Chapter 26

“This may have repercussions if Angel’s demon is indeed suffering from questionable sanity.” Giles’ quietly worded statement has a serious dampening effect on the laughter had that had enveloped the room.

The silence was heavy as each individual considered Giles’ remark. Younger Spike hated the idea of drawing attention back to himself, but he desperately needed a few moments alone to consider his options and maybe put on some more clothes. If he was honest with himself, he felt decidedly uncomfortable wearing nothing but a robe in front of the other two Summers women. Bloody ponce had really done a number on his head. “Er, hate to break up the thoughtful ponderings on the mentally challenged, but can I get somethin’ a bit less exposing to wear? I don’t really care to be showing off m’ manly bits to the kiddies.”

The momentarily blank faces that changed to flustered embarrassment brought forth a quiet chuckle from the seated vampire. Buffy was the first to give any indication that she was still capable of functioning after the bizarre events that the evening had produced. Motioning to her Spike to perform escort duty, she watched as the two look-alikes moved towards the bathroom, her Spike grabbing the bag of clothes he’d removed from the factory on his way.

Not willing to begin the discussion on the ritual without her Spike in the room, Buffy focused on her mother. There were other matters of importance to be addressed. “How are the plans going for the auction, mom?”

Joyce was relieved at the change of subject. She had been feeling terribly guilty about her part in the ‘tree incident’. She hated to think that she would be responsible for any adverse effects on the mental welfare of another being, even if that individual happened to be a cursed vampire that was stalking her daughter. She didn’t mind that he had been physically hurt; that was his own fault. He shouldn’t have been lurking outside her sixteen year old daughter’s bedroom window in the first place. But the idea that her actions could push the unstable vampire over the edge was causing her to feel more than a little self-condemnation.

“We’ve set it up for next Saturday, sweetheart,” Joyce told her. “There have already been a number of advanced bids on most of the items. I’m confident that you’ll do very well indeed.” Joyce gave a satisfied little smile to her daughter. She was really good at her job and was actually overjoyed at the response that they’d so far received for the treasure. She had every intention of ensuring that the two blondes became very rich indeed. Her own commission looked to be a staggering amount.

~*~*~

“Quit lookin’ at me like that, you git!” Spike growled at his older counterpart. “You know bloody well I’ve been stuck in your head for nearly a week. I’m not tryin’ anything shady. I just want to know…” His voice trailed off as he quickly looked away. He blinked rapidly in an effort to regain control of his emotions, but not before his more experienced double had spied the moisture in his eyes.

Gently, the senior blond vampire encouraged his younger self. “What do you want to know, mate?”

“Does it get better? Will this one love us?” the quietly whispered words were filled with anguish.

~*~*~

Buffy was curious as to the cause of the sombre expressions on the faces of the two Spikes as they re-entered the living room. Okay, that was going to get real old real soon. “Does one of you mind if I call you William? The two Spikes thing is gonna drive me crazy.”

“Fine with me, luv,” her Spike shrugged nonchalantly as he voiced his agreement. It was his name, after all.

As both Spikes were now dressed in black jeans and t-shirts, anyone who didn’t know them would be hard pressed to tell them apart, but Buffy seemed to know on some instinctual level which one was hers. Pointing to the new Spike, she firmly told him to place himself back on the chair he had first occupied. Leaving William to, once again, stand sentry.

Turning her attention to the only individual in the room that seemed to have the slightest clue as to what was going on, Buffy asked Wolfie to explain the ritual and all that had subsequently happened because of it.

~*~*~

As Angel desperately tried to get comfortable, he replayed the events of the ‘incident’ over again in his mind. Try as he might he was at a loss to come up with any explanation except that Buffy obviously had someone that was an enemy and they knew where she lived. Okay so the garlic might have been targeted at him specifically, but he was fairly certain that that was only because he was Buffy’s protector. It made him suspect that the perpetrator of the crime was someone they both knew. Someone wanted to separate him from his Buffy. Now, why did that make him automatically think of the watcher?

~*~*~

“When…er, William, performed the ritual, Gaia granted his petition. But you must understand that it was William’s demon that asked to be returned to his original form and not Spike’s.” Wolfie began his explanation, trying to impress upon them all the importance of this distinction. “In order for Gaia to accede to William’s request, Spike had to be removed.”

“Then shouldn’t I be dust? Not worthy and all that,” Spike asked curiously. Not that he wanted to be dust, but a bloke had to ask the obvious.

“You had already decided to follow the path that William had shown you while you were still inside him, Spike. Gaia knew that,” the giant informed the inquisitive vampire.

“Huh? Wait…but he’s evil,” Buffy automatically responded. She might be trusting of William, but Spike was an entirely different matter.

“Buffy,” Giles gently addressed the confused girl. “Look at him. The glow of humanity is almost as strong in Spike as it is in William.”

“What, so now I’m just supposed to trust him, too?” the flabbergasted slayer questioned.

“You could at least gimme a chance, Slayer,” Spike grumbled dejectedly.

Buffy was floundering. She had no idea how to handle this situation. She didn’t understand why everyone was looking at her like they were disappointed in her. She was seriously getting frustrated. Didn’t these people understand that she was the Slayer? She needed her black and white world to stay black and white; she wasn’t equipped to deal with shades of grey; not yet anyway. It was too much too soon. Everything was changing and she didn’t have the slightest clue how to cope with it.

Casting a quick but apologetic look at his counterpart, William pulled the confused girl into his arms. “It’s alright, pet. Take your time. Nobody’s sayin’ you have to deal with everything right now. We’ll suss it out when you’re ready.”

Everyone in the room heard the threat in the protective blonde’s voice. Not one of them was left in any doubt as to the seriousness with which William spoke or his underlying message. Buffy was not to be pushed.

Buffy relaxed as the feeling of being overwhelmed by her confused emotions receded within the strong arms of her protector. She felt herself slowly calming, his embrace soothing her shattered nerves. She felt safe. She felt like she was finally home. Maybe it was time to admit that she was.