Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey thank you to all who reviewed! I know this is a bit of a lag in the plot line but the next chapter is going to be pretty jam packed, so it thought we could all use a little bit of a break. Please let me know what you think, all reviews are highly appreciated. :)
Placing Buffy on the bed he had occupied only hours before, Spike looked up to see Giles quietly observing him from the doorway.

“You know, you’re a walking target like this.”

Spike, who had been anticipating time alone with the Slayer was upset to find the Watcher still around, and was less than thrilled at this newest accusation.

“I can’t bloody win, can I Watcher? I give everything I possibly can to this girl and you still see me as nothing but a nuisance. I ca-“

“Oh do shut up Spike. While you are certainly far from useful I was referring to your appearance, not your basic character.”

Spike looked down at the faded jeans and black t-shirt he was still wearing and looked back up, his confusion obvious. Giles sighed and took off his glasses.

“Your choice of clothing, besides being absolutely deplorable, is also unfortunately highly recognizable. Along with your hair. And your entire appearance seems to invoke a good deal of anger in a good number of our demonic neighbors.”

“So, what are you saying?”

“I’m saying that you need a new look, preferably something a little less noticeable.”

Gilles put his glasses back on before pulling out his wallet and handing Spike a couple of bills.

“If Buffy’s tolerance is anything akin to a werewolf's, and I would imagine it is, you’ve go about three hours. Go out and get yourself some new clothes. And for God’s sake do something about your hair.”

Spike looked at the bills in his hand and back up at the man standing before him with a mixture of awe and puzzlement.

“Why are you doing this? You hate me.”

“Be that as it may, she,” Giles nodded towards the bed, “Does not. And I think that you have more than proven that you care about her. Besides, I imagine attempting to kill you would probably be more than a little harmful to my health. And I have only myself to blame for that. Now you’d better be going if you are hoping to get back before she wakes.

With that Giles left the room and Spike, after taking off Buffy’s shoes and making sure she was comfortably arranged, looked once more at the bills in his hand before heading out towards the hallway. It wasn’t until he reached the front door that he realized there was a slight problem to going outside…

“You’re afraid of the daylight aren’t you?”

Spike quickly turned towards the young voice emanating from behind him and was startled to see a falsely nonchalant Dawn standing on the end of the stairs. He hadn’t even detected the girls’ approach.

And why would you, you wanker? You’re not a big bad vamp anymore. Just a human, with a pathetic human nose.

“Not exactly afraid… just uncertain.”

Dawn snorted in contempt before rising and walking towards the ex-vampire that had once meant so much to her.

“Right… what are you leaving for anyway? I thought my sister needed you. Abandoning us again? Or are you gon-“

“Look, b- Dawn, I’m getting a bit tired of the constant threats and gory reminders. You’re right pissed with me. I get it. But there’s no way I can change the past and right now I’ve only got three hours before your sister wakes to get this done. So if you don’t mind, I’m just gonna go.”

Despite his courageous words, Spike remained standing, still afraid to cross that last threshold. Dawn uncrossed her arms and tilted her head to the side.

“To get what done?”

Spike sighed.

“Watcher says I have to find a new look. While I may still look like good ol’ Spike I don’t have the strength to back that image anymore. Besides, a good deal of the demon community is not exactly happy with me. With me human now it would be a free for all.”

“Giles helped you? Surprising.”

My thoughts exactly.

Fully expecting the girl to leave now that her questions had been answered, Spike was shocked to find Dawn picking up her purse and heading towards the doorway.

“Well, come on.”

“Y-you’re coming?”

“Well you’re obviously too much of a sissy to leave without assistance, and who knows the shopping around here better than me? If you want to be back in three hours then you will have to know where you are going.”

At that Dawn pushed open the door and stepped to the side.

“Go on, you have to get through this sometime."

Spike looked once more at the light that seemed to be pressing all around him and, gathering his resolve, slowly took a step outside.

“Wonderful, you made it the porch. Look, I don’t have all day-“

“Give me a break, bit, it’s been over a century!”

Feeling a slight sense of nolstalgia at the sound of his nickname for her once again falling so easily off his lips Dawn relented and quietly stepped outside. Only to find herself once more frustrated by his inabilty to get over his fears.

“See Spike? Me, human. You, human. I’m not burning so you’re not going to burn. Now stop being a pussy and come out.”

Angered by the teenager’s mocking Spike gathered his nerve and took those last few steps into the sunlight.

While Dawn had known about Spike’s new change of status it did not seem to really hit her until she saw him standing in her yard. He was looking up at the sun with an expression of utter joy and inexplicable loss, and she watched him slowly fall to his knees with his eyes still tentatively holding on that strange mixture of emotions as he planted his hands firmly in the grass.

“It’s for real, isn’t it?”

Now Dawn was just confused.

“What is?”

“Me, this. There’s no going back is there?”

“Spike, I-I don’t know what to tell you.”

The uncertainty in the girl’s voice brought him out of his stupor and Spike slowly lifted himself from the ground. He had a lot of thinking to do but now was not the time.

“Just ignore me bit, 'm just getting used to everything is all.”

Somehow Dawn found herself not at all believing his casual dismissal, but if he was willing to put off this particularn session introspection than she was more than willing to let him.

And besides, at least he isn't going all nutso again...