Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks again for your great reviews! i'm soo glad that you like this story!

the plot thickens a bit and Darla makes an appearance...oooooh *shifty eyes*
Chapter 4: I Trust You

Buffy swung one leg through her open window, then her upper body, and finally her other leg, without so much as a noise.

Spike crouched by the window on his position on the roof. “You been practicing that little stunt? Your mom will never know you left with that stealth.” Spike commented with a smirk that mad the Slayer melt.

“Yeah, well…years of practice. I was sneaking out even before I was called.” Buffy said with a small laugh. “Thanks…for making sure I got home. This town just got a whole lot more terrifying since he showed up.” Buffy thanked sincerely.

“You got that right. Angelus wouldn’t come to the Hellmouth unless he was planning something big. And knowing that bloody bastard he’s got some evil plan formulating about ‘world domination’ or something tremendously dim-witted like that. Stupid git.” Spike ranted, murmuring the last thing under his breath, but Buffy heard him and let out a little giggle.

Spike relished in the sound and smile back at her.

“Spike, do you want-” Buffy pointed into her room, but her question was cut off by the vampire.

“Don’t.” He silenced her with a raised hand. He gazed down willing himself to avoid the rejected look on Buffy’s face he knew was there.

“Why?” she asked wounded.

“Because…I’m still a vampire. You shouldn’t be giving me an all access pass.” Spike declared, glancing at the threshold and putting a hand up to it.

“I trust you.” Buffy claimed after a beat. She knew that he wouldn’t do anything to hurt her, and she thought maybe he needed to know that she knew that.

“But what if-”

“I trust you.” She replied more firmly, but still gently, cutting him off, showing that there was no hesitation in her voice.

She flashed him a 100-watt smile that he couldn’t resist but to smile back at. Spike realized that he only started to smile; genuinely smile, around this spitfire of a slayer.

Said Slayer jarred him out of his reverie by formally clearing her throat, as if to get someone’s attention. “Spike…please come in. And don’t make a huff about it either.” She mock-scowled at him, then quickly dropped it and smiled.

Spike nodded, then stepped over the threshold, and into the room that was solely Buffy. The beautifully unique smell of her invaded his nostrils, and brought him to a euphoric high.

Buffy sat on her bed cross-legged, with her hands resting in her lap, and beckoned Spike over by patting the spot in front of her.

Spike shed his duster, much to Buffy’s pleasure, and sat down in the spot she had indicated, half cross-legged with the other leg hanging over the edge of the bed.

Over the week that Spike had made his presence known to Buffy, the two had become good friends. But the blonde slayer found her self deeply attracted to the vampire in front of her. The way he spoke, the cocky smirk, and the animalist gleam that he’d get in his amazingly blue eyes. It was also the vulnerability that shone in them as well. The sadness in his voice as he spoke of the past, the almost shy/nervous smile he gave her when she asked him to dance. He was a mixture of a bunch contradictory traits that made her stare at him in awe; amazed at how perfect he could be at times, and glare at him in frustration; confused at how he could change his persona so quickly.


The next night Buffy and Spike patrolled through Restfield Cemetery. They weaved their way through the tombstones, waiting for this night’s fledglings to rise from their graves.

“So…how’s school?” Spike asked her in a casual tone.

Turning to him with a frown, she answered hesitantly. “It’s okay, I guess.” Buffy continued to spin her stake in her hand, surveying the open ground for anything demonic.

“That’s good…we don’t want you burning down anymore school gyms now do we?” Spike joked, looking over at her with a glint in his eye.

A horrified look came over her face, as she looked over at him again. “You knew about that? Damn…I guess news travels fast around here.”

“Noo…I didn’t hear about it from anyone. I saw it.” Spike replied nonchalantly.

“You were there? It happened during the day.” Buffy countered, hopping up onto a gravestone. She let her heels tap the flat surface of the stone as she swung her legs.

