”Hungry yet, luv?” Spike gave Buffy a questioning look, and she shook her head, firmly. They were still on the floor, still on the same spot, neither one of them had made any efforts of moving. They’d just been siting there, talking quietly, for hours. And even though there were still a lot of issues for both of them to work out, it finally seemed like, from now on, things would be a lot easier. Now, Buffy was exhausted, and she knew Spike had to be as well. But yet she didn’t want to get up, not wanting to ruin the tender moment they were having.

Buffy gave him a tired smile. “Nope, not hungry at all.” Her stomach suddenly decided to disagree, and let out a loud, growling sound. He raised his eyebrows, clearly amused, and she blushed. “Okay, maybe a little. But I’m just so comfortable here, don’t wanna get up.” She pouted.

“Yeah? Well, my back hurts like hell, can’t see what’s so bloody comfortable about this position.” Then he glanced at her, a mischievous look on his face. “Mind telling me why we’ve spent the last…” He checked his watch, eyes widening. “…hours, on the floor, when there’s a perfectly fine couch just a few feet away?”

She slapped him on the arm, rolling her eyes. Spike chuckled, then became serious. “Buffy, I love you.”

Buffy swallowed, not understanding why his sudden declaration almost brought new tears to her eyes. “I know that, baby. I love you too, so much.” Then, she couldn’t help but add; “And if you ever tell me again that I shouldn’t, I’ll kick your ass.”

He looked away, embarrassed about his earlier breakdown. “I’m sorry.”

She brought her hand up to his cheek, forcing him to look at her, then kissed him softly on the lips. “Stop saying that.” Spike gave her a weak smile, but seemed once again to be lost in his memories. “Spike?” He snapped out of it, looking at her with a somewhat cautious expression on his face. “It’s time to let go of the past and move on, for both of us. Together. Right?” He nodded, much to her relief. Then her stomach started making noises again, and she groaned. “Okay, this is seriously starting to bother me. Did you say something about breakfast before?”

Spike smiled then, happy to change the subject. “Let’s go to the kitchen then, and I’ll fix you something. Am a bit peckish myself.” He got up, and offered her his hand.

Buffy took it and let him pull her to her feet, smiling back at him. “Sounds great! I’ll help.”

They were halfway to the kitchen when the door bell rang. Spike frowned. “Mind getting that? I’ll get started with the food.” She nodded and headed for the door, opening it just as he disappeared into the kitchen.

Her smile disappeared when she saw who it was. “What are you doing here? I thought you’d left.”

Giles looked taken aback by her reaction. “Hello to you too, Buffy.”

She sighed. “Sorry, Mr Giles, I didn’t mean to be rude. It’s just that… I mean, you said…”

“That I’d go back to England, yes. I was on my way, had bought a ticket and everything. Then I realized…” He hesitated, as if he wasn’t sure of how much he should tell her. “I’m sorry, but I really wish to speak to William before I say anything more. If you don’t mind, I’m sure you understand?” It was obvious that he expected her to step aside and invite him in, but she remained where she was, arms crossed over her chest.

“Actually, this is not a good time.” His face fell, and she went on; “I’m sorry, you should’ve called first, would’ve saved you the trouble of coming here. I’ll let Spike know you were here though, then he can decide if he wants to contact you.” A part of her felt bad about the way she was talking to Giles, yet another part just couldn’t help herself. Remembering the look on Spike’s face when he’d told her about Giles’ abandoning him and his dying mother, and then how she, after he’d poured his heart out to her about one of the most painful moments in his life, had forced him to have dinner with his father, suddenly made her feel sick.

“Buffy?”

She jumped at the sound of Spike’s voice, having not heard him coming back into the living room. “It’s okay, Giles was just leaving.” She looked at the man standing outside the door, giving him a pleading look. “Right?”

Giles opened his mouth to say something, but Spike beat him to it. “It’s alright, Buffy. Do you mind leaving us alone for just a minute?”

Buffy gave him a doubtful look. “Are you sure?” He nodded. “Okay. I guess I’ll be in the kitchen.” She hesitated for a moment, giving Giles one last look before leaving the room.

“She certainly is…feisty.” Giles let out a nervous laugh as he entered the apartment.

Spike gave him a blank look. "What do you want?"

Giles sighed. “Look, I understand you’re not too happy to see me again, and I can’t say that I blame you, but will you just hear me out? Please?” Spike didn’t say anything, so he went on; “I’m staying here in Sunnydale. And I don’t mean just for a little while, I’ve decided not to go back to England.”

“What?” Spike stared at his father, the shock evident on his face. “Why?”

“Because…” Giles stopped, hesitating. “I just spoke to Jenny on the telephone, she doesn’t mind moving back here with the girls. In fact, she said she always knew it would be coming to this, it was all just a matter of time.” He chuckled. “Sometimes I believe that she knows me even better than I know myself.” Then he became serious. “I understand this comes as a bit of a shock for you, and to tell the truth, I have no expectations. I know I’ve let you down, and you don’t owe me anything. But all I’m asking for is a chance to prove to you that I have changed.”

Spike swallowed, suddenly at loss for words. Giles took the silence as a sign that he’d taken things far enough. He reached into his pocket, pulling out a small piece of paper. “Here’s the number to the hotel I’m currently staying at. I’m going to give you some time to take this in, that’s why I won’t be contacting you again for a while. But now you know where to find me, if… well.” He handed the paper to Spike, who took it after a moments hesitation.

“That was all, I suppose.” Giles opened the front door again, then stopped just before he was about to step outside. “I’m not going anywhere this time, William. Good bye for now.” With that he left, closing the door behind him.


TBC