Author's Chapter Notes:
hey thanks for the reviews!!! i just had to update for you guys...your spurring me on!!! woot woot...chapter 7 with some dialogue from Angel season 4
Chapter 7: Wearing Me Down

Angelus stood outside Buffy’s bedroom window an evil smile gracing his lips. He watched her patrol all night at a distance, and then followed her home. Now he was watching her shadow move about her room, hiding her stake in her drawer and changing out of her ‘work’ clothes. From what he saw while she was on patrol, Angelus could anticipate her moves. She had certain routines; combos if you will. And if he noticed one, he could counter the others easily. And everyone thought fighting slayers was hard. Angelus walked away from the tree he was hiding behind, and continued along to feed.

Buffy threw herself on her bed after getting changed. She had just gotten back from patrolling, and she was completely exhausted. Buffy had gone by herself, not wanting to bother Spike. Their patrol last night was a little uncomfortable since the almost kiss. It was like they both wanted to say something about it, but were too afraid to.

All night she had this weird feeling like somebody was watching her, but she shook it off and continued patrolling. Now she snuggled up into her bed, happy to be home, and where she could pretend to be the normal girl she dreamed she could be.

* * * * *

Spike sat in his basement suit, on his couch while he drank his blood. He was upset. Buffy didn’t call him to go for patrol, and for some reason it disappointed him. He liked talking to her and the way she fought was always something he liked to watch. Something in his gut told him that something was off. Acting on his instincts, Spike jumped up, grabbed his duster and ran out the door.

He didn’t get halfway there when he felt himself get slammed up against the wall, and a hard body pushing against his back. “There was a time, Spikey, when you wouldn’t have let yourself get caught off guard so easily.” A deep voice taunted right by his ear.

“Angelus.” Spike mumbled out pushing back at him, and breaking the hold his grandsire had him in. “What do you want?” he asked the rage and hate in his voice clear.

“Well I want that cute little slayer of yours…dead of course. Alive she’s just annoying.” Angelus joked with a sick smile on his face.

“Sorry, but I’m never gonna let that happen.” Spike said with determination, keeping his stance strong.

“Look at you! The Slayer of Slayers being all noble! It’s touching really.” Angelus mocked, placing his hand over his dead, un-beating heart.

“Hate to leave so soon and break up this pleasant confrontation, but I have places to be.” Spike tried to walk around him, but Angelus stopped him with his voice.

“Like Buffy’s? Going to give her a pep talk on me, and what’s coming? Oh no…don’t tell me. The rousing stiff upper lip speech. ‘Rah rah. Good over evil. Do what must be done. Hang in there, kitten, it's almost Friday!’” Angelus mocked some more, letting out a chuckle.

Spike ran at him then, pinning him to the wall, causing Angelus to smack his head on the brick wall. Spike’s face was dangerously close to his grandsire’s, showing him he wasn’t faltering. “I’m giving you one last chance Angelus, for you and Darla to get the bloody hell out of Sunnydale.”

The brunette vampire smiled evilly. “Sorry Willy-boy…you’re not getting rid of me that quickly.” He pushed Spike away and side-kicked him in the gut. “You could have been better than this Spike. I actually thought you had a chance after the second slayer. Then you went all…good.” He commented with a disgusted look on his face.

Spike punched him back in the face, quickly following it up with a spin kick to his jaw. Angelus stumbled back a little, caught off guard. “There was a time, when you wouldn’t have let yourself get caught off guard so easily.” Spike taunted, throwing Angelus’ words back at him, as he watched the evil vampire wipe blood from his lip.

It got really silent for a minute. Spike had never fought back against Angelus during an actual serious fight. The two would spar with both holding back, or Angelus would beat Spike into submission. Angelus was shocked to say the least. But proud at the same time…because the monster he created once upon a time, still craved the fight.

The dark-haired vampire chuckled lightly again. “He’s still in there, Spike.” He said softly. “The demon, the monster I made…he’s still there. And he wants to come out. The thirst for the blood, the crave of the hunt…feeling the existence of a sweet young girl die as you suck the life out of her.” At this point, Spike’s grandsire was stepping closer to him slowly, watching his expression change.

At Angelus’ words, Spike began to practically taste the rich blood in his mouth. He closed his eyes and remembered back to that time when he saw Buffy fighting in the alley. He’d wanted to drink from her so bad, it scared him. He hadn’t craved for blood like that since the first few months he had his soul.

“You still want it.” Spike’s eyes snapped open. “So, take it. We’ll go look for some beautiful girl, for you to play with. It can be like the old days.” Angelus smirked at him as he put an arm around Spike’s shoulder. “Huh?”

