Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it has been so ling since I updated this. I hope you are still reading. I'm already halfway done the next chapter. Thanks to Ashley my beta.
Xander carried the boxes of heavy books and dropped them on the floor.

“Xander! Please do be careful, some of the books in that box are hundreds of years old.” Giles reprimanded.

“I don’t get it G-man, why did you buy this dump,” Xander frowned looking around the small shop.

“Oh Xander, I think it’s exciting! The retail shop is the cornerstone of American capitalism.” Anya beamed.

“Why thank you Anya” Giles smiled.

“Actually I made some charts.” Anya said producing a thick folder.

“Dear lord, what is all this?”

“Well, it’s just an analysis of consumer spending as it pertains to market demand, or retail potential. Did you know that by examining business revenues and area retail sales, you can determine the market’s existing supply? Based on these projections I think the shop will be a great success!”

For a long moment, the two men simple stared at her, then Giles shook his head chuckling, “Anya, would you like a job?”

Anya’s eyes widened, “really…you would let me be a part of this retail establishment?”

“Wow, my girl is going to have a job,” Xander snorted.


********************


Buffy sighed as she opened the door to her mother’s house. She had a feeling there was more to her mothers invitation then just dinner, so when she saw Giles’ car in the driveway, it was really no big surprise.

“Okay so what is this all ab…?” Buffy stopped cold when she noticed Spike sitting in the living room.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Buffy narrowed her eyes at the blond vampire.

“Hey, I’m an invited guest.” Spike smirked.

“Mom, tell him to leave…now!” Buffy spat.

Joyce signed, she knew this was not going to be easy, “Buffy hunny, I invited Spike.”

“Yeah Slayer, I’m a guest.” Spike smirked.

“A g…mom haven’t I talked to you about inviting vampires in the house.” Buffy looked sharply at her mother.

“Buffy, it’s Spike.” Joyce said patting the blond vamp on the back as she walked to join Giles on the sofa. “Now come in, Giles and I have something to talk to you about.”

Buffy crossed her arms defiantly, “Not with him here!”

“Buffy, there really isn’t time for this.” Giles commented cleaning his glasses. “Spike is here at your mother’s and my request.”

“Why?” Buffy sneered at the smiling vampire.

“Well Buffy, now that you’re pregnant, I think it’s time you thought about cutting back on your slaying.” Joyce started.

“Cut back? Mom this isn’t some job that I can ask for some time off. Tell her Giles.” Buffy snorted.

“I think what your mother is trying to say is…maybe you could use some help.” Giles added hesitantly.

“Help? What…” Suddenly Buffy’s eyes widened in understanding. “Oh no! You can’t be talking about Bleach Boy here!”

“Buffy, sweetie, you really should try to be nicer to Spike.” Joyce chided her.

Buffy fumed as Spike just sat there in the chair sipping his hot chocolate with a snide smile on his face. “Giles you can’t think this is a good idea!” Buffy looked at her watcher with pleading eyes.”

“Actually Buffy, I don’t see any other alternative, Spike may not be the ideal choice, but he is the only one capable of helping.” Giles said with an apologetic tone.

“Why would he help? He is my mortal enemy!” Buffy argued.

“Come on Buffy, you know as well as I do that Spike can’t hurt you. He is harmless.” Joyce said, casting the vampire an apologetic look when he growled in response.

Spike jumped up, “Hey, I seem to remember saving your sorry arse more than once as of late. Besides, Giles is paying me.” Spike shrugged.

“Paying you?” Buffy yelled. “Giles you can’t be serious! No way! I won’t do it.” Buffy pouted.

“Buffy Ann Summers! I have had enough of this, stop being stubborn. You have a baby to think about now. You may not be thrilled by this arrangement, but both Giles and I feel it’s the only choice. You can either willingly do this, or I’ll have to go out there with you myself! I will not have you putting yourself and my grandchild at risk…” Joyce was stopped when Buffy put her hands up in defeat.

“Fine, mom I’ll do it, but I don’t like it!” Buffy sighed.

Buffy stared at the floor as her mother, Giles, and Spike chatted about the specifics of their new arrangement. She couldn’t bring herself to listen. It was bad enough she had to deal with being the only pregnant slayer in history, now she had to have a soulless vampire as her bodyguard. How had her life spiraled so far out of control?

“You ready?” Spike asked her.

“Ready for what?” she asked still lost in her thoughts.

“Patrol? I certainly wasn’t inviting you to dinner and a movie.” Spike rolled his eyes.

“Shut up Spike. I may have to deal with you tagging along, but I don’t have to deal with your annoying comments.” Buffy spat walking towards the back door.

“You think they’ll be okay?” Joyce looked hesitantly toward Giles.

Giles chuckled, “Well they will either work it out or kill each other.”

Spike followed the irate slayer out the door. He almost slammed into her when she abruptly stopped and whirled around.

“Now look, I may have agreed to this, but there are going to be some rules. The first one being that you follow me. The last think I need is you slowing me down.” Buffy informed him.

“Damn slayer, I hope your belly doesn’t get as big as your swollen head, or you won’t be able to fit through the bloody doorway.” Spike smirked.

Before he knew what was happening Buffy punched him right in the nose, sending him sprawling back onto the grass.

“Oi, what the hell was that for?” Spike snarled grasping his broken nose.

“Enough with the fat jokes Spike!” Buffy sneered.

Spike bound to his feet stalking up to stand only inches from her face. “Oh yeah well I have a little rule of my own. I’m not your fucking punching bag. Don’t do it again.”

“Oooh, I’m so scared Spike, what are you going to do about it? Annoy me to death? Lock me in a room and force me to watch Passions?” Buffy taunted.

Spike narrowed his eyes “Joyce…can you come out here for a minute.” he yelled.

“I don’t think your mum would take to kindly to you playin’ kick the Spike, Slayer.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as her mom appeared at the back door. “You wouldn’t,” she whispered to the vamp.

“What is it Spike, is something wrong?”

Spike cocked an eyebrow. “Do we have a deal?” he whispered back.

Buffy nodded in defeat.

“Just wanted to thank you again for the hot chocolate, Joyce, no one makes it like you do.” Spike smiled.

Joyce blushed at his compliment, “Thank you, Spike, come by anytime for some. I keep extra marshmallows just for you.”

When Joyce walked back in Buffy narrowed her eyes at him, “Kiss-up.”

“Bitch,” he replied.

“Freak.”

“Daft cow”

Buffy glared at the blond vampire, “I hate you.” she said walking off into the night.

“So you keep telling me,” Spike sighed following the angry blond.