Chapter Three


Buffy stood there looking at Angel and Giles. They had stopped talking as soon as the words as left Giles’ mouth this was not how they wanted to approach the subject with her. Buffy decided the best way to deal was to basically be plaino avoid-o-girl. Maybe it would actually work this time.


“Hey guys! I fought another basher tonight. He said the strangest thing before I killed him. Let’s see, something like Linda duo, I think? No! I know, it was Lamia Edo, that’s it, whatever that means. Anyway really tired,*fake yawn*, think I will go to bed early tonight. You know well rested for that ‘pop’ quiz that Giles is going to spring on me tomorrow on Greek. Nighty night.” The whole time that Buffy was talking she was edging her way out of the living room. She thought that she might actually make it and avoid the subject that she was avoiding.


“Buffy, stop.” Angel’s voice stopped her in midstep. Inwardly she winced, ‘Almost made it, damn!’ “Let’s go meditate, and then we can talk.” Her shoulders slumped, with a heavy sigh, she followed Angel to the room that they had set aside for meditating and limited training.


Buffy concentrated on her breathing and controlling her movements. She slowly was able to empty her mind and let the fear and anger that always came with any mention of the Master.


“I can still hear your heartbeat.” Buffy increased her concentration on stilling an organ that she had no need of.


“I know you heard us.”


“No, I didn’t. I heard no mention of the Master.”


“Yes you did lass, quick avoiding the issue. You knew this time would come.”


“Does not me I have to like it.”


“We can beat him Buffy. Giles and I will not let anything happen to you.”


“Yeah, I know. It’s hard though. I mean this is the guy that has been trying to kill me since before I was born. I know that we have defeated everything that he has thrown at us, but he was still able to have my father killed. What if he got to you or Giles? I don’t think that I would survive without either one of you.” Buffy stopped and turned towards Angel with tears streaming down her face. Angel promptly pulled her into a hug and held her tight.


“If, and I stress if, that should happen, you would go on. You would survive. And if something should happen that Giles or I should depart like that, then we would still watch over you. The powers that be themselves would not be able to keep us from watching over you.”


“I know. So, what is this place like?”


“Actually, Sunnydale sits on a hellmouth. There should not be any trouble for you to feed or letting you have ‘your daily dose of violence’ as Giles puts it. I actually think you will like it. Plus, Giles and I have been talking, and we decide that when we get there, you can enroll in school.”


“You mean with other kids my age, humans?”


“Yes, other kids your age that are humans. Which also means keeping your strength a secrete, not letting anyone know what you really are. If we can keep you being there from the master, then when we do attack, we will have the advantage. So, what do you say?”


“Can I have friends?”


“That would make you less likely to stand out.”


“Ok, I guess. You know what this means don’t you?” she asked with a twinkle in her eyes.


“What?” he asked warily.


“I need a new clothes to look all normal girl. We need to go shopping!” Buffy exclaimed excited.


“Sure, as soon as you get an A in Greek.” Angle smugly replied.


“But I am not studying Greek!” She said in dismay.


“You are now.”


“But I don’t need to learn Greek! We discussed this last year!”


“Then you don’t need new clothes.”


“Fine, I guess I’m learning Greek.” Buffy stormed off to her room with a pout. Angle was able to hear ‘stupid vampire’ and ‘learn to keep my mouth shut’ floating down the hall. Chuckling to himself, he started to pick up the training room. Giles agreed with him that Buffy was extremely intelligent, she just did not want to study, so she hid it behind the ‘dumb blonde’ persona. But there were times that she would slip up.

~*~


The Master was very displeased with his favorite childe. It was rare for him to punish anyone personally; usually Darla dealt out the punishment while he watched. He loved to watch, but this time it was Darla who had earned his ire. She knew better. After the failure of her only two childer, he had forbidden her to sire anymore. She had disobeyed him and her lasted childe had destroyed over half his minions. He had told all his clan to be careful of whom you turn, and never turn gypsies.


Darla had decided she wanted a new plaything. Angelus was gone, his curse disgusted her. Hank turned his back on her immediately and turned his wife. The master was still trying to fix the mess that came of that. And finally there was Jenny, a gypsy. She was so enraged when she awoke that she destroyed vampires with just a flick of her wrist as she stormed out. The only ones who survived where the ones who were out hunting, and the master who was in his bedchamber.


He flicked the whip again and it tore off the only remain piece of skin on her back. He signed with disappointment. She had passed out, either from blood loss or pain, he didn’t care. He sat down on his throne to wait for her awaking. While he waited he thought of other ways to punish his wayward childe. She would learn once and for all that he was her master, he was THE master, and she would obey him, or she would dust.