Author's Chapter Notes:
Please read AN: at end of chapter. It is sad to say that there is only on chapter left after this. Thanks to spikes mrs for editting this and for all the reveiws. I have also openned my account back up so anyone can review. I don't own them just like to play with them.
Mate’s Pain


Chapter 24


1.5 months after Buffy and Spike buy the house


1.5 months later, Spike is walking into the Magic Box after Buffy’s Doctors appointment.


“So what did the Doctor say?” Willow asks when she sees her friend come into the shop.


“Again I surprised him with how well I am doing, he told me if I keep it up I should be walking within about a months time.” Buffy tells them all with a bright smile on her face, as her and Spike join them all at the table.


A round of “That’s great Buffy” sounded through the room.


“Thanks guys, I can’t wait to start patrolling again. It has been so long,” Buffy tells them.


“Yeah but, we get rid of that energy someway, don’t we?” Spike says with a raise eyebrow just before Buffy punches him in the arm.


“Ow! Slayer, you really know how to pack a punch.” Spike exclaims as he rubs his arm.


“Maybe, but you love me anyways.” She says as she locks her brakes and undoes her seatbelt, then moves her hands over to Spike’s legs and pushes herself up into Spike’s lap.


Spike then moves Buffy on his lap until he has her in a comfortable position for both of them.


“Buffy I didn’t realize you have gotten strong enough to lift yourself that high. Giles says to her, after he watched her get settled on Spike‘s lap.


“Not much I can’t do now.” She states.


“Lots of stuff I wish you would not do.” Spike tells her; concerned for everything he has caught her doing.


“I would think you want her to be selfish ant.” Giles inquires to Spike.


“Not when it can harm her,” Spike tells him while he also shows his concern to Buffy about the issue; with using the bond they share as well as letting her hear it in his voice.


“I’m sorry; I didn’t realize you saw it like that.” She informs him after he has shown her through the bond they share.


“Thank you, that is all that I ask,” he says as he gives her a quick kiss, before turning to the rest of the group. “So what is on the agenda for tonight?”


With disgust in his voice, Xander says, “Ethan Rayne.”


“Don’t think I know a Bloke named that.” Spike says as he tries to recall the name.


Willow starts with, “People turning into their, Halloween costumes.”


Then Xander adds, “Putting a tattoo on Buffy’s neck to have the demon go after her and not him.”


Buffy continues showing Spike through their link of what happen with Joyce and Giles as well as saying it, “Band candy, turning adults into teenagers.”


Thinking of what he just saw, Spike quickly says “Right then we don’t want that happening again, now do we?”


“So do we know why Ethan is in Sunnydale?” Buffy asks.


“He wants to meet with me, says he knows something about the Initiative, and the Slayer.” Giles tells everyone.


At the mention of Buffy, Spike lets out a growl, so Buffy pats his arm and says “Hush down, Honey.”


Giles then says, “To be quite honest I actually feel the same way as Spike but we don’t know what it is about Buffy.” Giles then points out.


“Your not going to meet him, are you Giles?” Willow asks with concern.


“Actually we are all going to meet him; I believe it would be better to have him meet us on our terms, so I am having him come tomorrow night.” Giles explains to everyone.


“You’re having someone like him come in to the shop?” Anya tries to ask calmly.


Getting up to comfort his girlfriend, Xander says “An, I am sure Giles knows what he is doing.”


“Yes quite right, I am casting a spell tonight that I should have done, when I bought the shop. No magic is going to be allowed in the front section of the shop.” Giles explains to the group.


“But what about us?” Willow questions, but before Giles can answer her, Tara pipes in and says “That is a very good idea, Mr. Giles.”


“Why thank you Tara, now Ethan will be here at 9:30 tomorrow night, so I suggest that everyone be well rested for when he comes.” Giles says in a suggestion to the group.


“So we have no research to do, movie night or should we Bronze it?” Xander asks.


Buffy looks at Spike, clearly letting him see what she wants, so he answers. “Get the munchies and the movie and met us at the house in an hour.”


Xander, Anya, Willow and Tara all get up to leave the shop, as they leave there is a round of “Goodnight Giles,” as they head to the door.


_____________________________________________________________________________________


The next night, at the Magic Box.


“So what exactly is going to happen?” Xander asks as he sits down at the table.


“Hopefully he is going to be willing, to tell us what is going on; after all he did come to us.” Giles replies to Xander.


“That is the thing I don’t understand, Ethan has always been bad, whenever he has been in Sunnydale. Why would we want to trust him now?” Buffy asks from her spot next to Spike.


“Who said we were, trusting him?” Giles asks before continuing, “I will listen then we will research what he said.”


“Why Ripper, I should be appalled that you have lack of trust in me.” Ethan says from where he is standing just inside the door to the shop.


With a growl that could out do Spike, Giles says “Have a seat Ethan.”


Ethan then moves to the table and takes one of the empty seats, as he looks around he notices a few things before his eyes land on Buffy and says, “Why I see the rumours are true, that the Eternal walks among us.”


Pulling Buffy onto his lap, Spike asks before ending in a growl, “What is that suppose to mean?”


“Oh the Eternal’s Mate, no less William the Bloody. How fitting that you would Mate with a Slayer, whose power has yet be determined.”


“Let me worry about my Slayer, and tell me why you’re asking to meet with me.” Giles says from his seat beside Spike, where Buffy was sitting earlier.


“There is and unbalance in the underworld, when I looked into it, they were not crossing over because of some group called the Initiative. The Hellmouth, the demons don’t want to be used for the secret project 314. Just with in the last couple of months the project has been put on hold and a new project is now in the works.” Ethan explains to them.


“What would this new project be? Ethan” Giles asks.


“It seems they believed that Slayers were a myth, but we know they are not, before the Eternal got injured, the head person, had already ordered someone to capture her. I guess you retrieved her in time.” Ethan tells them


Spike let out a growl and everyone that could reach him, reached over to touch him to help calm him down, as well as Buffy mentally talking to him, and then she registered something that Ethan had said, “You knew I was hurt?”


“Yes, when someone heard the rumours of the Eternal, they intergraded themselves into your world, they have been doing my research and it what brought me here today.” Ethan answered her.


“Why would they want to come here? Would they not want to fear Buffy?” Willow asks.


“Because like a Vampire has minions and Eternal once they reach their full power can have followers, in the underworld when she goes down there to visit.” Ethan explains to Willow.


“Again, could we leave the business of my Slayer, and you continue to tell me why you are here.” Giles grits out angrily.


“It would seem that some demons that can shape shift put themselves to work in the Initiative, and recently they have found out that a Mrs. Maggie Walsh that runs the whole operation has been giving the other Slayer drugs to wake her up.”


“What would they want, with Faith?” Buffy asks.


“She figures that a Slayer would make a great Soldier and wants to make and army like the Slayer.”


“Can she do that?” Willow asks.


“Not if you get to her first, which shouldn’t be much of a problem, and then after the underworld hears that the rumours of the Eternal are not rumours, you will have more demons to help you than her entire organization. Now I suggest you read this and if you have any questions contact me.” Ethan tells Giles as he hands him a package and leave the shop.


“That was wow.” Xander says.


“Yes, quite indeed.” Giles says getting up and retreating to his office.


AN: I know this is out of character for Ethan but he did come to Giles in season 4 about 314 and the fact that it was on Giles turf with a no magic no turning Giles into a demon. Also I was thinking back to what happened with Willow in season 6, and the ruining of the shop after Tara died..

smlcspike