popular, but he was the only one that never teased or ridiculed her. It was still hard to believe that he could ever really be interested in someone like her. She wasn’t popular and attractive like the other girls. She was just basically there to take up space. “I…I don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” she replied, cursing herself for stuttering.

His smile faded a bit. “Oh, that’s okay. We don’t have to go there if you don’t want to. We could always do something else.”

“You should go, they’re your friends. I don’t really belong there.” Buffy stood up and suddenly wanted to be elsewhere. “I should be getting home now. You don’t have to drive me; it’s really not that far. Thanks again for the cappuccino. I’ll find a way to pay you back,” she told him, then quickly made her way out of the Espresso Pump.

Spike watched her walk away with confusion, wondering what could have gone wrong. It seemed like they were making some progress. He thought that Buffy was starting to like him, but she was probably just waiting to find an excuse to leave. Spike didn’t know what to do, but he wasn’t about to give up on her now. There was no doubt in his mind that this girl was the one for him, he just had to make her realize it.