Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you again for reviewing. i just wanted to say that i really liked writing out this up-coming scene between Spike and Buffy...i don't know why but i did. I hope you like reading it...so please review!
Chapter 8: Mistaking Identities

Buffy had forgone slaying with Spike for about 2 weeks. She tried her hardest to avoid him, and the pain of the rejection he sent her way. Giles and the rest of the gang were wondering what was going on between them since Buffy had never brought him up, and chose to go on her patrols without him. She made sure that she had the rest of the gang with her, not wanting Angelus to either get to them while she was out patrolling or to attack her when she was alone.

Giles was starting to get worried. It had been 2 weeks since Buffy said she last saw Spike, and no one from the gang had heard anything about him. The watcher was starting to wonder if maybe something happened to him. There were a lot of dead bodies turning up in Sunnydale, and Angelus was starting to leave messages.

He kept leaving notes taped to Buffy’s window saying that the time for her death was near. He drew pictures of her sleeping in her bed, and brought it to her school on a dark day, asking the secretary to please get this to her.

The fact that he could watch her in such a vulnerable state unnerved her. He was starting to get to her, and she hated to admit it, but she needed Spike. He knew Angelus’ games, and could help anticipate his next move.

Buffy, Willow, Xander, Cordelia, and Giles sat in his apartment, researching Angelus as much as possible. He wasn’t like Spike: he hadn’t killed any slayers, but he was known for torturing his victims, and ‘breaking them in’. There was more about nailing puppies to walls, and massacres and such and it shook her to the core. Angelus was very dangerous, and she knew she couldn’t fight him alone.

She was broken out of her thoughts when there was a knock on the door. They all looked at each other, and frowned. Everyone that they had been expecting was already here. So who was at the door?

Opening it, Buffy automatically wish she hadn’t. Spike stood on the other side of the door, looking disheveled. “Hello, Buffy. We need to talk.” Spike walked in without waiting for her to reply.

“How did you do that? You have to be invited first.” Buffy claimed angrily, placing her hands on her hips.

Giles stepped up to greet Spike. “He has…he’s come over once before to discuss his past with the Scourge.” Giles lead Spike in to sit down on the couch, and the rest of the gang gathered around to hear what Spike had to say.

Buffy opted for leaning in the doorframe in the kitchen with her arms crossed over her chest, trying to stay away from Spike without making it look obvious to her friends.

“Word on the street is: Darla and Angelus are in cahoots with a small gang of vampires from the outskirts of town. They’ve made them their minions, and plans to take down the slayer are already in motion.” Spike said his voice firm and serious.

“Yeah we know…Angelus’ has been sending messages to Buffy for the past week. He’s been drawing pictures of her while she’s sleeping. Let me tell ya…really creepy.” Cordelia said shuddering.

“And he killed my goldfish.” Willow added with a pout. “I just glad I don’t have a puppy, cause from the stories we read about Angelus…puppy is really hard to clean off walls.”

Spike frowned and turned around to Buffy. “He’s been sending you drawings?” he asked softly.

Buffy straightened up, and dropped her arms to her sides. She nervously looked about the room. “Yeah…and a couple of notes too.”

“Can I talk to you alone for a second Buffy?” asked while standing up and walking towards her.

Looking over at her friends, she nervously shifted her weight to the other foot. “Uh…yeah sure, I guess.” She followed Spike as he walked up the stairs to Giles’ bedroom. The vampire let her walk in before him, and then closed it behind them. “So what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?” she asked pretending she had no idea.

“Don’t play dumb with me slayer, you know what I want to talk to you about.” At that Buffy lowered her head a little and took in a deep breath. “I’m sorry that I hurt you. But that…between us; it can’t happen again.” Spike claimed, looking at Buffy with apologetic eyes.

“That’s it? That’s all you wanted to say? Look you said it already okay…I get it.” Buffy crossed her arms over her chest; trying to block the pain that was working it’s way to her heart. “Are we done here?”

“No.” Spike stepped closer to Buffy, standing a foot or two away from her. “I don’t think you understand, pet I-”

Buffy abruptly cut him off. “I’m not your pet.” She spat out the word like it was a disease, and spoke with a strong tone. “I do understand, Spike. You don’t want me and I was naïve to think that you did.” Buffy looked down at the floor, and continued softly. “I don’t know, for some reason I thought that something was there, that maybe-” she stopped to take a breath and let it out. “Maybe you liked me, but I was very, very wrong.”

Spike stepped closer to her, and tilted her head up to lock eyes with her. Placing one hand on her cheek, and the other around the side of her neck stroking her jaw line with the pad of his thumb. “You weren’t wrong, luv. I like you, and I care about you…” He sighed, and went on in a whisper. “But I can’t be with you.”

Tears collected in Buffy’s eyes at the vampire’s words, and she tried hard to keep them from falling. The feel of his hands on her face and the way he was looking at her was too much, and a tear escaped, but was brushed away by Spike. “Why not?” she whispered back.

Spike closed his eyes for a second, pained by the weakness in her voice, and the tremble of her lip while she spoke. Opening them again, he looked down at her. “Because I’ll get distracted by you, and that may cost you your life. If something happened to you…” his voice choked at the thought. “I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself. You’re too important to me.”

