Chapter Twenty-One

“Miss Rosenberg, I haven’t the faintest idea what you’re talking about.”

Professor Walsh stared imperiously down her nose at the over-confident student on the other side of her desk and held her breath. Startling accuracies about her secret work had already tumbled from the redhead’s lips and she was trying hard to tamp down the impulse to panic.

“Yes, you do. I know all about the Initiative—where it is, and what you’re doing down there. I know that you’re collecting demons—though I admit I don’t know why. And I know that you can’t resist the opportunity to find out if the legend of the Vampire Slayer is real. It is, by the way. And I can hand her to you.”

Maggie sat back in her chair and thought fast. There was obviously little point continuing along the standard denial route. This student had always shown she had quite an aptitude for research work and now it was apparent she wasn’t above some kind of manipulation to find out whatever she needed to know. Still, there was one motivating reason to listen to what the girl had to say, because she was right. Maggie already found it impossible to dismiss the lure of an actual slayer. That such a girl was real…

“What do you want?” There was no point hoping the redhead didn’t want something, because so far the interview had had a definite switch of power to it. Maggie’s eagerness to hear more of the legend-that-was-apparently-a-reality won out over her natural desire for a winning cover-up.

“I want to be part of the Initiative,” Willow stated with calm and cold determination.

Maggie laughed, completely surprised but highly amused.

“What could you possibly offer this project?” she jeered and then gasped in shock as Willow’s eyes definitely flashed black.

“I am offering you the Slayer on a silver platter. Find a place for me in your operation—I’m good with science,” Willow suggested threateningly. She relished the shiver she inspired in the older woman. She knew that Maggie was very powerful in her own right, and now Willow was easily diminishing her control.

For Maggie, the urge to refuse was strong, and yet a carrot dangled provocatively in front of her face and she found it impossible in the end to resist.

“Alright,” she conceded through tight lips. “I’ll create a position for you, but I will expect you to contribute equally to this project. We’re on a tight schedule.”

Infused with success, Willow smiled confidently, not holding back the menacing evidence of her strength. It would do Maggie good to know she wouldn’t be made a fool of—or tricked. Professor Walsh had always impressed her as a teacher. As an evil genius she definitely lacked the stamina.

“Don’t bother trying to bury me in the mundane side of your operation. I want top clearance or there’s no deal.” Her expression was icy as she held the professor’s furious stare. Maggie dropped her eyes first, cleared her throat and then stood abruptly.

“How do you know about the Slayer?” As far as Maggie knew, the Slayer was supposed to work alone—her identity had been kept secret for hundreds if not thousands of years. How a girl like Willow Rosenberg could know the truth was startling. And with that knowledge, she refused to be taken for a fool because a deranged student thought she could hijack Maggie’s life’s work.

“I live on the Hellmouth, Professor. You’d be surprised at the things I’ve seen.”

The smug confidence of the redhead was screaming at Maggie to kick the girl out of her office and never look back, but there was also that niggling curiosity that there were secrets to this place she’d chosen for her research that a resident hadn’t hidden their eyes from.

“How do you expect to explain this to Riley, or does he know about this slayer as well?” Betrayal swum rapidly to her heart and Maggie felt the blood rush to her head. She’d considered Riley Finn to be like a son—one she’d never intended to have but was grateful to be blessed with. He was everything a woman like her could want in a child—subservient, unquestioning in upholding his duty, and lacking all the curiosity many of his fellow soldiers didn’t.

Before the redhead could reply, there was a sharp double knock on her door and then it burst open, admitting the focus of their conversation, irritation ticking at his jaw. Both women stared, surprised at his unaccustomed behaviour.

“Professor,” he addressed respectfully. “There’s something I need to tell you.” He sidestepped, aware of the student in consultation with his boss but not at first registering who it was. “Willow?” There was tempered affection in his voice but then a frown settled across his face. “Everything okay?”

That was so like Riley, Willow thought, smiling her own greeting. Showing concern even when there were obviously bigger issues at stake.

“Professor Walsh was just offering me a job—as a scientist in her lab downstairs. I accepted,” she giggled before throwing herself into his arms, squeezing tightly and smirking into the collar of his shirt. “She’s just been filling me in on how everything works,” she admitted next, taking sadistic pleasure in the uncomfortable flush of the professor’s cheeks and Riley’s jaw-dropping reaction.

“That’s um…whoa! Welcome aboard,” he greeted enthusiastically, enveloping Willow in a bear hug so sincere that a tiny flash of guilt rippled through her nervous system. “We’ll have to celebrate properly tonight,” he apologised, regret flavouring the air.

“That would be perfect,” she agreed, and found herself strangely looking forward to it and more time with Riley. “Anyway, you better tell us what’s happened. You know, time is money and all.”

