Author's Chapter Notes:
Alright, last chapter before things start speeding up... Thanks to all those who reviewed!! :) Please let me know what what you think!
Twenty minutes later, Spike’s eyes had still not adjusted by the time he and Dawn had reached the mall and he could only rub his eyes and follow as Dawn deftly guided them to the nearest Gap. Therefore it was a slight shock when his vision finally cleared and Spike found himself surrounded in frat boy paradise.

“No way bit, this isn’t me.”

Dawn cocked an eyebrow and put her hands on her hips.

“Well that’s the point isn’t it? To look different?”

Spike really couldn’t argue with her logic, this store was definitely different.

“Dawn-“

“Look, we’ll still stick to colors you like. You don’t gotta where pink or anything, but you can’t where all black. And you gotta get rid of those boots. That’s the rules.”

Spike couldn’t help but being amused, she looked so much like a mini-Joyce in that moment with her arms akimbo and that determined expression on her face that he found he couldn’t deny her.

If only Mum could see the bitty now…

“Alright bit, I’ll give it a shot. But if we don’t find anything we’re going to another store.”

Dawn snorted in contempt before turning around with a swish of her hair and heading towards the clothing racks.

“So, do you have any clue as to what size you are?”


Thirty minutes later Spike stepped out of the dressing room and found himself staring at the reflection of a man who had died over a hundred and twenty years ago. He eased towards the mirror and gently lifted his hand to trace the features before him. Some things he remembered, the cheekbones, the girly lashes, but as for everything else? He may as well have been staring at a stranger, a young stranger.

How is it possible, how, after everything I’ve done, after everything I’ve gone through, can I not have at least aged?

He continued to stare at the mirror, searching for alterations in his appearance that would display the wear of over a century and found them in little doses throughout his face. The scar through his eyebrow, a trace of weariness that seemed permanently entrenched within his eyes, his hair…
Shame that has to go, bloody hurt getting it done.

This was the face of a man, the body of a killer, it was everything he had ever wanted and now despised. And he could not turn away.

“I like that one. You should get it.”

Well, almost could not turn away, Spike startled at the sound of Dawn’s voice and was only mildly surprised she had made her way into the men’s dressing room. Cocking a brow, Spike looked himself up and down and appraised the dark jeans and form fitting red shirt. With his hair loose and curly and without the comforting presence of his docs he truly did look like a different person. Suddenly this shift in appearance seemed much more appealing, and Spike wondered if that had been the Watcher’s intention all along.

“Alright Dawn, help me find a few more of this nancy shirts and some pants and we’ll go.”

In the mirror Spike could see Dawn’s skepticism plain upon her face.

“You’re going to let *me* pick them out?”

Spike simply turned and gave her one of his patented stares before heading back inside the dressing room. Despite her self proclaimed hatred for the vampire, Dawn found herself smiling at his antics.

This is going to be fun…



After the GAP the two went by the shoe store and picked up some boots and sneakers before heading over to a CVS. While Spike truly hated the drudgery involved with consistent shopping he found himself enjoying this time alone with Dawn. For the first time in what seemed like decades she talking to him without a trace of disdain, and he could almost imagine that things were the way they were before he left. Almost.

“Come on Spike! We only have about forty five minutes left and we still have to pick up lunch!”

“What are we doing here?”

“This is a CVS. CVS sells hair dye. Come on.”

Oh God, not the hair…


“Dawn, I’m not sure if-“

“Oh no you don’t! There’s no going back now you sissy! Now get your butt in here!”

They entered the store and Dawn directed them over to the hair supply aisle, she glanced at the various shades and then back at Spike’s hair.

“So, what color do you like?”

“The one on the top of my head.”

Ignoring his remark Dawn picked out a light chestnut and held it up against Spike’s face.

“How about this one?”

“Look, bi-Dawn, I’m not so sur-“

“Great! Let’s go check out.”

Spike rolled his eyes and followed Dawn to the register, muttering something about fanatical Summers women…




After a quick trip to the food court, a visit that Spike enjoyed with great relish, the duo headed home and was back at Revello Drive just under three hours after their departure. As soon as they entered the door Spike raced upstairs to check on Buffy and found her to still be sleeping soundly.

“Guess the Watcher was right…”

Sighing he sat down on the edge of the bed and debated how he was going to spend the time before her waking. He had just gotten up to go put his new purchases in the basement when Dawn showed up in the doorway, box of hair product in hand, an anticipatory grin on her face.

“Oh no… you’re not getting away that easily.”



Spike had no idea why he allowed Dawn to duck his head repeatedly under the kitchen sink, the only water source in the house not taken over by one of the scoobies or potentials, or why he found himself allowing his hair to be styled by a girl about one twelfth his own age, but before he could fully register what was occurring it was over and Dawn was dragging him towards the mirror.

“You look amazing! You gotta see this!”

Smiling at her enthusiasm Spike allowed himself to be dragged to the mirror and almost fell over at the sight that greeted him. Looking back at him once more was a significantly more modern, but most assuredly recognizable young William. His hair was loose and curly, slightly styled so that it looked boyish without being overly floppy. The light chestnut color was almost an exact match to his natural tone and he wondered how Dawn could have possibly guessed it…a pondering that was cut blissfully short as he heard a voice calling from the top of the stairs.

“Spike? Spike! Where are you?”

He looked once more at his reflection and debated making a run for it before gathering his resolve and heading back towards the stairs.

Oh bugger, well here goes nothing….