Author's Chapter Notes:
Please leave a review and thanks to Evelyne for the betaing....
Chapter Eighteen

Buffy was racing down the stairs with Spike at her heels yelling at her to slow down before she fell.

“Buffy, pet, you’re going to fall arse over tit in a minute, so slow the bloody hell down.”

He knew she wanted to follow the bloody light that Willow had magi ked up to find the lost codex, but this was just bleeding dangerous.

“Come on, hurry up Spike, we are going to lose it, hurry will you.”

She was getting more and more hectic while trying to keep up with the light. She was afraid that she would miss where it went and more time would be wasted to find the codex or to do another spell. The light was now dancing outside the nursery door just as Xander opened it.

”Xander, come, help us follow that light!” she hollered as the light started once again to dart forward and down the next lot of steps in the direction of the ground floor of the house.

Xander was slightly bemused to see Buffy charging around the house and Spike yelling at her to slow down while Dawn, Drusilla, Willow and Giles followed behind the both of them already slightly out of breath. Stepping out in front of Giles he stopped the procession in its tracks.

“What’s going on G-man? What’s the entire hullabaloo about? And why is Buffy running after specks of light and telling us all to follow them, are we the new wise men or what?

“Xander how many times have I told you not to call me that ridiculous name? Get out of our way, we are trying to keep up with Spike and Buffy and not all of us have super-human speed or are vampires like them.”

“I am!“ Drusilla piped up from behind him. She was standing there with a little girlish smile on her face, holding her doll in one hand and Dawn’s hand in the other. She may be helping them now, but she learned quickly that it was fun to rile up the older watcher.

“Giles, do you know Drusilla is loose and not chained up?”

Xander commented in shock at seeing the vampiress on the loose in the Summer’s home without any real guard on her to keep her under control and to top it all, holding Dawn’s hand. If she decided to turn on her, she wouldn’t stand a chance against the crazy vampiress.

“Get out of the bloody way Xander and yes, of course we know she isn’t chained up, do you think I wouldn’t have noticed that she was running with us? She is helping us at this moment, aren’t you Drusilla?”

“Yes, I’m helping my Dark prince to get rid of the bad daddy again.”

Drusilla was hoping that Spike would be pleased with her for not eating the pretty green light and following the instructions the older watcher man gave her, but now the silly little watcher with the one eye had stopped them and the sunshine and her William were out of her sight.

She had begun to feel hungry; she could smell Spike’s childe near her and maybe Beatrice knew where the sunshine kept her dark prince’s cold dinners. She didn’t want to be bad and eat anyone by accident. Whispering to Dawn she told her of the tummy rumbling she felt, surely she’d get Beatrice to help her find food.

“Xander, Drusilla is hungry. Get out of the way like Giles told you. I need to get her to Beatrice and if you want to be helpful, watch Tara while we find Buffy and Spike and get her fed. Beatrice, I need your help!”

Dawn yelled through the hall in the direction of Buffy and Spike’s bedroom to the other vampiress present in the house.

Beatrice opened the bedroom door and appeared head bowed, then turned to Dawn.

“You called Dawn. How may I help you? My sire said that I was to look after Tara until she needed her next feeding.”

“What? Since when do you call Spike sire?” Dawn asked in shock at the answer she had gotten from the vampiress.

“Since I was told, that I was to obey his orders a short while ago and that’s why I better head back to Tara just like I was said to do.”

Beatrice didn’t want to receive another harsh tongue lashing from Spike and she really needed to get back to the child she had been ordered to mind, while Buffy and Spike searched for the lost codex with Willow’s help.

“Well, I need you to come with me. Xander is going to take care of Tara for the moment, because your grand sire is hungry and we need to feed her as soon as possible, don’t you think?”

Dawn needed her help and if Spike protested or went to discipline the other vampiress, she would tell him she needed the help from her to control his sire.

“Very well Dawn, I’ll come straight away if Master Xander is staying with Tara?”

Beatrice allowed Xander to pass by her and into Buffy and Spike’s room where Tara lay sleeping in her crib.

“Come along Dawn, we must find the others and see where the light took them!”

Giles had already started again to follow the long gone couple down the stairs to follow the light.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~

At the bottom of the stairs, just outside the drawing room, the light had hesitated from bouncing against the outside door to be let out, then changed direction again and went flying under the edge of the door and into the drawing room.

Flinging the door open, Buffy burst into the room, shocking Eve who sat on the chair by the fireplace going through some of Andrew’s notes. Jumping up from her seat she looked at Buffy as she was asked, “Where’d it go?”

“Verzeihung, wo ging was hin?” Eve asked in German forgetting that Buffy couldn’t under stand her.

“What did you say Eve? I don’t speak German.”

“Pardon me, Buffy. Where did what go? Forgive my slip of manners; I was just shocked by your sudden entrance.”

Eve was still trying to find out what Buffy wanted, when Spike came through the door bumping into his mate and falling over her as she was just inside the door.

“Buffy, for fuck sake, I yell at you all the way from the attic and down the stairs to slow down and then you just suddenly stop. What the bloody hell are you playing at?”

Spike wanted to find out where the spark had gone as eager as Buffy, but at the moment he was busy picking himself up off the floor from his sudden stop from bumping into Buffy.

“Eve, did you see it. Did you see where the light went?”

Buffy once again asked the shocked assistant.

“Ah, the light that came from under the door. It flew up behind the portrait of Mister Spike’s mother.”

Now that Eve knew what they were looking for, it was easy to answer the Slayer and her chosen mate.

Running from where she stood, Buffy went to the fireplace and tried to get the portrait down, but because she was only 5’ 2” tall and the mantle was at the same height as her head, she couldn’t reach the picture above the mantle. She tried jumping up and down to get a grip on the portrait, but that wasn’t working either.

“Spike, get a chair help me!”

Dragging the chaise lounge nearer to the fireplace and hoping that the flames didn’t scorch the material, Spike climbed up on the furniture and lifted the large picture without any effort down from its home of over a hundred years.

The rest of the procession entered through the door, just as the portrait was placed on the floor, with the bright spark buzzing around the canvases backside. Spike looked down and there in a satin clutch bag, sewn to the underside of the painting he saw the shape of the missing Codex…

Tbc…