Author's Chapter Notes:
Just to point out I am no a doctor so weather this is true in the medical world or not it is in the fic, this is for entertainments purposes only. So thank you for the reviews and again to spikes mrs who was editted this for me. Again I don't own them just like to play with them.
Mate’s Pain



Chapter 18 They find out more to what is wrong with Buffy


Once both doctors are in the lobby of the hotel, Dr. Calton addresses the first Vampire he met that day. “Is there a phone I can borrow?”


“Yes, you can use the phone in my office, that way there you can have some privacy while you are on the phone.” Angel informs him before thinking to himself at least he doesn’t know that both I and Spike can hear almost everything and I will be able to hear everything he says on the phone right now.


Dr. Goodman is met by Giles. Giles tells him as he guides him over to where Joyce and Buffy‘s friends are now sitting. “I would like you to meet Buffy’s mother Joyce.” Once they reach Joyce he says to her “Joyce I would like you to meet Dr. Goodman, Dr. this is Joyce Summers.”


Reaching out she shake hands with the doctor, as she tells him “It’s nice to finally meet you, and is everything alright with Buffy?”


“Well she does have a lot of recovery ahead of her, but she is strong and should be just fine with Spike’s help. I don’t see to much trouble with her mental state right now either.”


Just as Spike is carrying Buffy downstairs, Giles answers the doctor. “I believe you might be right.”


Walking up to the group of people around the doctor, Spike says as he sits down beside Joyce with Buffy, “I see you were assaulted with questions.” Then turns to Giles “Watcher show the good Doc where it is safe for him to park his van, so I can take Buffy outside. I told him to park by Angel’s car; it should be safe there as I know Angel will go out sometimes during the day.”


“Yes, alright let me show you.” Giles tells the Doctor as they start to walk off.


After they leave the lobby, Dr. Calton comes out of the office and rejoins Buffy and Spike. “I have a few times tried to get as close to sundown, but my only problem is I am not exactly sure when it is so I tried my best.”


Looking at Angel while he speaks he tells the doctor. “If there is underground parking or a covered pathway to the door I can go almost any time, but the halls would have to be void of sunlight as well. And we would have to be able to leave the car where it is parked.”


“Yes, Will I will drive you.” Angel says as he addresses him with the short form of Spike’s human name.


________________________________________________________________________________


After discussing and picking a time to go for the x-ray and deciding on a time about 30 minutes before sunset. Angel then leads, the Doctor, Joyce, Buffy and Spike to the hotels underground parking.


Seeing that everyone has joined them in the parking garage, Dr. Goodman asks “So were you successful in getting an appointment for tonight?”


“Yes, we are going for 5:30pm. They tell me it is about 30 minutes before sunset.” Dr. Calton replies.


Confused Dr. Goodman asks. “I thought you couldn’t go out in the sun?”


Leaning up against Angel car, Spike informs him “This car here is extra tinted.”


“So we will meet you there, now let’s get her into a chair so, you don’t have to carry her all the time.” The Doctor questions before telling Spike what he wants done.


“She is as light as a feather, I really don’t mind.” Spike lets him know.


“Carrying her some is fine, leaning against you, holding her in you lap as well as spending long periods of time flat on her back or front can be damaging to her spine right about now.” The doctor informs Spike.


Trying not to be to upset that he could be hurting his mate by having her in his arms Spike questions. “Some is fine?”


“Yes, Spike some will be fine, now can we please figure out what kind of chair would be best for her.”


Nodding Spike pushes himself and Buffy off of Angel’s car and goes over to the chair that he feels would be best for Buffy. He places her in it and bends down in front of her to do up the lap belt, the he notices one at the chest area and goes to do that one as well.


Seeing Spike is going to do up all the belts the doctor bends down beside Spike and says. “It can be done up behind the chair for now, I also picked this chair because I know how much you like to hold her, it will be easier for you to do it without the sides. She also might start leaning to the side because of no sides on the chair and then you can use the straps at the top.”


“Quietly Spike says. “Thank you.”


“She won’t be in it long, and if you give her a good rub down morning and night, it would help her muscles as well.” He tells Spike as he hands him some massage lotion.


Again Spike finds himself thanking the doctor. “Thank you.”


“Now I understand you have a ride to the hospital tonight, and if you have no more questions, I will leave you to getting some lunch and see you this evening.” The doctor tells him as he stands up.


Also standing back up from where he was bending down in front of Buffy to address the doctors. “No, I am sure we will be fine.”


Addressing Spike before the others he says.” I’m sure you will be fine too, I hope to see you all have a lovely day and will see you all tonight.” Then he turns to Dr. Calton and speaks to him “Shall we take our leave?” Then he walks to the van and gets in while waiting for Dr. Calton to do so as well.


