Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews and again thanks to spikes mrs for editting this for me. I don't own them just like to play with them.
Mate’s Pain


Chapter 15 Buffy makes some progress


Angel sits down in a chair after he enters Buffy and Spike’s room waiting for Spike to acknowledge him.


“You know I don’t have all day for you to tell me what’s on your mind.” Spike snaps at him.


“We might have found a way to bring Buffy back to all of us, but to be sure it might cause Buffy a little pain and quite possibly you as well.” Angel tells him.


“What do you have in mind?” Spike asks.


“Before I say too much, remember Sire commands still work on you.” Angel informs him.


“Bloody hell, Peaches, what is it I have to do, stake myself?” Spike asks.


“No, you need to separate from her for a few minutes; we need to establish if she is in fact seeking her mate. Right now she seems to be comforted enough with you just holding her, what we are hoping is if you go have a shower, or go for a walk or something, she won’t wake up but she might get agitated enough for her to have to use the telepathic connection with you.” Angel explains to him.


“So I go have a shower, then what? If she does what you want her to do then how do I calm her again?” Spike asks him, with worry clear in his voice.


“Don’t worry about that, I will help you, when it happens.” Angel says as if he knows it will happen.


“So you’ll be sitting with her, while I leave the room.” Spike asks to make sure she won’t be alone, his demon is mad that he has to leave her even for a few minutes.


“Unless you want Giles or someone else?” Angel asks.


“I’m not dressing if there is a problem, so you will have to do.” Spike tells him, “so when do you want to do it?” He then asks.


“When ever you are ready.” Angel tells him.


“She just went to sleep about 20 minutes ago, so maybe we should do it now.”


“So where are you going to go?” Angel asks him.


“I’m going to have a shower, as much as I enjoy taking the baths to wash the Slayer and all, I still enjoy showers too. Besides I won’t smell as fruity if I have a shower instead of the Bubble baths I’ve been giving her.” Spike tells him.


“Got that right even I don’t want to kiss you. Now you are stalling, just go.” Angel tells him.


Spike gets off the bed and turns around to lean down to give Buffy a kiss on the forehead, then says. “I’ll be back shortly; if you need me you know how to call me.” Then he gets up and goes over to Angel and fakes kissing him before going to the bathroom, to take his shower.

__________________________________________________________________________________


5 minutes after Spike left Buffy to start his shower, he starts to hear a dull whimper in his head. Thinking about what Angel has said, he says to himself, ‘it would be better to let her open the link a little more before I go running to her.’


The longer Spike is away from Buffy the more whimpering she would do, after listening to her whimper for 5 minutes straight, Angel starts to wonder if he should get Spike, when Spike come running out covered in a towel.

Climbing on the bed, he lets his towel fall as he lays down next to her, then he pulls Buffy into his arms, all the while gently cooing in her ear. “Shh! Its okay, I’m here now.” As he is talking to Buffy he starts to run his fingers down her check and across her closed lips.


“So I guess we know why she has been so quiet lately.” Angel says.


Spike didn’t respond to Angel, he just kept trying to calm her down.


“There is another thing to try, it won’t happen instantly, but within a few days she should recognize it.” Angel tells him.


“What would that be?” Spike asks wondering why he wasn’t told sooner.


“Your blood, I’m not a fool, I know both of you have been drinking from each other, each of you have the marks on you to prove it.”


“Yes she has and she likes it, but how do I know she will want it now?” Spike tells him, with concern he would be forcing his blood on her and her not wanting it.


“Use it as a comfort.” Angel tells him. “Not much just prick you finger and rub it on her lips, if that doesn’t work, give her a few drops right on her tongue.” Angel explains to him.


“Guess I will take you word for it.” Spike says as he pricks his finger with his fang.


After he pricks his finger, he lets his fangs reside back into his gums and sucks on the finger to get the blood flowing. After a minute or two he then removes it from his mouth and rubs it on Buffy’s closed lips.


After a couple minutes and he still is receiving no response from her, he gently eases her mouth open enough for him to slide his finger into her mouth, like he has been doing all week with water. He softly rubs the finger on her tongue then lets the blood drip onto it. Then he removes the finger and licks it sealed.


Angel and Spike are both sitting on the bed waiting to see what Buffy will do now that she has had Spike’s blood for the first time since she was hurt. After sitting quietly for a couple of minutes they notice that she has stopped the whimpering that she does and has started doing the kitten like mewling she does in the bath or when she likes something.


