Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews, and spike mrs for editting this, also this is the only fic I have time to update this week, and it is only because it is completely typed.
Mate’s Pain


AN: ~ mean that they are speaking to each other in their minds, using their telepathic link. Buffy is talking in this chapter but Spike is the only one to hear her, so what she says when it is to other people it is really Spike saying it. Her voice is to low and if it wasn’t for his Vampire hearing he would not either.




Chapter 17 The doctors look at Buffy


Just then there was a knock on the door and sensing that it as Angel, Spike calls out “Peaches come on in, and bring the other good Doc with you.”


Angel enters the room with the other Doctor, he gestures for the other Doctor to have a seat beside the Doctor from Sunnydale, then he take up his position on the wall as he had done earlier that day.


Once seated beside Dr. Goodman, he leans forward and extents his hand to Spike and Buffy. “It is a pleasure to meet you, I am Dr. Calton.”


Spike leans forward and takes his hand, while saying. “I see Angelus has enlightened you to what my demon can be like, what he didn’t tell you is. My demon will probably not harm you, but you can never be too careful.” Then Spike leans back against the headboard and rest Buffy against his side again.


“I hope it is alright that I asked Dr. Calton here to meet with you and Buffy. He is also going to help assess what is wrong with her plus if I am teaming with a local doctor you won’t have to wait for me to treat her all the time.”


“That is fine.” Spike tells him.


“Has Buffy let on, that she is in any pain at all?” Dr. Goodman questions Spike.


“Yes.” Spike simply states.


“Alright then, I think it is time for everyone that doesn’t need to be here, leave so I can check her out.” Angel and Giles move from their spots to leave as the doctor addresses Spike. “You let me examine her once, now if you can’t do that again then you leave as well. If you interfere at all when I am examining her, I will be requesting you to leave as well.”


Letting Angel search his eyes to gage the way his demon is holding up he say to the doctor. “Demon won’t stop you, you helped her once and it understands your trying to help her again now.”


Angel nods to Spike, and then continues out the door with Giles.


After they have shut the door and start walking away, Giles turns to Angel “I believe he will not do anything, knowing it could harm her treatment from the doctor.”


“I know I saw it in his eye.” Angel tells Giles as they continue to walk down the hall.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


Back in Buffy and Spike’s room the doctor starts to question Buffy some after the others have left. “Alright Buffy, could you tell me where you are having the most pain?”


“My neck, everything else is kind of numb.” She says in an almost whisper that is her voice right now, so Spike has to relay it back to the doctor.


He explains to Buffy and Spike what he plans on doing before waiting for her answer. “I am going to do a test, by applying different amounts of pressure to various locations of your body. Do you think you could tell me what you are able to feel?”


Again Spike relays her answer to the doctor. “Yes but I can take a lot of pain, before it gets to bad.”


“You don’t need to be strong like the Slayer all the time, besides I can feel your pain before you do.” Spike informs her.


Confirming that he will be told, he says. “So I take it at least one of you is going to do what I asked?”


Answering before Buffy can say anything, Spike says. “She will, but if I notice she is not telling. I will say something.”


“If you don’t mind I would like to start with her neck, so would you please take off her over shirt off?”


“I figured you would want to so that is why I put her in a tank top and blouse.” Spike tells the doctor as he removes the shirt from Buffy.


Telling Spike how he wants her, Dr. Goodman say. “Can you place her with, her back to me please?”


Spike turns her so, she is sitting on his lap with her back facing the doctor and he then gently pulls her hair to the side, to give the doctor better access.


Looking at her neck he says. “You had quite a few marks around your neck, but right here was the worst,” he says pointing to a spot on her neck. “So I would like to start here by applying a small amount of pressure, to see how it is healing.”


When the doctor touches Buffy’s neck, she starts to cry.


Spike knows the doctor is trying to help her, so he has to hold his demon back, but says. “You’re hurting her.”


“I’m sorry Buffy; I hope you can understand I am trying to help you.”


“Yeah we do.” Spike replies to the doctor.


“If you let me schedule and x-ray for her, I will leave her neck alone.”