Buffy broke down into tears at his declaration, and let him pull her into a tight hug. He stroked her hairs softly, and planted soft kisses to her head. When her tears started to die down into soft sniffles, Spike whispered gently in her ear. “We’re stronger apart.”

Buffy sighed in defeat, but knowing that he felt the same way as her made her feel a little better. She slowly pulled away from him, and Spike ran his fingers through her hair. “Come on, I’ll take you back home okay?” she nodded, and walked towards the door, making herself presentable. She quickly checked in front of the mirror to make sure she didn’t look like she was just balling her eyes out, and then made her way downstairs, with Spike following behind her.

“Is everything alright?” Giles asked, looking Buffy over.

“Yup! I’m fine, I’m just really tired.” She feigned a yawn. “It’s been a long day. Spike’s just gonna walk me home.”

“Okay…call me tomorrow?” Willow asked standing up to give her friend a hug.

“Of course. Bye guys…” Buffy grabbed her coat, and crossbow, and walked out the door with Spike.

When the two of them got to Buffy’s house, she invited Spike in so they could talk some more. Buffy had told her mom about a new friend that she made named Spike, and at the time she had told her that he was one of Xander’s friends from a long time ago. During the two weeks that she hadn’t seen Spike, she had told her mom about how she was a slayer, and Spike was a vampire that was helping her. She retold the whole story and with Giles by her side to support her. Joyce had taken it well considering the situation, and tried her hardest to come to terms with what this meant for her daughter.

Now, Buffy wanted to introduce Spike to her mom for the first time, and let her into her other life. Buffy and Spike walked through the door, and into the kitchen. What they saw made both of them stop in their tracks. Angelus sat at the island with her mother, having a conversation about Buffy.

“She’s a very unique girl. There was this one time-” Buffy cut off her mother’s story.

“What the hell is going on here?” she asked angrily.

“Oh Buffy...Spike just dropped by to see if you were here. I told him he could wait until you got back.” Joyce said with a smile.

“That’s not Spike! What the hell are you doing in my house?” Buffy questioned with rage.

“Oh I just popped by for a visit Buff. Your mom was a great host…she told me a lot about you.” He said with a smile. He stood up and walked towards her. “How you use to be a cheerleader, and uh…you’d dance around your room singing ‘I Touch Myself’.” Angelus taunted with a chuckle, as he got closer to her. He twirled a piece of her hair around his finger. “How you’re not a natural blonde. That I don’t believe, but there’s only one way to find out.” he stated raising his eyebrows.

Spike pushed him back hard, making him stumble into the corner of the island. “Stay the bloody hell away from her you sod!” Spike warned with a growl.

“Okay, what is going on, Buffy?” Joyce asked with confusion written all over her face.

Once Buffy found her voice, she answered. “That isn’t Spike, mom. This is Spike.” She corrected nodded to the blonde man standing beside her.

“Well then who’s this?” Joyce pointed to Angelus. When she looked back at her daughter, Angelus ran to her by the neck and pulled her back towards his chest, holding her in a tight grip.

“I’m Angelus.” He whispered in her ear, once his fangs grew out and the ridges formed on his forehead. Buffy and Spike both moved to attack him, until he squeezed Joyce’s neck tighter, making her whimper in pain. “Ah-ah-ah. Don’t wanna do that…the game’s just beginning. Why end it so soon?” Angelus smirked, at the look of fear on her face.

“It’s me you’re after Angelus. Let my mom go, and you can have me.” Buffy vowed unwaveringly. She stared the dark-haired vampire in the eyes, and didn’t notice the look of fear that crossed Spike’s face, as he turned to look at her. But Angelus did…and that caused a little smirk to grow on his face.

“Really? Do you think I’m stupid, Buff? If I let your mom go, you and Captain Peroxide here, are gonna be running at me with stakes drawn.”

“If you don’t let go, we’ll kill you anyways.” Spike said with venom as he glared at his grandsire.

“Hm…is that right? Do you think you can kill me before I kill her? Come on give it a try it’ll be fun!” he stated with enthusiasm.

Without thought Buffy lifted the crossbow that she had in her hand, and aimed it at him. Angelus looked shocked to see it, obviously not noticing it before. Buffy aimed it quickly at his leg, and shot it, causing his to break his hold from Joyce’s neck for a quick second. But in that time, Spike and reached for her arm, and pulled her behind him.

Spike noticed her slowly fading in and out of consciousness, and let her use him to hold herself up. Buffy watched at Angelus growled loudly, yanking out the arrow from his leg, and snapping it in half with one hand. Buffy aimed the crossbow at him again, but just as she pulled it, Angelus ran away, breaking down the back door faster than lightning.

With a sigh of relief, Buffy turned to her mother, and her and Spike helped her up to her room. Buffy called over the gang and told them what had happened as well as getting Willow to do a de-invite spell on the house. After that was finished with, Spike offered to stay at the house with her and her mother, knowing Buffy was still a little shaken up.

Angelus knew her now. He knew her vulnerable points, and Spike knew that Angelus would use those against her in a fight. He’d use them to break her down, and make her weak. Angelus had the advantage.