Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to all those who reviewed!

All reviews are highly appreciated! :)
Bloody whelp, I think he just blacked my eye.

Picking himself up off the floor with full intentions of retaliating against the frustrating mass of twinky blubber that was Xander on a daily basis, Spike was surprised to see that the boy wasn’t still standing over him gloating. He was even more surprised to find that said boy was now being shoved up against a wall on the other side of the room.

Slayer moves damn fast now, or maybe that’s just the human eyesight talkin’.

Spike walked over to Buffy who was currently holding Xander about three or four feet off the floor and could not help but gloat a little. Well, at least until Buffy began to snarl and press her fangs into Xander’s neck.

“William is mine! Mine!”

Well this certainly can’t be good.

Spike glanced around the room and found that the others had gathered around the trio but were somewhat frozen, each of them wanting to stop Buffy’s decent but none wanting to be the one that would have to hurt her. Well all except for Kennedy, who from as far as Spike could tell just didn’t want to get the shit beat out of her again.

Smart girl. Guess it’s up to me then….

Spike sighed and picked up a letter opener lying on the coffee table.

If this doesn’t work it was a good run everybody. Thanks for coming to see the bloody show….



Buffy was enraged. How dare this mortal try to harm what was hers? What had always been hers? There was no punishment harsh enough for such a trespass, and besides, something was whispering to her that it had never liked this particular life all that much anyway.

She was just above that delicious pulse point when another scent filled the room. Stronger and far more delicious than the one in her hands. She knew this scent, had known it for over a century. It was HERS.
A tiny trace of Buffy attempted to slip through but was harshly repressed as the demon pushed Xander back against the wall and immediately tackled Spike to the floor. Her hands grasping around his now bloody wrist.


God! Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.

But as Buffy fastened her lips to his wrist and began to pull from the stream flowing there Spike felt himself responding in ways that had nothing to do with pain.

Great, just great. Figures little Spike would think utter terror is an aphrodisiac.

However, Spike had very little time to revel in said sensation before he felt the Slayer being pulled away from him. And realized with a shudder that it felt as if far more than their bodies were being separated. It almost felt as if his very soul was going to rip in two.

Spike was so startled that it took him a good minute or two of lying on his back to realize that Buffy was not going to return to finish the job. And he leaned up to find his love lying on the floor, a tranquilizer dart sticking prominently from the side of neck. The gun it was born from shaking in Giles hands. He felt arms around his shoulders, and was suddenly assisted to his feet as he watched the same being done for Xander on the other side of the room. He somewhat regained his balance and half walked, half stumbled to the blonde sprawled out on the floor.

“You hurt her!”

“Now Spike, don’t be ridiculous, I simply knocked her out so that she would not hurt herself. Or you for that matter.”

Despite his words Giles’s voice had a very uncertain edge to it that made Spike highly apprehensive. If the Watcher was unsettled there wasn’t going to be a chance in hell of the others accepting this little situation.

“Hey! How was she able to hurt Spike anyway? Shouldn’t he have just thrown her off or something?”

Spike was so worried about the fallen Slayer that he barely registered Willow’s question until it was repeated by a haggard Xander who had somehow managed to work his way over to stand in front of him.

“Yeah bleach-boy, how was she able to knock you down like that? Wait a minute, how was *I* able to knock you down like that.”

As much as Spike had dreaded revealing what had happened to Buffy, he realized that it was this moment he had truly feared. After this there would be no more hiding, he would truly become one of the human horde. He would become weak, just like them.

Somehow sensing that the ex-vampire was not going to reveal his new status anytime soon, Giles stepped forward, tranquilizer gun still firmly in his hands.

“Kennedy, Anya, why don’t you two carry Buffy over to the sofa, as for the rest of you… the reason behind Spike’s vulnerability has the same origins as Buffy’s new strength. While I suspected the demon would be too integral a part of him for him to survive without it I was wrong. Apparently, when the demon left Spike’s soul ensured that his human essence would take over the body and allow it to survive.”

The Scoobies took a moment to allow Giles’s words to sink in before turning to face the now ex-vampire below them.

“So… in dumb-man terms….. what does that exactly mean?”

“It means, Xander, that Spike is now as human as you or I.”

Xander’s angry shout was unexpected, and Willow turned to him with a definite question upon her features.

“What’s wrong Xander? I thought you would be happy to have Spike all un-demony and harmless…”

“Don’t you see Willow? Don’t you see?! He took Buffy’s humanity and then got back his own. I don’t want a human Spike, I want Buffy back! I want back my best friend, not some demon that tries to kill me for hitting someone who tried to rape her!”

“Xander! I think that is quite enough!”

Giles’s voice was firm, and rather than argue Xander simply glared at the room once more before marching towards the kitchen, closely followed by a highly confused Willow.

“Now that that’s settled, everyone go back to what you were doing before this all began. Spike? Why don’t you help me take Buffy back up to the bedroom?”

Body still numb with the shock of what had just been revealed, Spike’s only solace was that soon he would be away from all this. Away from all this and alone with the one person who could possibly understand, the same person who was now sleeping fitfully in his arms.