Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for waiting...i know there's been a long delay. I hope this makes up for it though. i hope i still have my readers...and if i do you can prove it by leaving a review!!! lol
Chapter 9: Realizations

Angelus stormed into the warehouse, nearly kicking the door off its hinges. He picked up the heavy wood table that was by the entrance of the dank building, and threw it at the wall sending shards of wood flying and one even pierced a vampire minion that was walking by; sending dust and debris falling to the concrete.

“I was so fucking close!” Angelus roared out. Darla walked out into the middle of the room from a hallway on the right. She walked closer to him.

“Careful when you throw wood around. We could have used him.” Darla said calmly, not really caring.

“I was there…at her house. I had her mother’s throat in my grip, and-ARRGHH!” the brunette vampire punched a hole in the pillar beside him.

“It’s fine Angelus.” Darla said softly, stroking the side of his cheek and effectively calming him down. “We have plenty of time, my boy. Let the slayer stew a little bit longer. Meanwhile we can just piss her off. How does a massacre sound?” she asked with a giddy smile spreading over her red lips, and a glint in her hazel eyes.

Angelus smirked, and pulled his sire tight to him, kissing her hard. When he pulled away, he leaned his forehead against hers. “You always know how to get me worked up.”

“It’s what I’m best at.” She flashed a sly smile, before grabbing his big hand in hers and leading him out of the warehouse.

* * * * *

Buffy sat in the middle of her bed, with her legs crossed, with Spike sitting on the edge of the mattress facing away from her. Joyce was sleeping in her room now, after being assured by everyone that Angelus couldn’t get back inside.

After the spell and everyone went home, Buffy had walked her mom up to her room, and then went to hers and sat down on the bed. Spike followed her up and stood in the doorway for a minute before walking over and sitting on the other side. Now the two sat in complete silence; Spike awkwardly looking around the room, and Buffy blankly staring at her blanket.

“She could have died.” Buffy blurted out, her voice a raspy whisper. Spike turned around to look at her intently. Buffy glanced up at him and continued with tears in her eyes. “Angelus could have killed her tonight if we didn’t show up when we did.”

“But she’s fine now…that’s all that matters.” Spike sighed. “Look it’s getting pretty late, you should get some sleep.” He stood up and went to leave the room, when Buffy’s voice stopped him.

“Spike? Can you just stay here with me? I don’t think I can sleep in here alone.” Buffy’s voice was soft, and innocent. She sounded as if she was a normal girl that couldn’t fall asleep after a horrible nightmare. But it wasn’t a nightmare…it happened. It was real…and in no way was she a normal girl.

With a comforting smile, Spike walked back towards the bed, and lay down, pulling her into his arms. Buffy snuggled herself into him, nuzzling his chest. “Thank you.” And with that she fell asleep cuddled in the vampire’s embrace. Spike sat and watched as she slept, the slight rise and fall of her chest…the small pout formed on her lips…the way her hair flowed around her head on the pillow like a golden halo. That’s when he realized it: He was wrong. They weren’t stronger apart. If anything they would be stronger together. He’d fight for her…be strong for her, emotionally and physically. Having her near him would fuel his fire to defeat Angelus and Darla.

With that realization, he placed a soft kiss on her forehead and closed his eyes, purring quietly as he fell into a sweet slumber.

* * * * *

The shrill sound of the phone ringing startled Buffy out of her sleep. She rolled over onto her side and reached for the phone blindly. “Hello?”

“Buffy…it’s Giles. I need you and Spike to head over to my flat. It’s urgent.”

“Yeah...okay. We’ll be there in a bit. What is it?” she mumbled sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

“I’d rather tell you when you get here. And please be quick.”

“Alright…bye.” Buffy hung up the phone and glanced over to the other side of the bed. It was empty. She looked around the room and didn’t see any trace of Spike anywhere. Getting out of bed she checked on her mother, who was still sound asleep. She then headed down the stairs and into the kitchen and had to smile at what she saw.

Spike was in the middle of making breakfast, eggs frying in one pan and bacon frying in the other. Bread was in the toaster and orange juice was sitting on the counter beside a glass. “Good morning.” Spike greeted with a smile. “I was wondering when you’d wake up. Sleep like the dead, you do.”

“That’s funny coming from the dead himself.” Buffy joked sitting herself on the stool. Spike chuckled and scraped the eggs and bacon into a plate, and placed it in front of Buffy. “Mmm…that smells amazing. Thank you.” She said before putting a spoonful of egg in her mouth. “Mmm…so good.” She mumbled out.

