Chapter 11

“What the hell is going on?”

Riley pulled away from Buffy, a guilty expression on his face. “Sandy, what are you doing here?”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “I came out with a few friends; saw you dancing pretty intimately with her. Who the hell is this?”

Buffy was wondering the same thing.

Riley took a deep breath, knowing he couldn’t get out of this one. “This is Buffy, my fiancée.”

Sandy’s jaw practically dropped at that. “You’re engaged? I can’t believe this. I made sure that you were single before I got involved with you. I never even saw a ring. You are such a bastard,” with that said, she slapped him across the face and stomped away.

Riley touched his stinging cheek, figuring that could have gone worse. He turned to see the shock and hurt on Buffy’s face and knew that it was far from being over. “Sweetheart, I can explain.”

Buffy held her hand up, letting him know that she would be doing the talking first. “How long has this been going on, Riley?”

He shut his eyes tight, opening them again a moment later. “It’s been about three months, but I swear, she didn’t mean anything to me. You’re the one I want to marry, Buffy. She was just a moment of weakness. I panicked about settling down and just wanted a fling. It was only supposed to be one time, but she kept coming back and wouldn’t take the hint. I’m so sorry, baby. I was going to end things with her; you’re the only one I want.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She was finding it hard to keep the tears back, but felt warmth when someone wrapped their arms around her and instantly knew it was Spike.

“You better get out of here, pillock.”

Riley ignored him and focused on Buffy. “We’ve been together for two years. It would be stupid to let something as little as this ruin what we have.”

Buffy shook her head, the tears streaming down her face. She then took her ring off and threw it at him. “We’re done, Riley. I don’t ever want to see you again.”

He moved closer to try and reason with her, but was held back by a hand against his chest.

“It would be best for your health if you stayed away from her,” Spike spat, taking Buffy’s hand and leading her out of the club.


* * * * *


“I can’t believe he could do this to me. He was with her for three months and I never knew. How could I be so stupid?”

Spike stayed silent and let her rant, knowing that she needed it.

“How many times have I fallen for his lies? All this time I was thinking that I found the perfect guy, someone that would always be there for me. He was probably jumping for joy when I left for Sunnydale, even though he pretended that he didn’t want me to go. He probably couldn’t wait for me to leave, so he could be alone with her and not have me show up to get in the way. Go ahead and say it, Will. Say I told you so, I know you want to. You warned me about him and I wouldn’t listen. You hadn’t even met him and you still knew that he wasn’t right for me. So go ahead, just say it,” she finished.

He shook his head, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer. “I don’t have to say it. Believe me, a part of me wished I was wrong. All I cared about was your happiness, even if it wasn’t with me. I hoped that I was wrong about him. I don’t like that you’re hurting.”

She pulled away, wiping the remaining tears from her eyes. “I’m so sorry for the way I treated you, for leaving the way I did just to come back to that idiot. I should have stayed in Sunnydale. I should have been there for you. What we had, it meant so much to me. I felt more with you than I ever did with Riley. I guess that should have told me something, but I was too stubborn to listen. I just don’t understand how you don’t hate me right now. You should hate me.”

Spike cupped her face, lightly stroking her cheek with his thumb. “I could never hate you, Buffy. I love you. I have for as long as I can remember.”

Buffy didn’t think it was possible to shed anymore tears that night, but she was wrong. “You shouldn’t say that. I don’t deserve your love.”

He smiled and pressed a soft kiss to her lips. “I’ll be the judge of that. Come on, let’s get you home. We can talk later.”

Buffy nodded and let him place an arm around her shoulders, heading to his car. She just wanted a nice shower and some sleep, everything else could wait for morning.


* * * * *


Spike couldn’t sleep. He spent the last few hours trying to doze off, but his worry over Buffy prevented him. He was staying in the guestroom across from hers, and it was driving him crazy. He was broken out of his musings by the door opening, only to see Buffy standing there.

She gave him a shy smile, closing the door behind her. “Sorry, I couldn’t sleep. I guess you’re having the same problem.”

Spike nodded and sat up. “Yeah, I was too busy thinking about you. Come over here, love.”

Buffy took that as her invitation and walked over to the bed, sitting down beside him. She let out a sigh when he wrapped an arm around her. “I don’t know how I’m going to tell my parents that the wedding is off.”

Spike glanced down at her. “Do you think they’ll be upset?”

“Honestly? I think they’ll be thrilled. I think everyone will. No one was really all that happy about me being engaged to Riley. Again, that should have told me something. If my own family and friends didn’t even like him, then I don’t know how this could have lasted. Maybe it’s a good thing that I found out now, before I walked down the aisle. That would have been really embarrassing.”

He chuckled and kissed the top of her head. “I’ll be there when you tell them, but now I think we really need to get some kip. We can worry about all of that later, okay?”

Buffy agreed and snuggled up closer to his side, resting her head against his chest.

It didn’t take them long to drift off after that.