Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm writing this story for the Welcome Back to the Hellmouth Kinkathon. For Appomattoxco. Thank you to my beta Ashley . A big thank you for all of the wonderful reviews. Just in case there are any questions...sadly it is Parker's baby.
Buffy ran blindly back towards her dorm. She was so consumed with panic she didn’t notice the man in front of her until she slammed right into him.

“OOF,” Buffy cried out running into the hulking figure.

“Oh, I’m so…Buffy? Uh…hi,” Riley smiled shyly.

“Hi…um…” Buffy recognized the man in front of her, he was her Psychology TA, but she was too distracted by the evening’s events to remember his name.

“Riley. You shouldn’t be out here so late at night. There has been…uh some gang activity.”

Buffy looked up at him skeptically, “gangs, in Sunnydale?” She snorted.

“Well, you never know. Why don’t you let me walk me back to your dorm?” Riley asked nervously.

“Sure,” Buffy sighed not in the mood to argue.

As they walked toward the dorm an awkward silence filled the air. Riley occasionally cleared his throat, trying to gather his courage to speak. When they reached the outside of her dorm, he turned toward her.

“Listen Buffy I know we don’t know each other very well, but I would really like to take you out sometime.”

Buffy chuckled dryly closing her eyes “Riley, you seem like a really nice guy, but things are really… complicated for me right now and…”

“I totally understand, but maybe we could just go out as…friends. We could have a picnic in the park. A nice, friendly picnic… in the park… as friends,” he babbled.

Buffy couldn’t help but giggle, “Sure Riley that sounds nice.”

He immediately flashed a bright smile, “Great I’ll see you tomorrow. Have a good night,” he added hurrying away before she could protest.

What am I getting myself into? Buffy sighed walking into her doom.



*********************





Raising her hand to the door, Buffy hesitated. She had managed to avoid her friends for over a week. She had spent most of her time with Riley. She knew it was unfair to lead him on, but having his undivided attention was a nice temporary escape from reality. But Giles’ phone call had put an end to her self imposed exile from the group. He had insisted they have an emergency Scooby meeting and she knew missing it would cause everyone to freak out.

Plastering on a bright smile, she opened the door and walked inside.

“Hi guys!” she chirped immediately stiffening when she noticed the blond vampire.

“What is he doing here?” Buffy asked Giles indignantly.

“Believe me Slayer this is the last place I want to be.” Spike snorted.

Giles quickly inserted himself between the two blondes.

“Buffy I asked…” Giles began only to be interrupted by Xander.

“Paid,” Xander was quick to point out.

“Yes, well I wanted Spike to help us get to the bottom of just what these commandoes are up to. I have plotted a map of their sightings.” Giles pointed to a map on the table.

“Giles, the commandoes are human and while I’m not exactly thrilled by their presence I hardly think they warrant an emergency Scooby meeting. They seem pretty harmless,” Buffy sighed.

“Yeah, well let them shove something into your bloody brain and tell me how harmless you think they are.” Spike replied getting into Buffy’s face.

Not to be intimidated Buffy took a step even closer “Poor Spikey all neutered and not able to bite. Nope still not seeing the bad. Except maybe for the fact they didn’t dust you.”

“Sure about that slayer? Who would’ve saved your sorry arse if they had? Twice now if I remember correctly…” Spike narrowed his eyes.

“Twice,” the room echoed in confusion.

“Wha’s the matter Slayer… didn’t tell the group about your little…problem.” Spike smirked motioning towards her stomach.

Buffy’s eyes darted to her friends that back at Spike silently pleading for him to stop talking, but it was too late he was pissed off and not about to stop.

“What is he talking about Buffy?” Willow asked knowing her friend had been avoiding her.

“Nothing…just ignore him.” Buffy snapped.

“What’s the matter Slayer? Don’t you want to share the happy news?” Spike chuckled.

Buffy flew at him punching him in the nose, “I said shut up!” She screamed.

“Buffy!” Giles yelled trying to pull her from the vamp.

Spike jumped to his feet, now in full game face. He could see the tears in the girl’s eyes, but his pride refused to let him care.

“Didn’t you know women in ‘the family way’ shouldn’t be fighting,” he sneered.

Giles and Willow immediately gasped while Xander simply looked confused. Anya noticing his confusion rolled her eyes.

“That means she is knocked up.” Anya offered.

“Oh dear lord,” Giles muttered cleaning his glasses.

“Buffy is that true?” Willow asked her friend in disbelief.

Buffy narrowed her eyes at Spike, “I hate you!”

Spike blew a mock kiss to her, “Feelin’s mutual, luv.”



*********************



After the seemingly endless round of questioning from her friends and ‘dear lords’ from Giles, Buffy left her watcher’s house. She decided to spend the night at home. She knew she would need her mother’s help, but was terrified that she may be disappointed in her choices.

