Author's Chapter Notes:
AN: I am not sure of Faith’s last name, but a lot of Authors write it as Lehane, so I am borrowing it if that is not her last name. I hope no one minds. Thanks for all your reviews, and to spikes mrs for editting this again I don't own them just like to play with them.
Mate’s Pain



Chapter 22


*****Wednesday night, inside the Initiative. *****


I am not really sure, if it is such a good idea that you go there.” Maggie Walsh says to Riley when she goes to see him in a conference room in the underground chambers of the Initiative.


Pleading with her, he says, “I’ll stay with Graham and Forrest the whole time.”


Trying to make things easier on his friend, Graham added, “Besides, Buffy’s friends never show up on a Wednesday. I have been watching for a month now.”


“You know I won’t allow anything to happen to him, and we all know that no one has been able to find anything out about Buffy since we determined it was not her in the hospital.” Forrest tells Maggie.


“Yes, have we actually determined yet, who exactly that person is, yet?” Maggie asked as she took interest in the person Forrest was talking about.


“We believe that it is a Faith Lehane, she has been in a coma since the middle to end of last April.” Forrest tells her.


Concerned, Riley asks “So where is Buffy, then?”


Grinning Maggie answers him, “We are still actually trying to determine that, we have noticed that her mother and friends all left Sunnydale, sometime Friday and came back Sunday night or Monday morning.”


“And we haven’t attached a GPS to any of their vehicles yet?” Riley asked.


“We are intending to follow them on Friday. One Agent will follow her mother and another Agent will follow her friends.” Maggie informs the group.


Surprised to be hearing about this Faith person, Riley asks, “What are we doing about this Faith person?”


“Monitoring her, hoping that she will wake up soon and we will be able to persuade her to join out team.” Maggie tells him.


“How long till she wakes up?” Riley then asked.


Wanting to change the subject Maggie tells him, “Hopefully no longer than 2 months, now go and enjoy your night and don’t get into any trouble.” Then she turns and walks out of the room, turning to head back to her office.


Slapping Riley on the back, Graham asks him, “So you’re a free man tonight Riley, how does it feel?”


Smiling he says, “Great, now let’s go and get ready.” Then they all leave the room and start to head upstairs.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


At the Summer’s house, Buffy and Spike are watching TV, when he asks her out of the blue, “So what is on that mind of yours?”


“As if you don’t know,” She suggests that he has already looked for himself.


Clearly he states, “You know I don’t like probing your mind, I respect your privacy.”


Grinning she says, “Yeah right.”


Defending himself, he says “Well I do, most of the time, so you going to tell me or do I have to find out for myself?”


“I am just excited, I guess about going out tonight, but then I am also worried that something will happen. Demons always seem to find me, when I am trying to take the night off, you should know that it is how we met after all.”


With a chuckle he says, “Yeah I know, but you won’t have to worry because we are taking my car, so there will be no walking. And once we get there, you will be with me and the rest of your mates, which I happen to know for a fact, would do anything to keep you safe.”


“I know” she says quietly as she rests her head back on Spike.


“Hey what is that about?” He asks as he turns her to face him, again.


“It nothing, I just worry about them, but if it wasn’t for me they would not have known the danger, or have to deal with risking their lives everyday.”


“Okay, I am going to say something and you might not like it, but I think you need to hear it. You being the Slayer has prolonged their lives, Xander’s friend Jessie got turned your first night in Sunnydale, and do you really think he would have been safe if you were not here?” Spike asked her.


“No, Darla lured him to her; she still would have killed him anyways.” She tells him quietly.


“And if they would not have learned about Vampire’s, what do you think would have happened to them if they didn’t know about Vampire’s and demons, after their friend was turned?”


Quietly she tells him, “They would be dead, or at least Xander would be.”


“Let’s not look at what Vampire’s go for, Red would have been and easy kill.” With a chuckle he continues, “Hell, she would have been when I came to Sunnydale, if she wasn’t listed as the Slayers friends.”


Confused Buffy asks, “What are you talking about?”


“I was told when I came to goode olde Sunnyhell, that the Slayer was strong, she killed the Master and she had friends that were hands off, if we didn’t want the wrath of the Slayer.”


“But you never went after them.” Buffy clearly stated.


“Nope I would rather take it up with the Slayer herself, than her mates. Spike says patting her thigh that was against his leg, before asking “What do you say we start getting ready to go out?”