Replying to the doctor Spike says. “If she won’t be in pain you can x-ray anywhere you want.” Even if in his mind he is hearing her say ~ Spike no, I hate hospital~ Responding to her in his mind as well ~Sorry Slayer but if the good Doctor thinks it needs to be done, then it gets done.~


Once he has the attention of Buffy and Spike again he starts. “So I am going to move down her spine now, Dr. Calton will be marking on a chart.” He says as he starts to press his fingers on various spots along her spine.


While doing this Buffy notes only 3 spots on her spine where she could feel anything at all, so Spike told the doctor for her.


“That was great Buffy, now I am going to start with your toes and work up.”


As he is working his way up her legs, Buffy lets him know at her toes, knees and hips she was able to feel some pain. He then works the same way up her arms making sure not to move to close too her neck. They let him know that she has some pain at the fingers and elbows.


Sitting back in his chair, he says to her. “Thank you Buffy, you helped me pin point your recovery quite well. If you want you can have Spike turn you back around now.”


Looking at Spike before talking, he tells them “I am not sure what Slayer healing is, but most of my patients would be in a coma or paralysed, from what I can tell, your body shut your system down so you could heal. Right now you can not move, but you are healing and will be back to yourself again, someday soon I would imagine.”


“He’s right; I was in a wheelchair for a few months after you dropped the organ on me. We might heal faster, but even Slayers and Vampires don’t heal over night if we are hurt bad enough.” Spike reminds her.


“I know” She says quietly to Spike.


Turning to face the doctors, Spike tells them what Slayer healing is. “She has added strength and reflexes are quicker as well as her stamina and she can heal ten times faster than most humans.”


“Actually Spike has brought up my next question.” He tells everyone, before continuing “Getting around, now I know it won’t be permanent, but I would like to get you into a wheelchair to move around.”


“Where would we have to go for that?” Spike wonders, not sure if he wants to put her through the stress he went through when he was in one.


“Well I wasn’t sure what; I would be walking into today so I did bring a couple of different types with me. But first I will have to check one more thing.” The Doctor told him honestly.


With her voice getting stronger, but not loud enough for the doctors to hear, she asks “What is it?”


“I need both you and Spike to trust me, what I need is for him to sit you in the middle of the bed, so I can see how you can balance on you own.”

Instantly Buffy murmurs “Blood”

“After you do this for the good Doc, I am sure he will give you a few minutes alone then.” Spike simply states so everyone knows the plan.


“That would be find, since I need to have Dr. Calton book the x-ray for tonight, and I will need to find where I can park the van so you will be able to go outside. “


“There is a parking garage under the hotel, if you park it beside the black convertible then you will be by the elevator and also will be safe for me and Angel.” Spike informs him as he starts to get up.


“Wait” Buffy calls out, but only Spike is able to hear it.


Sitting back beside her, he asks “What’s wrong luv?”


“Nothing I have some questions” She tells him.


“I am sure the doctor won’t mind you asking some questions.”


“No not at all Buffy, what would you like to know?”


Without a thought she asks. “When can Spike and I make love again and when can I have chocolate again?”


“Let’s address the last one first, once you have managed with some solids then you can have hard chocolate, as long as it is soft you can have anything to eat now. Ice cream and other soft chocolate would be fine as well. You will need to build up to eating total solids. Now for the other, if I don’t find anything that would be a concern, then you are good to go tomorrow, so if I don’t say no to it tonight then you can tomorrow. Now can we please see how strong you are?”


“Okay, Spike leave me for a couple minutes.” Buffy orders him.


“Sure, Slayer” He says as he gets up and places her in the middle of the bed, with her arms at her sides. Then he moves away.


After a few minutes Buffy starts to cry from the pain of holding herself up, Spike then sits back down on the bed and takes her in his arms. He then vamps out and pricks his finger with a fang and puts it in her mouth for her.


Seeing what he is doing, Dr. Calton stands up and quietly says. “I think it is our cue to leave.” Then he starts walking to the door.


Dr. Goodman gets up as well and says. “I believe you are right.” They leave the room together.


As they are going out the door, Spike says. “I will bring her down shortly, shouldn’t be more than 10 minutes.


Then they close the door behind them and head down to the lobby.