Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all those who reviewed! :)
The gush of life that suddenly flowed into Buffy’s mouth felt like sheer heaven…and she of all people should know. She could feel the beating of the heart buried deep within the body gripped so tightly within her arms and continued to ride that frantic pulse as her own body flushed with frenzied excitement. Distantly she felt hands rise to grip the back of her head as she presses her lips even closer to the pale column beneath her. A pain filled moan fills the room as a set of blonde curls languidly rolls to the side in a form of silent surrender.

“Buffy….”

At the sound of Spike’s voice Buffy suddenly jerks her head back in shock, her eyes fading back to their normal greenish hazel. Slowly lifting her hand to her still wet lips she brings it back to see it covered in the blood of the man whose wounded neck is still lying against her shoulder.

“OH MY GOD!”

Trying to suppress a growing sense of self-disgust Buffy carefully turns Spike in her arms and places him gently on the bed before her. Her fingers clamping over his neck in an effort to stop the blood pouring from the twin puncture wounds decorating its side.

“L-lick it.”

Spike’s voice is so soft that she would not have known he had spoken had the movement of his lips not jarred the gashes underneath her fingertips.

“What?”

“Lick… t-the…wound”

Not at all certain that tasting the ex-vampire’s blood again wouldn’t lead her to draining him, Buffy hesitates and begins looking around the room for anything that could apply the right amount of pressure to cease the bleeding.

“W-won’t w-work. You have…to lick…the wound t-to…seal it.”

Spike briefly opens his eyes and something in their blue depths convinces Buffy of the truth behind his words. With a sigh of defeat and a silent prayer she leans forward and, ignoring her immediate thought of “blood is disgusting”, lowers her mouth once more to the wound. She begins to lick the cuts in sure, measured strokes and for a moment the hunger once again threatens to overwhelm her. With a great effort she slowly pulls her mouth away and once more looks into a familiar set of weary blue eyes. Spike watches her with a gaze keen to relief before once again gratefully passing into unconsciousness.

Buffy quickly reaches over to Spike’s wrist and places two of her fingers on the arteries flowing below the surface. Sighing in relief as she discovers his pulse has remained strong, she collapses against the headboard and tries to make sense of what has just happened. She knew that she should be horrified by her actions, but somehow feeding from Spike had felt like the most natural thing in the world.

I almost killed him…how can that be natural?

Briefly she wondered if she had somehow lost her soul, but soon determined that her apparent guilt over causing the ex-vampire pain negated that theory.

So why am I doing this?

Finally out of answers Buffy checked Spike’s pulse one more time before opening her door to find her watcher approaching her from the other end of the hall.

“Giles, we need to talk.”


An hour later Buffy and Giles had somehow managed to change her bedding, reposition Spike, and go over hundreds of years of slayer history while simultaneously keeping all the Scoobies and the SIT’s away from the door. It had not taken the slayer or the watcher very long to determine that Buffy’s new status should not be openly announced until they had some understanding of what had exactly occurred. After all, Xander’s reaction before the ritual was proof enough that Buffy’s friends were far from ready to face the truth, and though she would inevitably have to eventually face them Buffy was planning on delaying that confrontation for as long as possible. Besides she was finding it hard to concentrate with Spike still unconscious.

“Buffy, are you at some point going to tell me how Spike ended up like this?”

Yeah, that’s going to be a fun conversation.

“Look Giles, this is a lot for me to take in at once. Can you just give me a bit to think things out?”

“Alright. A few hours. We don’t have time for anything more. It’s been hard enough to keep everyone away as it is.”

“Thank you.”

With one last tired glance Giles left the room, for the moment putting aside his questions in light of the almost horrified look still gracing his slayer’s features

I don’t know what the bloody hell went on in that room, but I better damn well find out soon.




Buffy listened to make sure Giles was well down the hall before turning around to go check on Spike. She found him still laying on his back, his hair mussed from their previous tussle and his cheeks flushed with the life that now flowed beneath his skin. His chest rose and fell in a steady pattern and his long lashes extended out to brush his cheeks. The overall affect made him appear to be peaceful, angelic even.

With gentleness she had never before shown him in his wakeful hours Buffy ran her finger down a single sharp cheek bone and realized with a sense of awe that through her body she had turned a monster into a man. Finally something good after years and years of nothing but sacrifice and pain.

And what a beautiful man he is….

Unfortunately Buffy’s inspection was cut short as the object of her observations suddenly burst into consciousness with a wrenching gasp.

“Spike!”

Eyes frantic, Spike searched the rooms until his eyes finally focused in on the anxious slayer leaning above him.

“Buffy? W-what happened?

“You mean you don’t remember?

Spike shakes his head and feels a sudden sharp pain coming burst from the side of his neck, unconsciously he raised his hand to the sore area only to find it covered in a series of bandages. His eyes clouding over in memory as the last few hours came rushing back and he gazed at Buffy with an expression of shock and amazement.

“You bit me.”

“Yes Spike, I did. Can you forgive me?”

Spike opens his mouth as if to answer but pauses as he feels an unfamiliar stirring from beneath his fingertips. Pressing a little harder he once again concentrated on that tiny throb and realized with a fierce shock that he was feeling his pulse for the first time in over a hundred years.

“Buffy, luv, what have you done to me? “