Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 7

“That was nice of Dawn to invite Buffy over like that.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Don’t make it sound like she’s some kind of angel, Harris. She did it to make me uncomfortable, and probably to say embarrassing things about me. I know you’re in love with my sister and all, but sometimes she’s just pure evil.”

Xander sighed as he gazed across the cafeteria at Dawn, who was laughing and smiling with a few of the jocks. “No way, Spike. Evil can’t be that hot. Man, your sister is looking sexy today.” He realized that was the wrong thing to say when he noticed the glare on Spike’s face. “Sorry about that, but I can’t help the way I feel. I would give anything to have her look at me like that.”

Spike couldn’t exactly blame his friend for that. He felt the same way when it came to Buffy. He noticed that his girl was once again at the same table, her focus on the notebook in front of her. “What do you suppose she’s always writing in that book?”

Xander shrugged and knew that he wasn’t talking about Dawn. “I don’t know. It looks like it could be a journal or something.”

Spike could see that she was very resolute with whatever she was writing. She was hardly paying attention to anyone around her. It was just another Buffy mystery that he was determined to figure out.


* * * * *


Buffy glanced down at her new sketch once it was finished. It was by far her favorite one of Spike. She knew that it was risky to be drawing him so much in school, but she couldn’t help it. There was always something about him that inspired her. She then felt saddened when she thought back to the other day at Spike and Dawn’s house. She hadn’t been able to stop thinking about the end of their conversation, the only part she was able to overhear. Spike was telling Dawn that he would have liked a warning about her being there. That led her to believe that he really didn’t want her there. Buffy really couldn’t blame him, but she was at least grateful that Dawn seemed to be giving her a chance. It was more than she ever thought she would have. Buffy was too lost in her thoughts to notice that someone appeared behind her and before she knew it, her sketchbook was snatched away.

“Well, what do we have here?”

Buffy panicked when she realized it was Megan Walsh. The cheerleader always went out of her way to make Buffy miserable. “Can…Can I please have my book back?” she pleaded, hating the fact that she stuttered again.

Megan wouldn’t budge. “Isn’t this sweet? There’s like tons of pictures of Spike in here. That’s just really pathetic. I can’t believe you of all people have a crush on the most popular guy in school. Like he would ever even know you exist,” she claimed with a laugh.

Buffy noticed that a few of Megan’s friends joined her, all of them just as amused by this new turn of events. She just wanted her book back and to get out of there, but that didn’t seem likely to happen.

“These are pretty good; it’s just a shame that they’re pointless. Hey, Harm, check these out.”

Harmony Kendall moved over to Megan and peered at the sketchbook, her eyes widening. “Hey, that’s my Blondie Bear!” she screeched and caused a few heads in the cafeteria to glance in their direction to see what the commotion was about, including Spike.

Megan rolled her eyes. “He’s not your anything. Betty here thinks that she would actually have a chance with Spike. Isn’t that just hilarious?”

Those around her giggled and Buffy felt like crawling into a black hole.

Megan gave her a sinister grin. “Why don’t we let him be the judge?” she said, just as Spike walked over to them.

“What’s going on?” he wondered.

Megan licked her lips, always happy to be in his presence. “Just a little something that you should see. I think Summers has been stalking you, Spike. You might need to get a restraining order.”

Buffy felt like her heart would stop when Megan handed him her sketchbook. She couldn’t believe this was happening. He would definitely want nothing to do with her now.

Spike browsed through a few of the pages, shock completely taking over his features when he realized that most of the book was filled with pictures of him. He glanced away and turned his attention on Buffy, who had a look of fear on her face.

Buffy couldn’t take anymore. She could handle the harsh words and ridicule from the rest of the school. She was pretty much used to it by now, but she couldn’t handle it from him. With that thought in mind, she bounded to her feet and took off running out of the cafeteria. Not looking back once.


* * * * *


Spike was about to tell Buffy how much he appreciated her work, but never got the chance when she ran off. The others were still laughing and making fun of her. He didn’t know why he never realized how cruel they were before; maybe they just hid that around him. He was infuriated and slammed a nearby textbook that he found on the table, it did the trick when everyone immediately stopped.

“What the bloody hell gives any of you the right to treat someone like that? That girl never did anything to you. If I see anyone bothering her again, you’ll have me to answer to,” he spat and took off to find Buffy, leaving a lot of confused stares behind him.


* * * * *


Spike found Dawn outside of the girl’s restroom and ran over to her.

She was relieved to see him. “Buffy’s in one of the stalls. I tried to talk to her, but she won’t come out. She just keeps crying.”

Spike felt his heart break and knew that he had to make things right. “I’m going in there; you make sure that no one comes in.”

Dawn nodded and watched the door when Spike walked inside, knowing that he would be able to get through to her.


* * * * *


Spike could clearly hear her sobs once he entered the bathroom. He found the stall that she was in and knocked on the door.

“Buffy, are you okay?” he asked, even though he knew that there was no way she could be. He was relieved when the crying stopped and she opened the door. Her eyes watery and red from the tears, which just made him want to protect her all the more.

Buffy quickly wiped her eyes when she caught him staring.

Spike didn’t know what else to do and just handed her back the sketchbook. “I believe this belongs to you.”

Buffy took the book from him and started to feel more tears stream down her face. “I’m so sorry. I…I didn’t mean to.”

He was confused about why she would be apologizing to him. “You don’t have anything to be sorry for. Those bloody idiots are the ones that should be apologizing. Did you really draw all of those?”

Buffy nodded and wondered if he was going to tell her to stay away from him now, but an expression of awe took over his features instead.

Spike wiped one of her tears away and graced her with a soft smile. “They’re amazing, Buffy. You really see me like that?”

Buffy nodded again, not knowing what else to say. “I always see you,” she whispered, praying that she wouldn’t regret it.

Spike felt his heart swell now. He couldn’t believe that she actually had feelings for him, but that’s what it seemed like. “I always see you, too. You have no bloody idea,” he finally admitted, then captured her lips with his.