As they drive off they start to discuss their most unusual patient and her family.


_____________________________________________________________________________________



Once the doctors are gone, Buffy asks Spike to do one things, as she has been in his arms for so long. “Out” She says quietly.


Trying not to let her pain hurt him to much he leans back down to her. “Sorry luv, but the doctor is right you need to be in there too.” Seeing Buffy start to tear up, he does as well. “Be strong luv, I am doing this for you, because I love you so much.” Then he kisses her with tears freely running down his face.


After he pulls back from the kiss, Buffy states “Love you, chocolate.”


Giving a quick chuckle, Spike tells her. “I am sure one of the Watchers will go and get you some chocolate ice cream or something after lunch.”


“Speaking of lunch, why don’t we go back into the hotel and I will have Cordelia do a lunch run.” Angel suggests as he starts to make his way to the elevator.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


Once in the lobby, Angel takes everyone lunch order and hands the order and money to Cordelia, to go and pick up every ones lunch and some chocolate for Buffy.”


_____________________________________________________________________________________


Once Cordelia has returned with everyone’s sandwiches and salads, they all sit down at the table and pass around everyone’s sandwiches till they get to the right person.


Angel puts some chocolate pudding in front of Buffy and Spike.


Seeing the size of the sandwich, Spike questions. “Are you sure you can eat that?”


“Yes now feed it to me.” She says in a demanding tone.


“There is no need to be bossy; we will start with small pieces.” He informs her as he starts to break off small pieces of the sandwich.


After alternating between chocolate milk and the sandwich, Buffy closes her mouth when it is half done. By doing this she lets Spike know that she is finished eating and he starts to pack it up. As he is packing it up he hears, “pudding now Spike.”


“Alright luv,” he tells her as he stops packing the sandwich up and picks up the pudding to feed her. “Your wish is my command.” He says as he takes the lid off and starts to feed it to her.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


Later that day at the hospital in LA.


Spike carries Buffy into the hospital and meets the doctors waiting for them; Giles, Joyce and Angel follow behind him.


“I see you are carrying her again.” The Doctor points out.


“Sorry, Doc couldn’t fit the chair in the car.”


“That is fine, Spike just remember what I told you.” He informs him as he leads them to the x-ray waiting room. Gesturing to the chairs he addresses the rest of the group, “Could you 3 wait here please.” Then he turns to Spike. “Please follow me.”


Spike nods and follows the Doctor. “This is Clark, Spike he will be taking Buffy’s x-rays.” Dr. Calton says as he talks Spike.


“Would you please follow me, Spike.” Clark asks as he starts walking off to an x-ray room.


Following Clark he is lead to and x-ray room where he is told where and how to position Buffy on the table.


After he does what Clark asks he hears, “Would you come in here with me please, Sir?”


“Why?” was all Spike could say.


Informing Spike “I need you away from her for a couple minutes to take the x-ray, the only protective gear I have I need to put on her.”


Knowing it was best to follow Clark, Spike decided arguing with his demon could be done later.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


10 minutes later, Clark was leading Spike and Buffy out to wait with their friends and family. “You will have to wait for a few minutes until the Doctors come back and look at the x-ray.” Then he turns to leave.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


15 minutes after Clark brought Spike and Buffy out to the waiting room both Doctors come back one of them, carrying an envelope. “If all of you would like to come into the consultation room, we can get started.” Dr. Goodman suggest to the group.


Dr. Goodman starts. “When you brought her into the hospital 2 weeks ago, in Sunnydale we did and extensive examination on her. One of the things that we noticed was her neck; it had really bad tazor marks on it. When we x-rayed it we were unable to determine how bad it actually was.” He then takes out the x-ray taken today and tells them what he is seeing. “Here and here are from the tazor, now that the swelling has gone down some it shows a couple spiral cracks in the bone.”


They all let what the doctor said sink in for a couple of minutes.


Dr. Calton picks up from where the other doctor left off. “We feel it would be best for her to receive weekly x-rays, so we can monitor the situation.”


“That is fine, so when do we book the next appointment.” Giles asks.


“Actually I have already booked the appointment for the same time next Wednesday. I hope that is alright.” Dr. Calton explains.


Speaking for the first time, Angel tells him. “That is fine, I can pretty much get them anywhere during the day.”

“Well if you don’t mind me leaving you, I need to be getting back to Sunnydale.” Dr. Goodman tells the group.


“Yes, I quite understand, we should be getting back as well.” Giles informs the group as he starts to stand.
“It was a pleasure to meet you.” He says before ushering everyone out of the room.