Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 4 was too short to post, so i have combines 4 and 5. Im sorry updates have been slow on this story my muse hasnt been cooperating on this one. Thank you to my beta Ashley,
Buffy staked the vamp, her chest heaving as she attempted to catch her breath. She turned and saw Spike picking at his chipped, black fingernail polish looking bored. “What the hell are you doing?” she panted.

Spike looked up innocently, “Nothin’, why?”

“That’s exactly what I mean! I have fought and dusted every vamp, while you sit there giving yourself a manicure!”

“Well, I’m not allowed to smoke I gotta keep busy somehow,” Spike shrugged.

Buffy grunted loudly in frustration throwing her arms up in the air, before turning and walking away.

Spike ran to catch up to her, “So are we done?”

“Wha…” Buffy stopped herself clenching her fists, itching to punch to blond vampire in the nose, “Yes, Spike we are done!”

“Wha’s your problem?” Spike smirked.

Buffy glared at him, “Why are you even here? You’re a waste of space. I mean you’re no use…”

“Uh…Slayer…” Spike tried to interrupt.

“No, don’t Slayer me! I’m going to talk and you are going to shut your big, fat mouth and listen…”

“Uh, you might want to rethink that, pet” Spike motioned his head at something behind her.

“No, the vamp can wait, Spike. I…”

“Buffy! Shut up and turn around!” Spike yelled.

Buffy turned to see seven vampires beginning to circle around them. She widened her eyes, mentally cursing Spike for distracting her. The vampires formed a circle around the blonds. She felt Spike’s back against hers and took a glance over her shoulder.

“Ready for some fun slayer?” Spike smirked.

Buffy felt her body relax as she turned toward the approaching vamps and smiled, “Let’s do this.”

The next few moments were a blur of punches and kicks. Occasionally Buffy would glance towards Spike marveling in his strength and speed. The smirk never left his face as he easily overpowered the vamps. Spike also had watched Buffy; even he had to admit she was glorious when she fought. Her grace and power left every move looking as if it were a choreographed dance. He felt his pants tighten as a painful erection strained his zipper. He quickly dismissed it however as a product of the fight.


When the last vamp was staked, Buffy turned towards Spike noticing he was still bouncing on the balls of his feet. She suppressed the smile threatening to form on her lips and placed her hands on her hips. “It was about time you did something.”

Spike stopped staring at her a moment before cocking his head to the side, “You didn’t need my help. Hell, you probably could’ve taken all seven of those vamps, but I was itchin’ for my spot of violence.”

Buffy frowned, “Was that supposed some kind of lame attempt at a compliment?”

Spike rolled his eyes, “You know what… just forget it. If you could stop being a bloody bitch for one second…you know what never mind. Let’s go.” He said grabbing her arm.

Buffy yanked her arm away forcefully, “I’m not going anywhere with you.”

“I was just walking you back to your dorm.” Spike growled.

“Oh…well I don’t need you to walk me anywhere. I’m the slayer remember.” Buffy reminded him, still being slightly confused by his offer.

“It’s my job to see you home safe.”

Buffy sighed, “Fine, let’s go.”

********************



Buffy stood in front of the mirror carefully applying her make up. While patrolling with Spike had started out rough, they had now fallen into a steady routine. Sure there were still the little snide remarks here and there, and although she would never admit it, it was kind of nice to have the company.

“Are y-you going out on a date?” Tara smiled watching Buffy primp.

“What no! Why?” Buffy responded suddenly defensive.

“Well, it’s just you are putting on make up and…is that a new shirt?” Willow smiled inspecting her friend.

“Well, if you must know, yes it is new, but I have gained some weight…so I needed some new clothes. I’m just going on patrol. Definitely not a date.” Buffy answered defiantly.

“S-so Willow said you and Spike have been getting along.” Tara smiled.

Buffy narrowed her eyes at the red head, “I will never get along with that blond menace.”

“I mean get along as in not killing each other, not as in you know… getting along…” Willow flashed an apologetic smile.


********************



Buffy muttered angrily to herself as she walked through the darkened cemetery. She couldn’t believe the way Willow and Tara were acting. Like I really want to spend time with that…damn vampire. She was so preoccupied she didn’t notice the figure in front of her until she smack into him.

“Buffy?”

Buffy’s eyes widened, “Oh Riley, I didn’t even see you there…wait what are you doing here?”

