Author's Chapter Notes:
there is are a few little snippets of diologue from one of my fav movies...see if you can point them out!

not mine by the way so dont sue
Chapter 16: Cruelty

It had been three days and Drusilla had yet to show her face in town again. Spike was starting to wonder if those vamps were just talking shit. Buffy and Spike continued to let their relationship grow stronger every day and refused to let anything get in the way.

Buffy’s friends weren’t as happy about it as she was but that didn’t bother her. Xander had the biggest problem of them all. He had been keeping quiet all this time but now that Buffy was actually seeing Spike, He started to voice his opinions.

“I just think that Spike might be playing you Buffy. He’s a vampire, and we know full well that vampires aren’t good people…hell they’re not people at all!” Xander exclaimed while sitting in the kitchen with Buffy.

The brunette had called earlier claiming that he had something to talk to her about. She innocently invited him over for lunch, as she would be alone in the house anyway. “Are you kidding me? He has done nothing but prove himself to me and everyone else since we met him, Xander. He killed his family for us and for this town!” Buffy defended strongly.

“What if it’s all part of some devious plan that he has…earn our trust, your love so that he can turn his back on us and kill us all?” Xander rambled on.

Buffy rolled her eyes at him, and walked around the island she was standing behind. “That’s bullshit Xan, and you know it. If Spike was going to kill us all he would have done it by now. Why if this all coming up now? If you were feeling this way why didn’t you mention it sooner?” Buffy questioned grabbing a drink from the fridge.

Xander ignored her question and continued. “Look Buff, all I’m saying if for you to be careful…to watch your back because he might stab you in it.”

Both people didn’t even hear the man walking up the basement steps. “Who might stab you in the back?” Spike asked Buffy in a matter of fact way. He glanced at the boy still seated on the stool. “Hello whelp.”

“Oh…that damn principal Snyder. He always had it out for Buffy. Listen Buff, I’m going to head out I got a few things to do. Thanks for lunch. Spike.” He gave a nod in Spike’s direction and left the house.

Spike stepped out from the doorway and walked towards Buffy. After placing a soft kiss on her lips, he spoke. “The whelp wasn’t really talking about Snyder, was he? He was talkin’ ‘bout me.” he stated tilting his head slightly. Buffy gave him a deer in headlights look, and he continued. “I heard you guys as I was coming through the sewer in the basement. Vampire hearing remember?”

Buffy sighed, and looked down at her hands that were playing with the hem of her shirt. “I’m sorry Spike. Nobody else feels that way, especially not me. And that’s what matters, right? Who cares what anyone else says.” The slayer smiled and wrapped her arms around his waist.

Spike smiled back and hugged her to his chest placing a kiss to her forehead. “Your right…you are all I care about. Nobody else matters.” Spike pulled away to catch her eyes. “You know that right? You’re the only thing to me right now that makes sense.” He took a deep breath. “I’m falling for you; hard and fast and that scares me a little.” He gazed intensely at her, his eyes showing nothing but truth.

Buffy couldn’t stop the tears that welled up in her bright green eyes. “Don’t be scared.” She caressed his cool face with the back of her warm hand. “Because I’ll be there to catch you…all I ask is that you don’t hurt me.”

Spike shook his head fervently, and gently placed both of his hands on her neck, his thumbs softly rubbing the skin in front of her ears. “I’ll never hurt you, luv. That’s the last thing I’d ever want to do.” His eyes locked in on hers and he leaned in for a kiss. It quickly heated up, and they both pulled away after a few minutes, resting their foreheads on the other. Spike continued to hold Buffy’s gaze mesmerized by her eyes. The thoughts running through his head were intense, and he didn’t know how to express them.

The golden goddess smiled so brightly at him he thought he might be blind from it. “What?” Spike whispered.

She leaned into kiss him once again, short but sweet. And she whispered back against his lips. “I love you too.”

He closed his eyes and let the tear fall.

* * * * *

Drusilla watched the scene play out from the back porch. This was it the moment she was waiting for. A smirk crossed her face. Spike would be hers again, finally.

Spike kissed her passionately, feeling his heart swell at her admission. She knew him so well…knew that he loved her without even having to voice his feelings. This woman was exactly what he needed to keep him grounded to keep him strong in fighting Drusilla. Spike could almost swear that his heart was beating…he frowned and pulled away from Buffy’s lips. The clenching in his chest started to burn, and started to spread throughout his body.

He screamed in agony, and threw himself away from her arms and collapsed to the ground clutching his stomach and chest, curling into the fetal position trying to alleviate the pain.

“Spike!” the slayer’s eyes widened in horror. Buffy fell to the ground and attempted to pull him into her arms. “Oh my God…what’s happening?” she whispered to herself in shock.

“ARRGGHH!” Spike rolled around. “It hurts…Buffy.” He said her name with so much pain in his voice that she sobbed for him. He shakily reached for her hand and squeezed it in his. She welcomed the pain, if it made what he was going through any better.

“Just-just hold on okay? You’re gonna be okay…I’m gonna get you some help.” Buffy tried to release herself from him, but the vampire held on strong.

“No…just stay here…don’t leave, please.” He begged. He sounded so vulnerable right now and that scared her. His eyes slowly started the flutter shut, and Spike’s body seemed to relax.

Buffy sighed in relief. She noticed his chest was still moving up and down as he let air into his lungs by force of habit. “Spike? Look at me baby…” when he did, his once expressive blue eyes seemed cold, and empty. “Spike?” He glanced around the room and got to his feet quickly. “You okay…you scared me.” Buffy’s voice quaked with worry.

All he did was stare at her with hard eyes for a few moments. “You have to stay away from me.” he claimed with a waver in his tone.

“What…why? Spike what is going on?” She took a step towards him, and he stepped back.

Spike’s eyes zeroed in on her neck, and he forced himself to control his bloodlust. She needed to stay away from him before he would do something he would regret. “I wanted this to work out, but unfortunately I feel nothing.” He continued.

Tears freely fell down her cheeks. “You’re lying. You just said you would never hurt me…what changed?” Buffy questioned.

“I just wanted a piece of you and now that I have, I’m moving on. You were just a toy, I wanted to play with.” Tears were rimming his eyes as well, and his body quivered as he spoke.

“Look at you you’re such coward. You’re shaking.” Buffy pointed out. She shook her head at him. She took a deep breath. “Fine! If that’s how you want to end things then fine! Leave!” She screamed. “Get out!” she shrieked again when he made no movement.

Spike walked towards her and grabbed her arm gently. “Don’t touch me.” she pulled her arm free, and he reached for her again. “Don’t touch me! Don’t fucking touch me Spike!” she ripped her arm free again and smacked him hard across the face. Spike’s head whipped back and he turned slowly back to her. “Get the fuck out!” she pushed him out the back door, and slammed it closed behind him.

Buffy collapsed to the floor in a heap clutching her broken heart.