Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to spikes mrs for editting this and thanks for all the reviews. Again I don't own them just like to play with them.
Mates Pain


Chapter 13 Joyce arrives in LA, and Spike breaks down


*****Later that night Joyce arrives at the hotel with Xander and Anya.*****


Xander walks in and sits down next to Willow in the lobby, before asking “How is Buffy?”


“No change.” Willow informs him quietly.


“This can’t be good, Wills it has been almost 4 days that is like half a week.” Xander says to her, concern clearly in his voice.


“On a normal human, no but Buffy is Eternal now, she could stay like this for quite a while, and then all of a sudden, she wakes up.” Anya informs them as she sits down next to Xander.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


When Giles hears what the children are talking about, he comes out of the office and goes up to Joyce. “Hello Joyce, if you will follow me, I would like to talk to you first before you go and see, Buffy.” He then turns and goes back into the office with Joyce in tow.


Once in the office, Joyce asks him with anger present in her voice. “Would you like to tell me what is wrong with my daughter, and why she has Spike taking care of her?”


“Joyce maybe you should calm down and let me explain what is going on.” Giles suggests to her.


“I think that would be a good idea.” She says as she takes as seat.


“I’ll just go tell Spike that Buffy’s Mother is here.” Angel says as he leaves the office.


“I hope you don’t get any ideas, to get back together with her, honestly Spike is the better Vampire for the job.” She tells Angel, as he starts to leave the office.


“No Mrs. Summer, I will not be getting back together, with Buffy.” Angel says as he leaves the office, with a shake of his head.


“Joyce, what makes you say that Spike, is the better Vampire for the job.” Giles asks, hoping she will be willing to understand the Mating between Buffy and Spike.


“Why he loves her, and if it was him dating her, I would not have put a stop to the relationship.” She simply tells Giles.


Giles lets out at sigh before continuing, “That makes what I have to tell you some what easier.” after a short pause he continues, to tell Joyce everything that has happened. “A couple of weeks ago, Willow did a spell; it caused me to go blind and Xander to become a demon magnet. She also said that Spike and Buffy should get married, now for them to truly get married it would be impossible, but if they did it in the demon community they could do it right away.”

“Are you telling me my daughter got married?”

“In a way yes, they are now Mates, to Mate it involves a ritual to be done with the exchange of bodily fluids and blood, and is not reversible. The only way out of being mated is to have and elder in his line claim her, which would involve a fight to death.” Giles explains to her.


After letting that sink in for a couple minutes he continues. “Spike when he found out what he did during the spell he felt bad and offered to let Angel take over the claim, but Buffy informed him it wouldn’t happen and Angel was informed as well. You see the spell between Buffy and Spike cause, Spike to do one of the two things that you do not ever do to a Slayer, either claim them as their mate or turn them into a vampire. Because of the claim Buffy is now Eternal, and I believe Spike is changing as well.”


“Good, I am glad Angel wasn’t allowed to take over, and it is not too much to assume they have been together sexually.” Joyce asks him.


“Like any newly married couple, very much. Buffy broke up with Riley as well and Spike has been talking about buying a house for them as well. I don’t think when she gets better, that he will be willing to leave her for a while.”


“You are most likely right, I won’t stop them from being together, he can even move into the house for a while, he seems to me like he is the protective type to the people he loves.” Joyce says to Giles.


“Yes I can see that, just by the way he has been caring for her.” Giles says before continuing with everything that has happened. “On Wednesday morning, Spike woke up panicked, it seems Buffy went back to her dorm room, between classes. Riley must have followed her, I don’t know everything, that took place and neither does Spike, but Riley somehow got a tazor and used it one her. He then took her back to his dorm room and chained her up, where he repeatedly raped her and tazored her, just before we got there she woke up and Spike instructed her to let him know where she was, by screaming. Buffy screamed and lunged up to try and knock him off of her. Somehow he managed to push her down, he grabbed the tazor and turned it up full blast and held it to the base of her neck. She hasn’t woken up since.”


By the time he was finished both he and Joyce had tears in their eyes.


Composing herself she says, “I think I would like to see my daughter and her Mate now.”


“Very well, we shall go see Buffy and Spike.” Giles tells her, as he realizes everything is going to be ok for both Buffy and Spike for right now, with Joyce here.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


*****Up in Spike and Buffy rooms.*****


While Joyce and Giles talk downstairs, Angel goes up and has a chat with Spike.


