Author's Chapter Notes:
Just thought I'd let you know that tomorrow I'm going on vacation to London, and I'll be there for a week. I don't want you to think that I'm abandoning this fic just because I won't be updating for a while, that is so not the case. I have the next two chapters already done, and as soon as I'll get back, I will continue to post. Thank you, all of you who has read and reviewed so far, and a huge thank you to Katkin for betaing! Now I'll let you get on with your reading. :)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Forcing a smile, Buffy desperately tried to come up with something to talk about. “So, um… did I mention that I went job-hunting today?” She held her breath, praying that someone would take the hint and join the conversation. Because so far, the dinner had been a total disaster. Spike had barely said two words to Giles, and while a part of Buffy could understand him, another part felt bad for Giles, who was obviously trying his best to get his son to talk to him.

“Yeah? How did it go?” Spike smiled at her, and Buffy was torn between wanting to roll her eyes or to give him a grateful smile in return. Although Spike had made it perfectly clear from the beginning that he wasn’t interested in talking to Giles, he made an effort of being nothing but polite to her. She was starting to realize that this whole dinner thing had been a mistake.

“It didn’t. I never thought it would be so hard, finding a decent job in this town. I’ll probably end up behind the counter at the Double Meat Palace or something equally depressing.” Buffy sighed. Her mother had left her some money when she’d passed away, and she’d been fine living on them so far. But sooner or later she would need a regular income, the money she had on her account wouldn’t last forever.

“Is that awful place still open? I would’ve thought the health inspectors closed it down years ago.” Giles helped himself to some more pasta. “This was wonderful, Buffy.”

Buffy smiled at him. “Thank you, Mr Giles, I’m really glad you like it.”

“Please, just call me Giles. Tell me, what do you plan on doing if you don’t find a job soon?”

Glancing over at Spike, who was focusing on the food on his plate and clearly not paying any attention to his father, Buffy turned back to Giles. “I don’t know. I really don’t wanna work as a waitress or something like that, but it looks like that might be my only option. I mean, who else would hire a college drop-out?” She grimaced before shoving some more of the pasta into her mouth.

Giles looked thoughtful for a moment. “You know, I have a friend who might be able to help you. If you’re interested, that is.”

Buffy gave him a hopeful look. “Really? That would be…”

“She’s not.” Spike finally looked up from his plate, giving Giles a cold look. “She can find a job on her own, don’t need you to do her any favours.”

Giles looked hurt. “I was just trying to help.”

Spike was just about to say something, when Buffy jumped up from the chair. “Spike, can I talk to you for a moment? In private, please.” Spike looked from his father to Buffy, then got up and left the kitchen without a word. Buffy gave Giles an apologetic look, before following. They got in to the living room, and Buffy made sure the door was closed behind her before she started speaking. “Did you have to be so rude? He was just trying to be helpful.”

Spike snorted. “Right. He’s a bloody saint.”

Buffy gave him a pleading look. “Why can’t you just try to give him a chance? He’s really trying here, he’s obviously sorry for what he’s done in the past.” She walked over to him and tried to put her hand on his arm, but he jerked it away from her.

“I can’t believe this! I just told you, not even an hour ago, how I feel about him. I thought you understood.”

“I do! But…” Buffy swallowed, not sure of how to go on.

“I told you that I can’t forgive him, and I bloody meant it! If you have a problem with that, maybe you should just leave.” Spike didn’t look at her when he said the last part, and Buffy was certain that he didn’t really mean that. But still, it hurt to hear him say it. She blinked away a couple of tears, and was just about to tell him that, when Giles entered the living room.

“It’s me you have a problem with, you shouldn’t take it out on her.”

Buffy closed her eyes. Obviously Giles was trying to help her, but she knew that he would only make things worse. “It’s okay, Giles. Please, if you’ll just wait in the kitchen, we’ll be right back.”

“Not me, I’m out of here.” Spike grabbed his coat, and headed for the door.

Buffy rushed after him, grabbing his arm. “Spike, wait! We have to talk about this, you can’t just leave!”

He stopped, sighing. “Buffy…”

“She’s right, son. If anyone should leave, it should be me.”

Spike glared at his father. “Why did you have to come back here in the first place? I’ve been doing just fine without you for years, I don’t need you now. Just go back home to your bloody wife, and the kids you actually care about.”

Giles had tried to contain himself during dinner, but now he lost what was left of his patience. “You have no right, talking to me like that! I’ve done nothing but trying to be polite to you since I got here, but now I’ve had it! If that’s what you really want, for me to walk out of your life, then I’ll bloody well do so.”

“You already walked out of my life years ago. From now on, just stay out!” With that, Spike walked out the door, ignoring Buffy who called out for him, and slammed the door shut behind him.

Giles stared at the closed door for a moment, then let out a defeated sigh. He turned to Buffy. “I’m so sorry, dear, this was a mistake. I should never have come back here, I should have just stayed in England.”

“Yeah, maybe you should have.” Buffy let out a choked sob. “I’m sorry, I just…” She took a deep breath, wiping away a few tears.

Giles walked over to the hanger and grabbed his tweed jacket. “It’s too late to get a flight tonight, I’ll leave the first thing in the morning.” He paused. “It was really nice seeing you again.” She just nodded. “Right. Good bye, Buffy.” Giving her a sad smile, Giles left the apartment, closing the door quietly behind him.


TBC