“Buffy I have been trying to get in touch with you. Haven’t you gotten any of my messages?”

Buffy looked down at her feet, unable to meet his eyes, she knew she should have called Riley back. She had to tell him about the baby. He seemed like a really great guy and the truth was she really liked him. “Riley, look things have been really…crazy for me right now.”

“I understand” Riley smiled.

“No, I don’t think you do Riley. There is something I have to tell you.”

“I know Buffy.”

“Wait…what do you know?”

Riley put his hands on Buffy’s shoulders. “I know the secret you have been keeping. I think you may need some help and I think I’m just the man for the job.”

Buffy blinked looking up at Riley. How could he know I’m pregnant? Her mind reeled trying to find an explanation. She doubted her friends would have told him. She put a self conscious arm over her stomach wondering if she had gotten as big as Spike had claimed. The truth was it didn’t matter how he knew, he wanted to be there for her. Looking at him with awe she smiled. This man who hardly knew her was offering to be there for her through her pregnancy. She blushed smiling, “Riley…I don’t know what to say. It’s such a huge responsibility.”

“I know but it was what I was born to do.” Riley beamed.

Buffy was still in shock. “God I feel so bad for avoiding you, it’s just… I didn’t know how to tell you. We were getting along so well and I thought you would hate me when you found out the truth.”

“Hate you? Geez Buffy I have nothing but respect for you, doing this all alone.”

Buffy blushed prettily, “I didn’t believe there were guys like you still around Riley. I mean if you tell most men you’re pregnant they’ll just run the other way, but not you.”

Riley face turned instantly white, “Pregnant? You’re pregnant?”

Buffy looked at him confused, “You said you knew my secret.”

“I meant I knew that you were the slayer…”


Buffy stood dumbstruck as her mind reeled. How did Riley know she was the slayer? Her face flamed in embarrassment when she realized his offer had not been about the baby, he hadn’t even been aware of her pregnancy.

“Buffy?” His voice broke her out of her daze.

“How? I mean…” Buffy looked up at him suddenly aware of there surroundings. She had been so flustered running into him, then so stunned by his declaration she hadn’t thought to wonder why he was in the cemetery in the middle of the night. She noticed his attire was all black and on his belt was what appeared to be a weapon. She took a cautious step back.

“You…you’re one of those…commando guys,” her eyes widened.

Riley chuckled, “I work for the US army.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, “great.”

“Buffy, we are on your side. We have the same mission. I would love to work with you.”

Buffy turned to walk away but Riley caught up falling into step with her quick departure. “So that is what this was all about?” She asked, trying not to let her hurt tone come through, “Why did you want to date me? To study me?”

Riley grabbed her arm, “No! I didn’t find out about you being the slayer until just recently.” Buffy looked up at him skeptically. “Listen, I know we have a lot to talk about. I’m on a mission right now. One of our hostiles escaped and I think we have finally tracked him down, but after…”

Buffy’s eyes widened in realization. “What are you going to do to him…um the hostile I mean?”

“Usually we just capture them, but this is a search and destroy mission.” Riley said not able to stop the smug grin that pulled at his lips.

“I…I have to go,” Buffy called over her shoulder as she turned and raced towards Spike crypt. She didn’t stop to think of why she felt this desperate need to warn him. If she had, she may have questioned why the thought of the blond vampire’s dusting made her stomach turn. She could argue it was because he was now rendered harmless due to the chip or that the thought of some government agency messing in her territory made her blood boil, but now was not the time for those questions.

Bursting though the crypt door she immediately began to call out his name. After searching the top level she jumped down to the lower, taken back at what she found. Spike was shirtless scrambling to fasten his belt with a strange look of panic in his eyes. Buffy froze her eyes traveling down the hard lines of his stomach. She blushed quickly turning her head.

“Slayer,” she heard a voice behind her hiss. However, before she could turn around she was tackled face first onto the ground..

“Oh bugger,” Spike cursed as he watched Harmony tackle Buffy. In a flash he was there pulling the blond vampire off of the slayer by her hair.

“Owww. What are you doing Blondie Bear, I had her.” Harmony whined.

“No Harm, what you have is a bloody death wish.”

Buffy jumped up pulling her stake out, “You son of a bitch, I came here to warn you and you sic your ho-bag of a girlfriend on me!”

“Just hold on a minute.” Spike said stepping between the two blonds.