Hearing a knock on the door, Spike calls out. “Come in Peaches.”


Angel enters the room and goes to say something but Spike beats him to it. “What you think my senses are hiding, because of everyone being here, think again Angelus. They are more alert because of Buffy.”


“Actually I wasn’t going to say anything about that, I just wanted to let you know that Joyce is here and she is not exactly happy. She has already laid into me and Giles.”


“I don’t doubt that she will be mad, I’ll be lucky if she doesn’t stake me.” Spike tells him.


“I don’t know she has always had a liking for you, considering your first meeting was her hitting you over the head with an axe, while you were trying to bite her daughter.” Angel tells him.


“Yeah, I know just wait until she finds out that her 18 year old daughter is mated to a Vampire. I don’t expect her to be too Bloody kind.” Spike tells him.


“No most likely not.” Angel says before he notices how quiet Buffy is and the slower pace of her heartbeat. “Are you going to wake her, when her mother comes up?”


“Don’t know.” Spike tells him.


“I imagine Joyce will be in here for a while, so I’ll ask you now, where do you want me to sleep tonight, in here with you or in my own room?”

“Don’t know depends on how long Joyce stays and how everything, going on. Check back before you go to bed.” Spike informs him.


“Will do, I need to go and meet up with some of my staff and finish looking into the portable spa or hot tub for her.”


“Keep me informed about that.” Spike says as Angel goes to leave the room.


Sitting with his back against the headboard, he moves Buffy so her head is lying on his lap, stroking her hair with one hand he speaks to her quietly. “Don’t worry sweetheart, I won’t let anyone take you away from me.”


___________________________________________________________________________________


20 minutes later after entering Buffy and Spikes room Giles and Joyce find Buffy laying on Spikes lap and him gently stroking her hair with his hand.


Looking up as they enter, he simply states. “She likes her hair being petted.”


“Yes she has always like what you are doing.” Joyce tells him before turning to Giles, “Would you please leave, I would like to spend time with my daughter and her Mate.”


Giles nods and walks out of the room.


Looking up at her after Giles leaves the room, Spike tries to hold back the tears that he is on the verge of shedding and says. “I am so sorry Joyce.”


Walking over to him she sits down beside him and pulls him into her arms. “It’s alright William; everything is going to be okay.”


“I should have been there for her; if I had have been strong enough to fight the spell the Mating would never have taken place.” Spike tells her putting all the blame on himself.


“William look at me.” She says in a soft and quiet voice, waiting for him to look up at her before continuing she says. “One thing I can tell you Buffy is always worried about is dying again. From what I understand you saved her life, even if she didn’t break up with Riley he would have eventually done what he did to her.”


She pauses as she lets that sink in for him, and then she continues. “Rupert told me about everything, she still would have come face to face with him while fighting those voice stealing demons.”


“I guess you are right, Joyce.” He says as the tears continue to come down his face.


Pulling him back to her, she says. “This must be so hard for you; I don’t think anyone really thinks about how you are coping.”


“Rupert also told me you have been talking about getting a house for you and Buffy; I will not stop you from taking her. If she doesn’t want to go back to school I won’t make her go. But until you do get a house, I would like you to move in with me and Buffy. I am not mad at you Spike.”


“Thank you.” Spike says quietly.


“You’re welcome, now I think you should lie down and let a mother protect her daughter and what ever you are to me now.” Joyce tells him with a confused look on her face.


Spike chuckles. “You could say I’m your son in law, I’m sure most humans won’t understand what Mates actually are.” He says as he moves Buffy to lie down beside her.

“How do you want you’re… Can I say Wife, Mate just sounds so strange to me?” Joyce asks.


“When you are at home or around the others Wife will be fine, but she still has to be established as my Mate in the demon community.” Spike tells her.


“I understand.” Joyce replies.


Spike rolls on his side facing Buffy and Joyce, he then takes Buffy and puts her back to his chest, and his arm around her waist holding her. Joyce lies down and puts her arm around Buffy.

Both Mother and Vampire fall into a peaceful sleep, protecting their loved one between them.


______________________________________________________________________________________


Sometime during the night Joyce’s arm must have come up and round Spike as well, because that is how Angel sees them sometime later when he goes to check on Spike to see if he needs him again tonight.