Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 5

Buffy felt numb when she reached her bedroom. Her father actually decided to send her away after graduation. It didn’t matter what she wanted, or that she was almost eighteen. He kept saying that it would be for her own good, but she knew better. He just wanted to be rid of her for a few months, just like when he sent her to stay at the clinic. She rested her head against the door of her room and continued to let the tears fall, surprised that she even had any left in her. It was all just too much. Buffy wondered if she would ever matter to anyone. She suddenly remembered something and moved over to her nightstand, rummaging through her drawer until she found what she was looking for. Buffy took a deep breath as she pulled out the pocket knife that she kept in there. Her father never knew that she had it. She then lifted the blade up and gazed at the sharp edges, knowing that it could take away all of her pain. Buffy lowered the blade to her arm, then stopped when she realized what she was doing. She gasped and dropped the knife to the floor, stepping away from it. A pounding on the door halted her from giving in to more tears.

“Dinner’s ready!” her father yelled before making his way back down the stairs.

Buffy didn’t know how she was going to face sitting through another dinner of them pretending to be the perfect family.


* * * * *


It was the first time in over a year that Buffy found an Art class to be boring. She usually looked forward to it, but now she just wanted to be elsewhere. She spent the time doodling in her notebook as the teacher went on about nothing that mattered to her, anxiously waiting for the bell to ring.

“God, what a total snooze fest. How could one man be so dull?”

Buffy turned away from her drawing to stare at the girl that spoke, shocked when she saw that it was Dawn Giles. She was just as popular as Spike and Buffy was always intimidated by her. Dawn got transferred into her Art class a few weeks ago, but never once talked to Buffy. “Um, yeah, majorly dull.” She cringed at how lame that sounded, but didn’t know what else to say.

Dawn agreed. “I don’t even know why I’m in this class. I can barely make decent stick figures. What were you drawing?”

Buffy placed her hands over her notebook to shield it from the brunette’s view. “It’s nothing.”

Dawn rolled her eyes and pushed Buffy’s hands away. “That is so not nothing. You’re pretty good. Who’s it supposed to be?”

Buffy blushed and glanced down at her drawing. “She’s my mom. It’s really not that great.”

“You’re being modest. My brother would love that. He’s such a geek when it comes to artwork. You should see his room. Most guys in high school would have band posters up, but not Spike. His walls are full of paintings that he bought at some gallery. He can’t do any himself, but he likes to admire other people’s work. Do you paint?”

Buffy was taken by surprise at the fact that Spike was a fan of art. She never would have expected that from him, then tuned back in to what Dawn was saying. “I used to, but I’m just more about sketching now.”

Dawn nodded. “I think it works for you. What’s your name again?”

“Buffy Summers,” she replied softly, figuring that the other girl wouldn’t have a clue who she was.

“Cool, I’m Dawn.”

It was Buffy’s turn to nod. “I know who you are. I think everyone in school does.”

Dawn rolled her eyes again. “They know of me, but they don’t actually know me. Let me guess, you heard that I’m some stuck up snob, right? That I only care about money and appearance? Or that I’m basically easy and will put out for anyone?”

Buffy looked away, which gave Dawn the answer that she needed.

“I thought so. It’s all a bunch of crap. They don’t really know anything about us.”

Buffy was seeing the older girl in a new light. She felt ashamed that she actually believed some of the rumors. “Why don’t you tell them the truth?”

“These people will believe what they want. We try not to let it get to us. Besides, being popular is kind of fun. I love having these lowlifes eat out the palm of my hand.”

Buffy gave a tiny smile. “That must be nice.”


* * * * *


They walked out together when they were finally dismissed from Art class.

Buffy was enjoying having someone to talk to, but the joy was soon replaced with nervousness when Spike headed over to them.

His eyes widened at the sight of Buffy talking with his sister.

She quickly thought of a way out. “I have to get something from my locker. It was nice to finally meet you, Dawn.”

“Likewise, we should hang out some time.”

Buffy was stunned by her request, but only nodded and took off in the opposite direction.

Spike finally made it over to Dawn, confused by why Buffy hurried to get away. “What was that about?” he wondered.

Dawn shrugged. “She had to get something out of her locker. That was Buffy; she could be a new friend. I hardly have any real ones at this school. It’s nice to meet people that won’t judge you all of the time.”

Spike finally looked at his sister when he couldn’t see Buffy anymore. “I know who she is. I just didn’t realize that you knew her.”

“Well, I didn’t really. I’ve seen her around, but this was the first time that we actually talked. She’s pretty cool.”

Spike agreed and was lost in his own thoughts. “Bloody amazing is how I would describe her. You should invite her over to the house for dinner one night. She can get to know the whole family. I mean, that’s what you’re supposed to do with friends.”

Dawn raised her eyebrows. “Okay, you’re freaking me out. Did you just say that she was amazing?” Her eyes brightened when she noticed him blush. “Oh my god, she’s the girl that you’re crushing on?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. How do you know that I’m interested in anyone?”

She couldn’t believe how dense he was. “Duh, I’ve seen your poetry. You just leave it laying around for anyone to find.”

Spike glared at her. “I left them in my room, which you’re not supposed to go in without asking. I could have written about anything.”

“Hmm, I don’t know. I remember seeing a line about golden hair like the sun, but I suppose that could be anything. Oh, maybe you wrote about Harmony,” she said teasingly.

“You’re bloody daft if you think I would waste poetry on that bird. Buffy’s hair is more gold than…” He trailed off at the triumphant expression on her face. “You’re a brat.”

Dawn grinned. “Yeah, but I love it when I’m right.”

“You better not tell her about the poems,” Spike warned.

She waved her hand in the air. “Your secret is safe with me, but I did kind of reveal about your love of paintings.”

His eyes bulged. “You have a five second head start.”

Dawn let out a squeal as Spike chased her down the hall.