Spike came to stand in front of her, and pulled out a smoke from his pack, along with his Zippo. “There are ways for vampires to get around during the day you know. I had to watch over you throughout the day. Make sure you weren’t getting yourself hurt by the nasties that can come out when it’s not nighttime.” Spike chuckled lightly. “You know I was gunna help you with those vamps, by uh…you had it under control.”

“Almost didn’t. Got in so much trouble for that. No one even believed me when I told them what happened.” Buffy pouted.

“And what was that, because I know you wouldn’t be daft enough to tell the truth.” Spike smirked, taking a drag of his smoke.

Buffy smiled shyly. “Well I may have mentioned mice…smoking mice.” Off Spike’s look she continued. “Okay that was probably the lamest excuse even I ever heard of.” The two blondes chuckled.

“So about this whole Scourge of Europe thing. You guys were that bad?” Buffy looked over to him, but was surprised to her someone else’s voice.

“Oh yeah…we were that bad. But your Spikey here was worse. Killed two slayers in his time, he did. Made Angelus and me so proud. Didn’t you, Willy?” Darla stepped out from the shadows, clad in black leather pants, and a blood red corset that pushed her breast up high on her chest. Her blonde hair fell just past her shoulders in crimps. Despite her choice of clothing her face still held a sweet appearance. It was easily deceiving to any person that had a pulse and wasn’t her.

Buffy jumped down from the stone and immediately got into fighting stance. Spike stood alongside her, keeping his eyes on his great-grandsire.

“Aww…would you look at that! Vampire and Slayer teaming up to fight the forces of evil…how sweet.” The blonde vampire mocked, as she circled around them both, but not making a single threatening advance towards them. She continued seriously, with a dark glare in her hazel eyes, and a menacing tone shadowing her words. “You’re a disgrace to us, Spike…to our family. We could have helped you.” Darla started to step towards him, the slayer forgotten to her as she scolded her childer like he was a young boy. Buffy started to step forward as well, holding her stake firmly in her hand. After a glare from the old vampire and an arm holding her back from the younger one, she backed off, watching the scene in front of her unfold. Turning her eyes back on Spike, she continued. “We could have gotten rid of that pesky soul of yours, turned you back into the evil bloodsucker that you were…but nooo. You ran off, like the little bitch that you are, and tortured yourself all these years feeling guilty over deaths you didn’t give two shits about when you sucked their blood dry! And now you’re helping the Slayer!?” she demanded, rhetorically in disbelief. “It’s sickening! You’re lucky Drusilla isn’t here to see this…we all know how much you hate to shame her.”

Spike continued to hold her strong gaze, trying not to think of his beloved sire. His jaw tightened and he trying his hardest not to throw a punch at her. It was time yet…both her and Angelus were at their strongest points right now, and jumping into a fight with either one of them when he wasn’t ready wouldn’t do anyone any good. “You leave Dru out this.” His voice was deep and barely heard by Buffy, but carried an air of warning. “Get out of here Darla. Go back to Angelus…we’re done.” Spike’s voice stayed low, as he bore holes into the blonde vampire.

A slow dangerous smile broke out on her face. “For now…” With that, she turned on her heel, and walked back into the shadows.

When Spike felt that her presence had left the cemetery, he visibly relaxed, and let out an unnecessary sigh. The two blondes stood in silence for a long period of time, lost in their own thoughts before one of them spoke up. It was Buffy. She had so many questions and demands, and thoughts about the things Darla had brought up…and the most irrelevant one was the first to pop out of her mouth. “Who’s Drusilla?”

Spike looked down at her in surprise, also being broken out of his own thoughts. He thought about her words. He knew he would have to tell her sooner than later…I guess sooner will have to do then, won’t it? He took a deep breath, and started explaining.



A/N: next chapter you read more about Spike’s life, and how he came to be a vampire, and then all of his experiences from then on…told in flashbacks.