At that, Spike came back to his senses and shook his grandsire’s arm off of him. “Sod off, wanker!” spike threw a punch at him, and then another and another, until both of them were in a full out brawl. Spin kicks, roundhouses, side-kicks, uppercuts, right hooks and more. Angelus pulled away from Spike’s grip, and punched him hard in the face one last time.

“It’s wearing you down, Spike. It’s just a matter of time.” Angelus walked back into the darkness, blending in with the shadows.

Spike let out a sigh, and coughed up blood. He could feel the bruises and cuts on his face, and he was sure Angelus broke a few of his ribs.

* * * * *

Buffy heard a tapping at her window, and immediately jumped out of bed to open it. When she did, she gasped at the sight in front of her. “Oh my God, Spike…what the hell happened to you?” Buffy pulled him into her room and sat him on her bed.

“Nothing I’m fine…I just came to fill you in on some things.” Spike said wincing at the pain in his ribs when he sat.

“Nothing? It doesn’t look like nothing. Who did this to you?” Buffy touched his cheek softly, where she saw the gash on his cheekbone. “Sorry.” She whispered when he flinched.

“It was Angelus…I felt like something was off in my gut, and I went to see if you were okay, and he pulled me into an alley…we just had a few words.” Spike stated in a closed off tone.

“Hmm…his words can really pack a punch.” Buffy said teasingly, and Spike gave her a hard look. “Well have you looked in a mirror?” Buffy cringed at her own words. “Sorry, sorry…we really oughta get you cleaned up. I’ll be right back.” Buffy walked out of her bedroom and crept slowly into the bathroom, getting a washcloth and running it under the tap before ringing it out a little. She walked back into her bedroom and knelt in front of Spike. Buffy gently began cleaning the wounds on his face, and on his hands.

The moment seemed intimate to both of them. Buffy looked up at him and smiled that 100-watt smile that made Spike’s un-beating heart clench. He smiled back at her, as she continued to tend to his wounds.

When she was done she stood up, and threw the cloth in her dirty laundry hamper, and sat down next to him. “You’re lucky I was here, otherwise you would have had some pretty nasty scars.”

“I heal quickly.” Spike shifted, his ribs become uncomfortable. Buffy noticed, and tried to lift his shirt to take a look at them, but Spike’s hand stopped her. “It’s okay…I’ll be okay.” He slowly began lowering her hand, bringing his shirt down with it. “They already started mending.”

Buffy sighed, and he felt bad. She was just trying to help him…because she cared, and he just pushed her away. But he had to, because if he let her lift his shirt he would have pounced on her, broken bones or not. “Hey…I know you’re just trying to help. But really I’m fine…You don’t have to worry about me. Vampire, remember?” he said pointing to himself with a smile.

Buffy smiled back, and held his hand in hers. “I know…it just scares me to think of anything bad happening to you.” She replied gently. She looked into his blue eyes and couldn’t hold back anymore. She leaned forward and closed her eyes softly pressing her lips against his full pouty ones.

Spike was shocked at first, not reacting to her lips on his, but when he felt her start to pull away he weaved his hand through her golden locks and held her to him. The two fell into a slow and tender kiss; with her tongue massaging Spike’s. Buffy was the first to pull away gradually, her face inches away from his. “I’ve wanted to do that for a long time now.” She whispered. Spike could feel her words on his lips she was so close. Buffy opened her eyes to see Spike staring at her intently. “I wasn’t disappointed.” She finished, blushing. She leaned forward again to capture his lips again when he held her back.

“Buffy we can’t do this. I’m sorry but we can’t.” Spike said quietly, and regrettably.

Buffy reeled back, and looked at him confused…then hurt. Tears started building up in her eyes, and she quickly turned away from his gaze. Taking a deep breath to calm herself, she spoke. “I though that-” her voice got caught in her throat, but she cleared it to continue. “I just thought that…you felt the same.”

The words from her mouth broke his heart and he tried to tell her he did. “Buffy I-”

“No…no it’s okay Spike, I understand.” Buffy turned to look at him with a big fake smile…he could still see the tears in her eyes. “Didn’t hurt a bit.”

Spike looked down at his lap, feeling horrible that he had hurt her.

Buffy spoke again without looking at, but at a spot on the carpet in front of her. “I’m getting pretty tired…I think it’d be best if you left?” She questioned, as if he had a choice. She sounded nice about it, like she really was tired and she just wanted sleep, but he knew different.

Sighing, Spike got up, and stood in front of her. He kissed her lightly on the forehead. “I’m sorry.” He whispered, before leaving her room, out the window.

When Buffy felt he was gone, she broke down and cried into her pillow, muffling her sobs. Why was she in tears? It’s not like she loved him…so why was she crying so much?


A/N: so we got a little bit of kissage, but this is where we start to see a real relationship start to grow...please keep reading and reviewing!! love ya!