Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you, all of you who's been kind enough to review, it means the world for an author! :)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


”Spike? You here? I let myself in, hope you don’t mind!” Buffy waited just inside the door for a moment, then, when Spike didn’t answer, she did a quick sweep through the apartment. She was a little disappointed to find out that he obviously wasn’t home, and let out a sigh. She hadn’t seen Spike all day, and now she missed him like crazy. She realized the irony of the fact that she almost missed him more now, after one single day, than she had for those two whole years when they’d been apart.

At first, after he’d told her those things about Drusilla, two nights ago, things had been a little tense between them. But yesterday they’d spent all day together, and things had been just great. Buffy smiled happily as she recalled last night. First they’d gone to see a movie, and then Spike had taken her out for dinner. It had all been very romantic. Then he’d taken her home to her place, and they’d ended the night with a long kiss outside her door. Before Spike had left last night, he’d given her the spare key to his apartment, telling her that she was welcome to drop by any time.

And today, after spending all day looking for a new job, Buffy had decided to take him up on it. But of course, when she’d gotten there, Spike wasn’t home. She pouted a little, then rolled her eyes at herself for doing such a childish thing when, clearly, there was no one around to see. Spike hadn’t mentioned anything about going somewhere today, but then on the other hand, he didn’t have to call her and let her know every time he left the apartment.

Buffy looked at her watch, and realized it was only four in the afternoon. Maybe Spike had just gotten together with some of his friends, and would be back soon. What if she would surprise him, and have dinner ready when he got back? She knew that she could never be called a master chef, but at least she knew her way somewhat around the kitchen. She could make pasta, that would be almost impossible to screw up. And even if she did, she could always call for pizza. With her mind made up, she headed for the kitchen, just as there was a knock on the door.

She frowned, wondering who it could be, as she turned around and went to open. A smile appeared on her face when she saw who it was. “Mr Giles. Nice to see you again.”

Giles face lit up when he saw her. “Hello again, Buffy. I didn’t know you were here, I’m sorry if I’m interrupting something.”

Buffy shook her head, gesturing for him to come in. “Of course not, come on in.” Giles gave her a grateful smile, and entered the apartment. As Buffy closed the door behind him, she remembered the awkward conversation between Spike and Giles the other day, and hesitated. Maybe Spike wouldn’t want her to let Giles in to his apartment. Then she dismissed that thought. Giles was his father after all, whatever differences they’d been having in the past, they were still family.

For as long as she had known Spike, he’d never talked much about his father. Whenever she’d asked him about it, he’d just told her that they didn’t get along, and quickly changed the subject. Buffy knew that it had started after his mother had passed away, Spike had told her that much, but she didn’t know more than that. Which she sometimes had found strange, since she and Spike had been able to talk about almost everything in the past. But there had always been certain things that they didn’t talk about, his father being one of them, and Buffy had reluctantly accepted that fact.

“I guess you’re here to see Spike. I’m sorry, but he’s not here right now.”

Giles looked a little disappointed. “I see. I don’t suppose you know when he’ll be back?”

Buffy gave him an apologetic smile. “I don’t, sorry. But I’m sure he’ll be back soon. Why don’t you sit down and wait for him, and I’ll make us some tea.” She frowned. “Except that Spike doesn’t drink tea so he probably won’t have any. Right. How ‘bout some coffee?”

Looking around the room a little nervously, Giles shook his head. “Thank you, dear, but I should probably go. You could you do me a favor, though, and let William know I was here. Tell him I’m staying at the Sunnydale Inn until Friday, if he’s interested in seeing me before I go back to England.” The look on his face told Buffy that he didn’t expect anything like that.

“Of course I’ll tell him you were here, I’m sure he’ll…” Buffy stopped, a sudden idea hit her. “You know, why don’t you come back here later tonight? I was going to surprise Spike and cook dinner, nothing fancy, just some pasta. You should come, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if you showed up.”

Giles gave her a doubtful look. “I’m not sure if that would be such a good idea, Buffy. Maybe…”

Buffy interrupted him, a pleading look on her face. “No, it’s a great idea! Please, Mr Giles, you and Spike have to talk to each other sooner or later.”

Sighing, Giles suddenly looked very tired. “I’ve been trying to talk to William for years now. It’s obvious that he does not wish for me to be in his life. I believe it was a mistake, coming back here.”

“Just give it one more chance! Please?” Buffy didn’t know why she was being this persistent about this, maybe she should just let it go, mind her own business. But a part of her was certain that, deep inside, Spike would want to make things okay with Giles again. Maybe he just needed some help with that.

Giles looked like he wasn’t sure of what to say. Then he finally nodded. “Alright, I’ll be here tonight. On one condition; you’ll let William know I’m coming, so it won’t come as a total surprise.” Buffy nodded eagerly. “What time do you want me to be here?”


TBC