Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again for all the reviews and to spikes mrs for editting this for me.
Mates Pain


Chapter 12 Spike prepares Buffy for Joyce’s arrival


The afternoon after Buffy and Spike had gone to LA with Giles and Willow, Xander was walking up the front walk on Revello drive to knock on Joyce’s door.


Hearing a knock, on the door, Joyce gets up and goes to answer it. “Hello Xander, Buffy isn’t here right now, in fact she should be at the dorm or in class.”


“Actually that is why I am here, Giles asked me to come and see you today.” Xander pauses before asking. “May I come in?”


“Oh, yes sorry about that, please come in.” Joyce says as she moves aside, to let him enter the house.


“I am assuming if Giles asked you to come he is otherwise occupied?” Joyce asks wondering what is going on.


“Yes he took, Buffy, Willow and Spike to Angel’s last night, he is expecting you to go with me and Anya tonight.” Xander says her, really hoping she won’t ask too many questions.


“I just got home why would, I want to go and interrupt Buffy’s Slayer business?” Joyce asks him, trying to figure out what is going on.


Xander tells her, “She is not there on Slayer business she has been injured and Giles took her there for, her safety.”


Starting with her worrying Joyce asks after hearing her only daughter is injured. “What time are you leaving at?”


“What time can you be ready at, I called in saying there was a family emergency and I need the rest of the week off.” Xander tells her.


Thinking she says to him, “I just put my laundry in the dryer, is there anything that Buffy needs?”


“I don’t know what Willow, packed for her, but if you can think of anything, which she might like from here as long is it won’t harm Spike it should be fine.”


“I take it that William is helping Giles care for my daughter?” Joyce questioned with out concern for Buffy.


“He is the strongest person at times, to be there for her.” Xander says thinking to himself, I won’t tell her the real reason that Spike is taking care of Buffy that can be Giles job.


“2 hours, I can be ready in 2 hours. It will take about an hour for the dryer, and then I will have to repack. Would you and Anya like to come for Supper before we leave?” Joyce asks.


“That would be nice, Mrs. Summers.”


“I’ll see you back here at 5pm then, I must go and call my boss Richard to tell him I won’t be in at the gallery for at least another week.”


“No problem, I will see you later.” Xander says as he gets up and leaves her house.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


*****Later that night in LA. *****


“Well luv, its time to get us all cleaned up, I would imagine the Whelp has already gotten your Mum and is on the way here, by now.” Spike tells her as he slides himself off the bed and gets ready to pick her up. Once he has her in his arms, he then walks over to the bathroom with her, and closes the door.


After laying Buffy on the carpeted floor beside him, he sits on the edge of the tub, and reaches in to place to stopper in the drain; he then starts the water and makes sure it is at the desired temperature, that he wants it at.


He then takes Buffy back in his arms and runs his wet finger over her cheek when she starts to quiet down some. “No stay awake, this is going to make you feel so good; hopefully you will even open those pretty green eyes for me.” Then he reaches back into the tub and turns the water off.


After turning off the water, he slides the both of them in the tub and places Buffy against his chest, so he can wash her.


As he starts to wash her, she starts to make a very quiet mewling sound, almost like a kittens meowing.


“You sound like a kitten, sweetheart, I told you, you would love this.” He says as he leans forward and kisses her forehead.


After a few minutes of running the wash cloth over her, he lays her down against his thighs and wets her hair, he then runs his fingers through it a couple times and lifts her up a bit to apply some shampoo and massage it into her scalp. Once he is done he gently lowers her into the water and washes it out. Then he lifts her out of the tub and wraps her in some warm fluffy towels.


“I’ll just be a minute,” he says as he places her on the floor and wraps her in a second towel. He then steps back in the tub and pulls the plug turning on the shower, he quickly washes his hair, paying not much attention to the water temperature, since it doesn’t bother him anyway, he gets out, dries himself off and picks Buffy up to carry her into the room again.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


10 minutes later they are back in their room, both fully dressed and Spike is currently doing Buffy’s hair. As he is gently brushing out the tangles in her hair he hears a faint knock at the door. “Come in.” He calls out not stopping what he is doing, knowing that his demon would not have a problem with whoever is at the door, because Angel would not send Gunn up yet, since he didn’t know him.


Willow, shyly walks into the room.


“You know I won’t bite Red.” Spike says with a smirk as she walks into the room a little bit further.


“You’re forgetting I was the one you tried to bite, when you broke out.” Willow tells him with a small smile on her face, at his comment.


“Right then you know I can’t hurt you, so when are you going to give up that fear you have when ever I am around?”


“I am trying not to be, but the bottle in the face as well of other things keeps it there.” Willow tells him.


“I guess not, so what did you want, I am thinking you a’re here for a reason and I am currently trying to get the Slayer ready, since I reckon her Mum will be here soon.”


“Actually that is why I am here, Giles says that Xander called and told him they were about an hour away. Giles wanted me to see if you need any help giving her a bath, but I can see you have already done that, so I will just be going.” Willow tells him as she turns around to leave.


“You know you don’t have to go Red, but you could do me a favour.” Spike calls out to halt her from leaving.


“So what do you want me to do? Spike.” Willow asks stopping where she is.


“The Slayer liked her bath, and I need to speak to the Watcher about it before, Joyce gets here.”


“Would you like me to go get him?” She asks, happy to be able to help.


“Yes please.”


“I won’t be long,” She says as she leaves the room and goes down to the lobby to find Giles.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


Once in the lobby, Willow sees that Giles is in the office talking to Wesley and Angel, so she goes over to where the office is and enters it quietly not wanting to interrupt what they are talking about.


Seeing Willow enter the office, Giles asks her, “What is the matter, my dear girl.”


“Spike would like to see you, he said Buffy liked the bath and he needs to speak to you about it.”


“How would he know she liked the bath, when she still has yet to wake up?” Wesley asks, still trying to figure it all out.


Giles informs Wesley, “Spike is very in tune to her, and actually he has always been that way with her, even when he was trying to kill her. Also he has commented that she is making a noise when she is awake.”


Angel informs them, “She is, it’s almost as if she is trying to communicate with him. As for being in tune with her, he has never taken it upon himself to study someone as much as he has studied her. To be honest it is a good thing, other wise she would be dead by now.”


“You are most likely right.” Giles agrees with him.


“We should go see what this is about.” Angel says as he starts to leave the office.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


Giles and Wesley follow, Angel out of the office and up to Buffy and Spike’s room. As they enter the room Spike says to them. “Was starting to think you weren’t bleedin’ coming.”


“Sorry we had to deal with something first, so Willow said she liked her bath.” Giles explains to him, before questioning the reason on why Willow said Spike wished to see him.


“Yeah she did, instead of her soft whimpers, like she has been doing; she started making a soft mewling sound, almost like a kitten.” Spike tells them.


“Then maybe we should put her in water more often.” Giles suggested to Spike.


“Was thinking that actually, I was going to ask to see Angel too, but he is here. Was wondering if he knew if the hotel had a pool, hot tub or something like it.”


“Not that I know of, but I will see what we can do, might even be able to get a portable spa for her.” He tells Spike, wanting to help Buffy as much as he can.