Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to all who reviewed :) Please let me know if you think this is worth continuing or not.
Buffy glances around the room at the shocked and worried expressions of her friends, inwardly debating just how much she should tell them about her little trip to the past.

/I can’t let them know what I really am. They’ll never be able to accept it./

Her gaze slid past a group of potentials and finally settled on the one person she instinctively knew would understand.

“I see that you got your coat back.”

/Ah, and there’s the smirk we all know and love./

“Got back a little more than that luv.”

Buffy smiles, taking some form of courage from his newly re-found bravado, and turns back to look at the people who had become a family to her over the years; praying that what would have to happen next would not cost her their friendship.

/If Spike can get his balls back then so can I. /

“Alright guys, I know that you are not going to like what I am about to tell you but if you are really my friends then you will accept what I have to say and will help me. “

“Buffy, I’m sure-“

Buffy looks over at the man who means more to her than her biological father ever could, and suddenly falters, not sure if he will still love her when he finds out that his precious slayer is really a demon in disguise. But the Kennedy clears her throat in irritation, causing Buffy to turn and catch the expressions of several Potentials, the hope in their eyes gives her the strength to squash her rising doubt.

/ I don’t have time for this, the only thing that matters right now is getting us all through this safely./

“Not now Giles. Everyone please pay attention. The spell worked, I was able to meet with the original council…. The good news is that they knew of a way to help me defeat the First…”

Xander’s face was it’s usual mixture of cynicism and loyalty as he moved towards his obviously shaken friend, a contradicting myriad of emotions that Buffy somehow found as reassuring as it was confusing, “And the bad news…”

Buffy sighs and moves towards the sofa.

“You guys might want to sit down for this.”


Two hours later…

“So what you are saying is that all the slayers got their juice from some kinda mega-demon?”

“Not the way I would have put it Xander, but sure.”

Xander’s eyes grow wide with shock as he falls back against his chair, his mind desperately trying to merge what he has just been told with his previous beliefs concerning the girl before him. It just didn’t’ seem possible that Buffy could hold anything demonic within her. She was the slayer after all, she was supposed to fight evil, not be evil.

“Well that actually explains a good deal.”

Several shocked expressions turn towards the watcher, all eyes demanding an explanation for his sudden acceptance of the situation.

“Oh do stop looking at me like that. I had often wondered why all slayers were female and now we know. T he original council was only able to procure a *queen* demonic power, therefore a female vessel was needed.”

“B-but aren’t you a upset that Buffy is part demon?”

Willow’s eyes were wide, as if she had not meant to voice the question out loud. But the damage had been done and the anxious expression on his Slayer’s face was in itself enough to inform Giles that his opinion on this matter was important to the girl.

“Willow, while I am certainly not thrilled at the prospect I am far from surprised. The kind of power welded by the Slayers is one of great strength as well as great uncertainty. I have always somewhat dreaded eventually finding the source to her power and now that it has happened I can only be grateful that the truth is not as horrific as it could have been.”

Buffy’s shoulders sag in relief as she turns grateful and teary eyes towards her watcher.

“That being said, I suggest that we now turn our attention toward finding a demonic donor for Buffy. For as much as I hate what she must do, I don’t see any other alternative. And it is going to be extraordinarily difficult to find a demon willing to give over his life for a slayer.”

“Wait a minute, I thought they said it would just have to give over its power, not its life.”

“Buffy, no body can survive without its essence. And it is within its essence that a demon’s power resides.”

“But-“

“Hold just one second G-Man, I’m not so sure about this…”

At Xander’s objection the rest of the Scoobies simultaneously decide to come back into the two leaders’ conversation.

“Don’t look at me, I’m not even a little bit demonic anymore.”

“Wow, always knew she had to be part demon. But would Mom listen? No-“

“Giles! We can’t turn Buffy into more of a demon than she already is! I mean..being part demon is bad-“

“ENOUGH!!”

The room quiets as all eyes turn towards the irate vampire now standing on top of the coffee table. Seeing that the has caught their attention, Spike nods once and steps down to stand where he can now face the frantic Scoobies.

“Look, I know you lot aren’t thrilled about the Slayer being part demon… but complainin’ about it isn’ gonna do any good. The way I see it, the Slayer has always had a bit of demon in her and havin a bit more isn’t going to really change anything…. That being said, I think you require my services Slayer.”

Buffy could only be astounded by the vampire’s loyalty. After all she had done, after all he had been through… he had given her everything and was still willing to part with the little bit that was left.

“No Spike, I can’t let you do th-“

But before the slayer can finish she is interrupted by her suddenly irate watcher.

“Can’t let him? Buffy, you do realize that Spike is probably your surest chance of ensuring that nothing goes wrong during the ritual, don’t you? For once, let him actually be good for something other than cannon fodder.”

“I can’t believe your saying this! After all he’s done for us you would let him just die?”

“Yes Buffy, I would. It is a sacrifice that I, and I am sure Spike, is willing to make.”

“I can’t do this, I- I just… I can’t! Not again!” She turns around and fixes teary eyes on the vampire before her. “I won’t kill you, there has to be another way.”

With those parting words Buffy turns on her heel and heads towards the sanctuary of her bedroom, so preoccupied in her thoughts that she never heard Spike’s footsteps following her up the stairs.