Author's Chapter Notes:
wow thank you to everyone that reviewed.
Chapter 6: Couldn’t/Wouldn’t

“I dunno Willow…it just kinda happened. Well almost happened. Mom called me upstairs before any real kissage took place.” Buffy was relaying the almost kiss between her and Spike, to Willow over the phone, twisting the cord around her finger with a giddy smile on her face.

“So, are you guys going out now?” her friend asked excitedly.

Buffy laughed self-depreciatively at that. “No! I mean I don’t even think he likes me all that much. It’s nothing I’m sure of it. Plus relationships at work are a no-no. It would make things complicated and…weird. Especially if it didn’t work out.” Buffy admitted sadly. Although that’s what she said, she really hoped it was something. He seemed to be a great guy-vampire guy-but still. That was also the big problem: she was the slayer and he was a vampire. There were complete opposites. Opposites attract. A little voice in her head whispered.

“I’m sorry Buffy. But who knows, maybe everything will turn out okay in the end.” Willow tried to cheer her friend up by putting hope within her.

“Thanks, Wills. Anyways I should get going…I’m supposed to be meeting up with him for a patrol in a bit. I hope it won’t be weird. Wish me luck?” Buffy asked on a sigh. She was nervous, but she was excited at the same time.

“Luck! Have fun…oh and tell me everything!” The two said their goodbyes and hung up the phone.

Buffy changed into some comfortable slaying clothes but also something that would catch Spike’s attention. She tugged on her tight black leather pants, and slipped on a red tank top. She pulled her golden blonde hair into a high ponytail with an elastic band, and grabbed her jacket, and a stake slipping it into the inner pocket. Buffy hopped down the stairs, and into the kitchen to say bye to her mother.

“Mom, I’m going to the Bronze with Willow and Xander. I’ll be home around 12.”

“Okay…just make sure you get home alright. There’s been a lot of attacks on teens lately.” Joyce mentioned, concern written all over her face.

“Yeah…I know.” Buffy smiled and walked away. “It’s something I’m trying to fix.” She muttered under her breath walking out the door, into the night.

She started walking down the driveway when something caught her senses. Vampire. Backing up slowly, she whipped out her stake, and walked towards the big tree in her front yard. She kept her steps quite and slow. Hearing a clicking sound she jumped in front of the demon, and raised her stake.

“Easy slayer. Dust isn’t a good look for me.” Spike commented calmly, shoving his Zippo back into his pocket. He took a long drag from his cigarette, and blew it out, letting the smoke raise up through the dark sky.

“Jesus, Spike. Do you always stand outside people’s houses creeping behind a tree?” Buffy asked rhetorically.

“Nope. Just you.” Spike said with a smirk, sending her a wink. At her smiled, he could do nothing but smile back. The two started walking down the road towards the nearest cemetery. Spike’s mind was boggled about the almost kiss the other day. He wanted her so badly that he would be itching to touch her, but he knew he couldn’t let that happen. Relationships in the workplace never worked out. He knew from experience. Candice was the slayer in ’81, and literally took his breath away. He was just starting to help the slayers and Candice changed all the rules for him. He was off his game, and he let himself get distracted by her. She would look at him and he would forget he was fighting, and let his opponent get the upper hand. She had dark chestnut brown hair with dark soulful eyes. She fought dirty, and he liked it.

He was in Brooklyn when he found her; she was practically living on the streets. Her mother was sick of her coming home late and thought she was getting herself caught up in a bad crowd after she came home late one night with blood on her shirt and a bruised face.

She was kicked out, forced to live in a shelter until she was seventeen. She was a waitress at the diner downtown during the day, giving her enough money to rent a small apartment in the not-so-good part of town. He ran into her one night while she was fighting a fledgling on her school field. She had just turned eighteen. He helped her by staking the vamp from behind. He expected a ‘thank you’, but all he got was a punch in the face, and a lot of attitude. After he broke down her walls, and let him in, the two became close. Too close. They started dating, and things couldn’t get any better. Until that one night when he let him self get distracted by her. She screamed and he ran towards her tackling the vampire that was a hair away from biting her, and pummeling him into the ground not even noticing the second vampire tearing into her neck from behind, drinking down her life.

When Spike heard a thud, he turned around to see her lying on the ground, pale and gasping for her last breaths. He ran to her, and held her in his arms, trying to keep her warm. Spike glanced up at the vampire that bit Candice, and growled, his eyes flashing a feral gold. Taking that as his cue, he ran away into the night.

Spike? I’m scared…” she whispered out, as her body trembled. “I don’t want to die.”

Making a split second decision, Spike’s face changed, and he gently bit into her neck taking a small pull on her blood. Slitting his wrist with his fang, he let her blood drip onto her lips. She started licking the blood cautiously at first, and then sucking on the gash eagerly as her breathing escalating.

He turned her. He had to. He couldn’t let her die, and leave him alone. She would have wanted him to. He brought her back to her apartment and waited. When she awoke, the most disturbing sight stood in front of him. She was dark. There was an evil smile upon her face, and her once soulful eyes, cold and unfeeling. She strode towards him slowly, and seductively. She seemed empty and it turned him off.

Let’s get someone to eat, baby…I’m starving.” She said running her hands down his chest.

What’s wrong with you?”

Nothing…I haven’t felt this good in a long time. I feel like I could do anything.” She smiled up at him, and he almost gave into her.

I can’t let you kill anyone, Candice…it’s not right.”

Aw…sweetie.” She said in a soft voice. She raised her cold hand and stroked his cheek lovingly. She leaned up to whisper in his ear. “What makes you think you can stop me?” she asked condescendingly, letting out a low and wicked chuckle. Spinning on her heel she started to walk towards the door.

Candice.” He called out, stopping her in her tracks. She didn’t turn around, just stayed still as she felt him near her. He pressed his body against hers, making her gasp. “I won’t let you kill anyone.” He repeated again, his voice firmer, and with more conviction.

What are you going to do…stake me? You couldn’t.”

I could.” At that, she whipped around to stare at him with disbelieving eyes.

But you wouldn’t.” he voice faltered a little, almost worried that he would. Spike hung his head and let out an unnecessary breath. “Of course you wouldn’t. My sweet, sweet boy.” She smiled again running her hand down his cheek again.

Goodbye.” Spike whispered so softly it was barely heard. But she heard him. Her eyes widened in shock, her delicate brows frowning in confusion. Spike reached into his back pocket and withdrew a stake, and plunged it into her chest, his head still hung, not wanting to she the broken look on her face.

He made a promise to himself after that night to never get too close to a slayer again. It always ended up with someone getting hurt; usually him. And he didn’t think he could take that much pain again.