Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow! thanks for all the reviews!! cookies all around!
Chapter 3: Surprise!

It was a week later and a threat was yet to show it’s ugly face. This whole Darla/Angelus thing was really throwing Buffy off. According to Spike they were pretty dangerous, and that totally wasn’t what she needed right now. Although, there was something that had her even more frightened than the gruesome twosome. William the Bloody. The slayer of slayers, as it was written in the books.

Buffy skimmed through Giles’ books some more, looking for anything she could find on the subject. She was never research gal, that was Willow, but Buffy wanted to do this on her own, and relieve the gang of the extra worry. Reading a page of one of the watcher diaries, Buffy found information on the slayers this destructive vampire had killed.

They were so strong…so skilled. Candice was older than me and had way more experience. If I were to meet him I’d be dead in a second. The young slayer thought to herself.

Reading farther into it, she read how this William the Bloody cracked her neck on a subway, and stripped her of her leather duster, leaving her child an orphan.

She had a kid!? She thought incredulously. “Wait…” her thoughts halted. “Leather duster?”

“What you got there, pet?” Spike asked knowing full well what she was reading, and practically saw the wheels turning in her head.

Buffy gasped loudly, with a hand over her heart, trying to stop the racing organ. “God, Spike you scared me.” Does he always just pop up out of nowhere? Buffy looked at the vampire and noticed what he was wearing. God he’s hot! With his tight black jeans, old Doc Martins, tight black shirt and… “Leather duster.” Buffy said quietly in a breathless whisper. It was like a moment of clarity washed over her body. The heart that had slowed started to race again as it all pieced together.

Buffy stood up from the chair and stepped away from him, her eyes never leaving his. “William the Bloody.” She stated in a cold, detached tone.

Spike sighed dejectedly and hung his head ashamed. “I was. Look, Buffy, I didn’t lie to you. I do have a soul.”

“But you did lie to me!” She shouted angrily. “You told me your name was ‘Spike’!”

“It is…I changed it to ‘Spike’ about a century after I got turned.” Spike’s voice was full of sadness, as he spoke of his past. Buffy noticed this and relaxed a little. A little.

“You killed so many people…those slayers.” She spoke softly, almost sorry for him.

“I know…and I’m still paying for that. But that’s not me anymore. I’m here to stop the monsters. The kind that I used to be.” Spike stepped closer to her and was glad that she didn’t move away.

“You were ruthless. Your signature kill was driving railroad spikes through people’s heads. That’s how you got the nickname isn’t it?” Buffy’s voice grew cold and hard again, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Yes…” he admitted sitting down in the chair the slayer occupied only minutes before. “Why do you think I was cursed? Witches cursed me with a soul, saying that if I ever experienced true happiness, I’ll lose it. It happened right after I killed the second slayer…they wanted me to suffer; to deprive myself of all happiness if I wanted others to experience it.” Buffy walked over towards the table and pulled up a chair beside him. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, pet. To be honest, I was scared you wouldn’t believe it, and stake me right and proper.” The bleach blonde scratched the back of his neck shyly.

“Darla and Angelus are you family, right? How do we know you’re not gunna turn on us?” Buffy asked lightly. She didn’t sound worrisome about that at all. She knew he wouldn’t, but she had to hear him say it.

“I won’t. Buggering hell…I’ve wanted that bloody bint and that sodding prick dead even before I got my soul. Angelus is a raving sadistic bastard that loves mind games, and Darla is a teasing bitch that likes to play all kinds of dirty. Believe me when I say: I don’t mind takin’ ‘em down.” Spike finished, trying to rein his anger. He felt pang slice through him as the physical and mental scars came back with vigor.

Wait a bloody second… The pain grew and he felt it on his neck…through the scar that forever marked him as part of the Aurelius clan. Spike put a hand to the right side of his neck, hoping to stop the psychological pain. Gramps is back. He thought to himself.

“What is it?” Buffy asked concerned. She didn’t know what it was, but to her it looked like he was in pain. What’s wrong with him?

Spike shot out of his seat and grabbed Buffy’s hand, pulling her towards the door. “Let’s go!”

“Spike stop…what the hell?!” Buffy tugged her arm back. “What is going on?” she asked with furrowed brows.

Spike turned around to look at her. He held her face in both his hands gently.

Buffy nearly exploded when his cold but soft hands touched her cheeks.

“Do you trust me?” he asked, bending his knees slightly to be at eye-level with her. He looked intensely into her radiantly bright green eyes with his piercing blue ones.

“Yeah…” she stated softly, and with a slight smile she continued, “I totally just felt like Jasmine in ‘Aladdin’.” Spike gave her a weird look, with a raised brow. “Nevermind.” Spike smiled at her, grabbed her petite hand in his larger one, running out the library doors.

Spike thanked his lucky stars that it was just after sunset. Running through the sewers was not that appealing to him. Especially since he knew Darla and Angelus would have minions down there waiting for him.

The two blondes booked it down the empty hallways, to one of the back doors of the school, only to be stopped when a tall, dark and handsome man standing in front of them, with his hand tightly gripping Spike’s throat.

The malicious smile that was forming on his lips, told the slayer exactly who this was. Angelus.

“You must be Buffy…the slayer. Hmm…” he said looking her up and down, observing her looks. “Cuter than I thought.” Angelus lifted another hand and was letting it ghost over her cheek.

“Don’t. Touch. Her.” Spike ground out in a low and dangerous voice.

Buffy was completely still the whole time, too shocked that the danger that was suppose to be coming…was here.

Angelus let his hand drop, and turned to stare at Spike. “You’re not really in the position to be talking back, are you, Spikey?” Angelus punctuated his sentence by squeezing tighter. “Is this how you welcome me home, boy? After centuries of destruction together, all the mayhem, and pain…I thought you’d know better than to treat me like some old foe.” The older vampire relived with a mock hurt expression.

Spike tried to keep his cool, and not show the slayer how much pain he was in. The pain from the mark on his neck, and the pain from the force of Angelus’ grip were excruciating. Angelus was hitting a pressure point that made the younger vampire want to buckle to the floor. But he knew that his grandsire was just doing this to scare Buffy.

“Let him go.” The slayer’s voice was strong, but wavered slightly with fear.

And Angelus could smell it. “Aww…is the Slayer getting a soft spot for little Willy?” he mocked. “How would Drusilla feel about this, Spike? Knowing that you and the slayer are teaming up against your family? That her little William has been exchanging kisses with an enemy you would have killed without a second thought had you been relieved of that pesky soul of yours. I think she’d be pretty pissed off, don’t you?” Angelus continued in a dark and menacing tone, as he looked at Buffy. “Everywhere you go…everything you do…I’ll be watching. I’m here, and I’m gunna make this town mine.” The older vampire pushed Spike away, forcing him to stumble back in surprise. Angelus started backing away from the two blondes with an ominous smile. He turned around and slipped into the darkened hall. “Oh and Buff…cute skirt.” He called out.

Buffy started after him, only to be held back when Spike grabbed her arm. “No…not yet. He’s too strong right now. He just fed. Give it time.” Spike’s voice was hoarse, and the finger-shaped bruises on his neck were prominent.

“How much time, Spike, until he kills more innocent people? I can’t let that happen you know that!” Buffy told him angrily.

“Yes, Buffy…I get that! But if you go now, he’ll kill you. Then who is gunna save those ‘innocent people’? You have to think about this…I know him better than you do. I know his M.O. We’ll get him…we just need to be prepared when we do.” Spike finished running his hand through he’s platinum blonde curls.

Sighing, Buffy let Spike walk her back to her house.


a/n: please review!!! i love them!