The soldier looked uncertainly at his boss. As much as he loved Willow he knew better than to reveal top secret information in front of a civilian—even if they had been newly employed in the labs.

Willow swept her gaze over the professor and felt anger taint her blood. Her irises enlarged and turned inky, a clear warning to the academic that she’d better give Riley the go ahead toward revelation or there could be unexpected consequences.

The professor nodded imperceptibly to Riley and thought hard on the slayer information she’d be rewarded with. “Yes, Riley. What is it?”

He snapped back to attention, a soldier in civvies all the way as he gave his unfavourable report. “There’s been an escape, Ma’am. Hostile 17 tricked the guards and he’s made it out.”

Willow’s brow perked in curiosity. “Who is Hostile 17?” Before his lips parted in explanation she felt a sudden moment of premonition. It wasn’t totally surprising to hear of demon captures and she knew enough to expect that the ones that passed their initial examination and were implanted were awarded with an official number in order for tracking. She was kind of surprised at the low number, however, considering how long the Initiative had been in place. Seventeen implied that the success of the experiment so far wasn’t as high as she’d have liked.

“A vampire we tagged two nights ago. Bleached hair, leather coat—it’s amazing how these things cling to their past,” the commando joked with a shake of his head.

Riley had no idea, Willow thought vindictively. Relief was flushing away that prickle of guilt from earlier and she was able to finally feel confident that her plan to obliterate Buffy and her new support group was completely up and running.

“Well, we can’t have that.” With a frosty stare at her new boss and a warm smile for her boyfriend, Willow headed to the door, opened it and peered back over her shoulder, for all appearances the sudden leader of the group. “Let’s go get him back, shall we?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Liz had walked for hours. She’d walked for so long her leg muscles were aching. And yet, she was still no closer to knowing how she should feel. No closer to reconciling Will as the man she’d been confiding in for the past year.

He knew all her secrets. Knew every detail of every single horror that had been her life since she’d been Called and every second she’d unloaded her heart to him she’d been grateful. For his presence and for his care, because that had shone through bright and clear. Her faceless, nameless friend had hurt for every one of her pains and he’d done his best to give her confidence and support through an invisible link.

She could understand now why he’d never wanted to share his name with her. Or why he’d not come to her earlier. Her initial reaction to his presence—despite the example of his reformed nature—had been far less than welcoming. Or accepting. Even after Buffy’s lecture she could feel her heart melting a little bit, but there was still quite a tall wall to climb before she could completely change her mindset from Spike evil/Spike bad to ‘maybe Will’s not so evil after all.’

Why did she always get handed the hard stuff to work through?

With a sigh, Liz turned back to Revello Drive. The only thing she knew for certain was that she missed him. When he was on the other side of her talisman he was the most important person in her life and losing the innocence of that was many shades more painful than the discovery of his real identity.

But the Powers had sanctified this relationship.

It was a fact that Liz was still trying to wrap her head around. What had they been trying to prove by giving a vampire permission to delve into the depths of her psyche? Since when was it a good thing for a slayer to bond with a notoriously evil and powerful master vampire? Did they not work for the side of good anymore?

Or had Will switched sides right under her nose?

The thought stopped her dead in her tracks. He’d come to her rescue the second she’d revealed how scared she was of Willow—he’d plotted with the witch so far as it worked in order to get her back, even if he had retrieved the wrong Buffy. He’d managed to knock Willow out and had tied the witch up before she could blink at how fast things were happening, and though she didn’t realise it at the time, Liz now recognised that he’d done it all for her. Did it all to protect her.

For all intents and purposes, he was still the Spike she’d known the previous year—in looks at least. She didn’t know if he was out killing, though there didn’t appear to be any escalation in vamp-attributed deaths recently. She didn’t know if he was cooking up some scheme or if he’d come to Sunnydale with some plan other than to fulfil a promise. If she put faith in her talisman friend rather than picturing Will in his place, she couldn’t deny that his presence was reassuring and infused her with a warmth she’d not felt in such a long time. She’d been frozen for too long, just waiting for the final curtain to fall and Willow’s last bid for power. When she put it in that perspective, there was only one thing left to feel. Gratitude.

Was her affection for her secret friend now displaced then?

Before Will had been unveiled as her confidante she’d considered him to be so much more than just a friend. The potential beginning to blossom between them had changed her view on everything and now Liz realised that she had to make a very important decision. Did knowing who she’d been falling for make a difference to her ability to fall fully? Or did the nature of who and what Will was make it impossible for her to resume their relationship on any level?

Liz reached her house and slowly climbed the porch steps. Her mind and heart were so torn on this issue that she wasn’t sure she could even reach an answer. Hand resting on the front door, her heart filled with dread, the only thing she knew for certain was that she had to find him.

She had to rescue him and maybe then, she’d know.