“Get the hell out of my way Spike or you’re dust too.” Buffy panted.

Spike moved closer putting his hands on her arms as her raised stake pressed against his chest. “Are you ok? I mean the babe, is everything ok?”

Buffy looked up stunned to see the concern in his eyes. Tears burned her eyes as she lowered her stake. She felt out of control like a whirlwind of emotions twisted through her. “I’m fine, we’re fine.” Buffy said taking a deep breath before continuing. “The commandoes…they’re coming. They know where you are.”

Spike’s eyes widened with alarm. He nodded his head and turned toward Harmony, “In the tunnels, now!”

“But Spiiikkke…”

“Now you daft cow,” Spike barked.

“Oh no, she doesn’t get to live,” Buffy narrowed her eyes.

“Slayer, there isn’t time for that now.” Spike said shoving Harmony down into the tunnel.

“Spike,” Buffy warned.

“I’ll meet you at your mum’s… and Buffy… thanks” Spike smirked before disappearing down into the tunnels.

Buffy looked up stunned at the sound of him using her name. She watched the lip close, wondering what had just happened however was brought out of her thoughts when the sound of a loud crash from above made her jump. Taking a deep breath she sighed and headed up the ladder.


********************



Buffy walked down Rivello drive still thinking of the events of the evening. Though Riley had readily believed her excuse about just missing ‘the hostile’, some of his fellow soldiers hadn’t seemed so convinced. The commandoes had thoroughly trashed Spike’s crypt leaving Buffy feeling helpless as she could only stand there and watch. Why should it even matter? She asked herself. It’s not like they we’re friends, he was the undead, a soulless killer only helping her to earn a quick buck.

Buffy now chided herself for believing in his concerned for her well being. Of course he was concerned, she reminded herself; I had a stake to his chest. She cringed realizing his only priority was for him and his vamp ho’s to get out safely. She had worked herself into such a frenzy by the time she arrived at her mother’s house, she had decided enough was enough, no more feeling sorry for her blond vampire babysitter. Spike was not to be trusted.

When she opened the door she heard soft laughter coming from the kitchen. Buffy smiled to herself thinking her she had walked in on her mother with a date. When she rounded the corner she was shocked to find Spike sitting at the kitchen counter, looking relaxed with a steaming cup of cocoa in his hands.

“Oh Buffy dear you’re here.” Joyce smiled.

“Slayer,” Spike nodded.

“Don’t, Slayer me. I just spent the past hour having to lie to Riley just to save your sorry butt.” Buffy put her hands on her hips.

“Riley? Isn’t he the boy you have been seeing? What does he have to do with the commandoes?” Joyce asked.

Buffy glared towards Spike. “Whot?” He shrugged, “I just told her why I was meeting you here,”

“Riley is one of the commandoes.” Buffy sighed.

“What?” Spike jumped out of his chair, “you mean all along you have been snogging one of them and didn’t even tell me?”

“Not that it is any of your business, but I didn’t know until tonight.” Buffy placed her hands on her hips.

“And what do you think ‘ole Captain Cardboard will say when he finds out?” Spike raised an eyebrow.

“What? He…won’t. I mean the semester is almost over so I will be moving back home and then we can just meet here to patrol.”

“Well honey, you may be right, but I don’t think Spike will be safe any longer in his crypt.” Joyce interjected.

“Well then he will just have to find somewhere else to go. Either way that’s really not my problem.” Buffy scowled at the blond vamp.

“Already found somewhere,” Spike smirked.

“Honey, I invited Spike in stay here, in the basement.” Joyce told her daughter.

“What? No, no way is he staying here,” Buffy argued.

“Buffy this is my home, and I say he is welcomed here. He can’t protect you and the baby if he has to worry about his own safety.”

“Mom, they are the good guys and Spike is…is a soulless vampire. That doesn’t seem the least bit wrong to you?” Buffy threw her hands up in the air in exasperation.

“Buffy, Spike can’t defend himself against them. He is staying here and that is final! Now, I’m going to get some sheets and blankets for the air mattress.” Joyce announced turning to leave the room.

“Why bother, why not just give him my room,” Buffy called sarcastically after her mother.

“If you’re offering, can’t say I’d turn it down.” Spike smirked tucking his tongue behind his teeth.

“You’re a pig.” Buffy snapped blushing at his innuendo.

“Maybe so Slayer, but it looks like you better get used to having me around.” Spike chuckled.