“You liked that didn’t you?” Spike questions her as he wipes the blood still on her lips off and then licks his finger clean. “You also found a way to open the link, when I wasn’t with you. That was such a great accomplishment for you today.” He says as he kisses her forehead.


Seeing how she reacted, Angel says. “I’ll just be going, but it might be a good idea for you to try that every couple of hours.” Angel suggests to Spike.


With a tone of anger to his voice Spike says. “If you think I am going to be leaving her every couple of hours you can start to rethink it.”


Know he has to defuse Spike he says, “No your blood, giving it to her every couple of hours, but it would also benefit her if you did leave her side for a few minutes a day.”


“That we can discuss later.” Spike says making it clear he is not talking about that.


“I figured that.” Angel says as he gets up and leaves the room.

__________________________________________________________________________________


Back down in the lobby where everyone else is.


Giles walks up to Angel when he sees him re-enter the lobby. “I am assuming you went to talk to Spike.”


With a sigh Angel says. “Yes, you and Wesley were right, when Spike left her side for a few minutes, after I informed him that Sire commands still worked on him. She managed to open up their telepathic link and she also started to get really agitated, but she never moved a muscle.”


“I do have a theory on that but would like to wait until she wakes to address it.” Giles informs the group.


“On a plus note, I had Spike prick his finger and give her some of his blood. She seemed to like it as she started to mewl like she does when she likes something. I suggested to Spike it might be good to give her some of his blood like that every couple of hours and I also told him he should leave her for a few minutes a day.”


“I take it he did not take the last part well.” Giles say knowing how protective Spike is of Buffy.


“No he didn’t take it well, just said it would be discussed at a later date.” Angel tells Giles already knowing that it will not be discussed again.


“I will talk to him later, after we do more research on demon Mating.” Giles tells everyone with a smile on his face, when the young people make a groan to complain.

__________________________________________________________________________________


3 days later, Giles brings some more blood, up to Spike and Buffy’s room.


Sensing someone at the door, Spike calls out “You might as well come in Watcher, have a seat and tell me what is on your mind.”


Giles enters the room and place the mug he is carrying beside Spike on the table and sit in the chair next to it.


Waiting for Giles to start, Spike takes the mug and quickly drains it and places it back down on the table. “She almost looks like she is trying to wake up,” Giles gets out as he looks at Buffy and not Spike.


Knowing how hard this is on Giles, Spike tells him. “Sometimes I think that as well, she started to touch my finger with her tongue a couple of times when I was dripping the blood on it the last time.”


“I take it she has never done this before.” Giles questions the new information he was just given.


“No she hasn’t.”


“I’ve been thinking she has been going without food for a week and a half now, if she doesn’t wake up soon I would like to start her on soft food, I was thinking of the jars you would give and infant learning to eat, but I would like her to have a little more tongue movement before we start that.” Giles tells him what is on his mind.


“Give me till Monday night, which is 2 days from now if she hasn’t woken up on Tuesday morning I will try to give it to her. I will get it in her somehow. Are you talking about the blueberry or strawberry stuff in the jars with babies on them?” Spike questions him.


“Yes, that would be best and I would imagine her tongue movement would have increased by then as well.”


“We can only hope, but she is getting some nourishment from my blood.” Spike informs him.


“Yes I am well aware of that,” Giles answers back as he starts to get up to leave. “It is getting late, so I will leave you be for now.”

“Night Watcher.”

__________________________________________________________________________________


True to Spikes word, on Tuesday morning he started to feed Buffy some jar strawberries that Giles went out and bought.


That night Giles came to see Spike again. “So how does she like the strawberries?”


“It was slow in the beginning, I would give her some blood on my finger then I would try to give her the spoon with strawberries on it. She wouldn’t take it so I started to mix my blood with the strawberries and she seemed to take it. I have been alternating between the blood and food. She is pulling a little harder at my blood when I give it to her on my finger.” Spike informs him.


“I take it that is a good sign.”


“Very, but I still don’t know when she will awake.” Spike reminds him.


“Yes quite right, if you don’t mind Joyce would like to stay goodnight, to her.” Giles informs him.


“She knows she can come in anytime.” Spike reminds him.


“Quite right, I’ll just go and get her.”