Luckily her mother was asleep by the time she arrived. She quietly undressed and climbed into her old bed. Pulling the covers over her head she wished to go back to an easier time. She snorted realizing there had never been an easy time, not since becoming the ‘Chosen One’. What kind of life could she offer this child? What kind of mother could she really be? She could save the whole world, but deep down she knew when it came right down to it, she could barely care for herself.

Sometime during the night she finally fell into a restless sleep. She awoke with the smell of bacon and the powerful need to empty her stomach. After a full twenty minutes in the bathroom she finally made her way downstairs.

Her stomach churned at the smell of breakfast cooking.

“Good morning,” her mother smiled flipping the pancakes onto the plate.

“I saw your bag by the door, so I made you a big breakfast. There are pancakes, sausage, bacon and my famous homemade sweet rolls. Do you want syrup or whipped cream on your pancakes?” Joyce smiled.

“Uh…mom I’m sorry, but I’m not very hungry.” Buffy crossed her arms over her stomach.

Joyce smile faded as she approached her daughter.

“Are you coming down with something?” Joyce asked placing the back of her hand on Buffy’s forehead. “You don’t feel warm, but maybe I should get the thermometer.”

“Mom I’m not sick, not like that.” Buffy sighed. She knew this was it; she had to tell her mother. With Giles and her friends knowing it was only a matter of time before she found out and it would hurt her to know she was the last to know.

“MomIampregnant” Buffy blurted out, squinting her eyes as she waited for her mother’s reaction.

Joyce just stood there mouth agape staring at her daughter. Buffy looked down fidgeting with drawstring of her pajama bottoms. She was scared to look at her mother. She didn’t want to see the hurt and disappointment in her eyes. So, when she felt her mother’s arms wrap around her she sagged into her and broke down crying.

“Oh honey, everything will be okay.” Joyce whispered stroking her daughters back.

Buffy pulled back, “How can you say that? Mom I am pregnant. I had a one night stand with a complete jerk, who won’t even talk to me anymore.”

“Buffy that’s not what matters now. You have a life growing inside of you. I’m not saying this is an ideal situation, or that I am thrill by how this has come about, but we all make mistakes. Believe me when I tell you I certainly have made my share.”

“That’s just it mom, it seems like all I have ever done is screw up and let you down.” Buffy sobbed.

“Buffy you risk your life every night saving the world. How could I be anything but proud?” Joyce smiled.

Buffy hugged her mother tightly, “I’m just so scared right now. I’m not used to being scared.”

“I know baby, I know. We will figure it out.” Joyce held her little girl.


********************


Spike kicked the small TV trying without success to make the picture clearer. Bloody peace of shit he muttered. When he heard the knock at the door he rolled his eyes.

“Sod off,” he yelled.

He knew it was probably Clem coming by to invite him to kitten poker, but he had no money or kittens. Ever since the little blow up at the watcher’s house he had steered clear of the Scoobies, unfortunately that meant no money for blood or smokes.

When he heard the door to his crypt open he jump out of his chair ready for a fight. He stopped stunned to see the watcher and Buffy’s mother standing in the middle his crypt.

“I am sorry to just barge in, but Rupert said you may have been sleeping and not heard the door.” Joyce smiled apologetically.

“Its fine, what brings you by Ms. Summ…”

“Ah…I told you before to just call me Joyce.” the woman smiled.

Giles cleared his throat, “Well, now that all the pleasantries are out of the way, Spike I have a proposition for you.”

Spike rolled his eyes, “Whatever it is I’m not interested.”

“Please Spike at least hear Rupert out.” Joyce pleaded.

Spike looked at the woman and sighed. He knew he was about to get suckered into something but he couldn’t refuse Joyce, she reminded him too much of his own mum.

“Fine Rupert, you have five minutes.” Spike announced.

“Well Spike as you are aware, Buffy is uh…well…”

“Pregnant” Spike raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, and with her slaying duties that puts her at greater risk. I am offering to pay you three hundred dollars a week to patrol with her and once she is no longer able to patrol, I will pay you five hundred dollars a week to take over until the she is able to return.”

Spike snorted, “Gee Rupes if I never knew you had such deep pockets.”

“Well, I have recently purchase the local magic shop and with a little work it should turn quite a profit.” Giles said proudly.

Spike sighed “Even if I agreed to your little offer, and I’m not saying I am, the Slayer will never go for it.”

“You leave Buffy to me.” Joyce spoke up in her stern motherly voice.

Spike chuckled, “Sure why not, I’ll play babysitter to the Slayer.”

“Oh thank you Spike” Joyce smiled embracing the vampire.

When Joyce walked out Giles hesitated at the door before turning to Spike. “It goes without saying that if anything happens to her…be it your fault or not…you are as good as dust. Do we understand each other?”

Spike nodded at the watcher as he slammed the door shut.

Oh bugger… why do I have the feeling I just made a big mistake? Spike thought shaking his head.


Please leave a review and tell me what you think