“Thanks…so who was that on the phone?” Spike asked, starting to clean up the dishes.

“That was Giles. He needs us to go to his place. Says it’s urgent. We should probably go soon.” Buffy paused and looked down at the plate of food. “But I want to finish this first.” Picking up a piece of bacon she started munching on it. “Who knew that someone that doesn’t even eat food could cook such an awesome breakfast.”

“Thank you, pet.” Spike chuckled out. When Buffy finished eating, she got ready, told her mom they were on their way to see Giles, and to call there if she needed them.

With his leather jacket over his head, Spike ran to his Desoto from the house, and jumped in quickly closing the door behind him. Laughing, Buffy followed him and the two started towards Giles’ house.

* * * * *

“What the bloody hell took you two so long? I said urgent, didn’t I? Not ‘come an hour from when I call you’.” Giles cursed in annoyance while letting them into the house. Willow was sitting on the couch and quickly came over to greet her friend.

“We’re sorry…I was just making sure my mom was okay before we left.” Buffy lied quickly. “I didn’t want her to feel scared in her own home…you know with Angelus still loose in Sunnydale.” Buffy stood by the bar on the other side of the kitchen with Spike standing slightly behind her. He discreetly grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze when she mentioned Angelus. Buffy was still having a hard time dealing with the fact that he almost killed her mother and Spike knew that she needed all the support she could get.

Willow watched as Spike reached forward to hold Buffy’s hand. It wasn’t something that she or anybody would usually catch, but her eyes just happened to scan by at that time. What was that all about?

Buffy squeezed back, and the two of them hoped that no one saw the intimate connection between them, not wanting to have to explain their newfound relationship. They didn’t even know what it was yet; let alone how to explain it.

Giles torn his glasses off his face, and pulled out a handkerchief from his jacket pocket. “Speaking of Angelus…this was the reason I called you over.” He proceeded to clean his glasses profusely.

“What is it?” Buffy squeezed Spike’s hand a little tighter.

Willow shifted her feet and cleared her throat. “Angelus and Darla had themselves a massacre last night. Walked into a college party, locked the doors and killed everybody inside.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Sunnydale University?” she asked quickly.

Giles placed his glasses back on his face. “Yes. Stevenson Hall. The police said that it was between 12:30 and 1:30am. It was known that approximately 70 people were there before the massacre…and only 49 bodies were found.” Giles finished bowing his head.

“They’re recruiting.” Spike concluded. “They’re building an army.” His eyes were cold, and his stance was tense.

Willow’s eyes widened, and a look of worry came over her face. “That’s a lot of vampires. Not to mention all of them being trained by Angelus and Darla. What are we gonna do?”

“We’re gonna fight.” Buffy said with determination. “We’ll train, and we’re gonna fight back. I’m not going to wait until they come after us. I’m going to go after them…when they least expect it. I’m sick and tired of waiting to be killed. If they came all the way to Sunnydale to fight me, fine. But they’re fighting me on my turf…my territory. That means my rules.” Buffy declared with her hands on her hips.

Willow piped up when an idea struck her. “Oh! Can we dabble a little bit with magic? I mean there is so much we can do…I’ve been looking through the magic books and I’ve noticed some spells that might work or help a bit with fighting the gruesome twosome.” The redhead immediately sobered up, and started fidgeting with her hands. “That is if that’s okay with you…you know, your rules and everything.” She added as an afterthought.

Buffy dropped her hands to her sides and smiled at her friend. “That’s fine, Wills. I think that’s a great idea. We need all the help we can get. Giles, you can help with the historical stuff: Darla and Angelus’ past, their weaknesses-if they have any, Spike and I will be the fists and fangs, and Xander and Cordelia can…I don’t know, watch.” Buffy said with a shrug.

“I’m sure there’s something important that the two of them can do.” Giles offered.

“Well Cordelia will always have an insult ready, or maybe some complete disinterest to throw our way!” Willow chirped out with a big sarcastic smile. Giles choked back a laugh, Buffy cracked a smile, and Spike snickered in response.

“I’m sure something will come up. Maybe they could whittle some stakes. I mean we are fighting vampires those will really come in handy.” Spike chuckled out joining in on the bashing of Cordelia.

The group quickly got to work, researching and planning out their invasion on the vampires and their army of minions. There was a lot to be done in such little time. Tomorrow they attack.


a/n: yes the big fight we've all been waiting for. I'm pretty excited about writing it! i hope you like it...