“Take me upstairs, Vampire.”


“I’ll Vampire you, Slayer,” He tells her as he picks her up and carries her upstairs with him. He takes her into the bathroom and sits her on the closed toilet seat, while he turns to the tub and starts to run water in it. “It will have to be a quick bath tonight, are we doing your hair again?”


“No just wet my hair, I would like to wear it down.”


_____________________________________________________________________________________


1.5 hours later they are entering the Bronze and join their group of friends and Willow’s new love interest Tara at their usual couch, back by the stairs.


Getting up from his spot, Xander asks “Why don’t I just go and get the first round of drinks?”

An hour later after they had gotten a second round of drink, Spike feels Buffy start to tense up on his lap. So he asks “What is it, luv?” Then he starts to kiss his claim mark lightly to try and calm her down some.


“Riley” was all she said to him, before she heard Spike growl, while looking over at the table his eyes have landed on.


Hissing at him, she says, “Stop it we don’t want to draw attention to us.”


Looking back at her, he says, “Your right, sorry luv.”


_____________________________________________________________________________________


*****At Riley’s table*****


Just as Buffy and Spike notice Riley, Graham notices Buffy and her friends. “Well I guess Buffy is back from hiding.” He then tells the people that are with him.


“And just what do you mean by that?” Riley asks with a hint of anger in his voice.


“Well she is right over there, with her friends and a man I’ve never seen before.” Graham tells them as he points in the direction of Buffy and her friends.


Riley follows his finger, to see where Buffy is with her friends. “What would most likely be her Mate, my guess he is Hostile 17, and you have seen him before, he was there when her rescue party came. Professor Walsh knows about her Mate and wants us to see where this will go.”


“Guess we will have to keep an eye on them and let the Professor know in the morning.” Forrest says speaking for the first time since they have noticed Buffy.


“I don’t think they will do anything in public,” Forrest tells them before he adds, “And we won’t either unless it is in self defence.”


_____________________________________________________________________________________


Back at Buffy couch she is on with Spike and her friends.


While Riley and his friends are having their conversation about Buffy and her friends, Buffy and her friends are talking about Riley and his buddies.


“So what is wrong, with Wonder Fang?” Xander asks when he hears Spike’s growl.


“Riley is here.” Buffy simply states to everyone.


Bursting with anger, Xander says, “What shouldn’t he be locked up, somewhere.”


Shyly, Willow says, “It seems like the Initiative has been keeping him hidden.”


“Most likely trying to find a way to make him look innocent.” Spike suggest with a snort.


“Wouldn’t the police need to talk to me, in order to put him away?” Buffy asks.


“The Doc had more than enough information, when you were in the hospital, as well as your Watcher to them about his confession on why he did it.”


Looking at where Riley is quickly she says, “As long as he leaves us alone, I don’t really care what happens to him.”


“Are you crazy Buffy? He needs help.” Xander says with anger.


“And I am sure the Military is giving him that help,” She states before she said, “Now let’s enjoy out night.”


“I say yay to that.” Xander says.


“Absolutely” Willow adds.


“Great now, who wants to dance, because I want someone to dance with.” Buffy asks all her friends.


“Not to burst your bubble but, how do you plan on dancing, when you can’t move?” Spike asked her.


“I don’t care I want to dance.” Buffy said with a pout.


“Come on, then Buffy, Tara lets go dance.” Willow says getting up to take Buffy wheelchair.


Spike lifts Buffy off of him, and straps her back into the wheelchair, “Have fun luv,” He tells her once he is finished.


“I will,” She says as Willow starts to push her way.


“Me too,” Anya says getting up to join them, looking back at Xander she says, “Girls are dancing, men can do, well men can do what men do.” She then runs off to join the others on the dance floor.


“So how do you want to do this, Buffy?” Tara asks.


“Take my arms, and move me, in a dancing motion.”


Both Willow and Tara take and arm, while Anya moves the chair she is in back and forth.


After a few minutes, Buffy starts to laugh, “This is great thanks guys.”


“You know we would do anything for you.” Willow tells her.


Before Buffy could reply, the song ended and a slow song came on. Spike walked up to join Buffy on the dance floor and Xander joined Anya, Willow and Tara started to dance together. Once Spike gets to Buffy he undoes her straps and lifts her up to him, to start dancing with her.