Chapter 12

“Oh, honey, I’m so sorry to hear that.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “You could at least try to hide the smile, Mom. I know you never liked Riley.”

Jenny put her arm around Buffy. “I may have never thought he was right for you, but I am sorry this happened. I never wanted you to get hurt.”

“I agree with your mother. I have an urge to throttle that boy if I ever see him again,” Giles commented.

Buffy smiled at her parents. “Thanks, I might just let you. I’ll be okay, it just wasn’t meant to be.” She then turned to Spike and took his hand in hers. “Let’s go for a walk.”

He nodded and let her lead him out of the house.


* * * * *


“I guess that could have gone worse.”

Spike agreed. “Are you really okay?”

Buffy thought about the question. “I think so. I know I should probably feel more upset, but I just can’t. I think a part of me always knew this wouldn’t work out. I was just waiting for an excuse to get out of it. Does that make me horrible?”

Spike shook his head. “No, that just makes you human.” He squeezed her hand, realizing that he was still holding it. “You’re an amazing woman, Buffy. I’ve always thought so. If that ponce couldn’t see it, then he’s a bloody idiot.”

She stopped their walk to look at him. “You always did know the right thing to say. I just wish we didn’t lose all of those years.”

“We’re making up for them now. There’s nothing left for me in Sunnydale anymore. My mum was all I really had. I felt that I needed to stay and take care of her, but now it’s time to let go. I was thinking about moving back here.”

Her eyes widened. “Why would you do that?”

He shrugged. “Because this is where you are, and I never realized how much I missed this place. I know it’s still really soon. You just ended a relationship with a man that you’ve been with for two years, but I’m not about to give up. I came here for a reason, Buffy. It didn’t matter to me that you were engaged at the time, all that mattered was you. I want to be with you, I know that more than anything. I’m willing to give you all the time you need until you realize that you might want me, too. I don’t expect that to happen yet. I just wanted you to know how I feel.”

Buffy was stunned by his declaration, not knowing he felt that strongly for her. One thing was for sure, she definitely didn’t intend to take too long with her decision. She caressed his cheek, then softly pressed her lips to his.

Spike was taken by surprise, but soon found himself returning the kiss. He pulled away a moment later, resting his forehead against hers and trying to get his breathing under control.

“So, is this how it is?”

They both turned at the new voice, only to see Riley standing there.

Buffy didn’t feel at all guilty for what she just shared with Spike, glaring at her ex. “What do you want?”

Riley flinched at her tone, but got right to the point. “I wanted to talk some sense into you, but now it all becomes clear. It looks like I wasn’t the only one not being faithful in this relationship. Did you screw him in Sunnydale? I should have known he was the reason you decided to stay there longer.”

Buffy had about enough. “You know what? I did sleep with Spike, but I felt so guilty afterwards and came back to you. I realize that was a huge mistake. I told you that we’re over, Riley. I gave you back the ring and I don’t want anything else to do with you. It was obvious that your heart was never really into this relationship. I just wish I could have found that out sooner, so then I wouldn’t have hurt one of my best friends. I don’t even know why you proposed to me in the first place, but I don’t care. We’re going now,” she finished, pulling Spike’s arm.

“You’re not even worth it, anyway. Don’t come crying to me when he decides to leave you, too!”

Buffy ignored him as they kept walking, not even bothering to look back to see if he was still there.

Spike was quiet the whole way back to the house.

Buffy couldn’t take much more of the silent treatment. “All right, what’s wrong?”

He pouted. “You should have let me hit him.”

Buffy laughed. “If he bothers me again, then I give you permission to hit him. I’m just hoping that’s the last I see of him. I’m ready to move on.” She grabbed Spike by his jacket and smashed her lips to his in a more passionate kiss, letting him go after a few seconds.

Spike had pure lust and awe written all over his features, but had to be sure about something first. “Am I just the rebound?”

Her expression softened. “No, you’re a lot more than that. I don’t want to say it’s love. At least not yet, but I do want to be with you. I think we could be great together. I used to have a crush on you in school; I just never figured that anything would come of it.”

Spike’s jaw dropped. “You used to have a crush on me? Are you bloody kidding? We could have gotten together a lot sooner. I never said anything because I thought I would scare you away. This is just typical…”

Buffy cut him off with another kiss.


* * * * *


After spending last night with Spike in the guestroom, it didn’t feel right for Buffy to stay in her room. She found herself lying with him later that night, her head against his chest.

Spike was busy running his fingers through her hair, feeling content for the first real time in his life. That was until Buffy broke the silence.

“I don’t want you to move here.”

Spike was confused as he gazed down at her. “Why not? Are you having second thoughts about us?”

She shook her head. “No, of course not. I’ve thought a lot about this the last few hours, and I think I would rather move to Sunnydale.”

That was the last thing he expected to hear. “Are you sure about that?”

Buffy nodded. “I loved it there. Yeah, I would miss my parents and friends, but I know they would be accepting of my choice. And I could get to know my new family more, not to mention you. I can’t have you sell your mother’s house, Will. I know you told me that you could, but I don’t believe that. It means too much to you. So, I think you should stay. I can move into the house with you, help you keep up with the payments. I would have to get a job, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard. I’ll take anything over living in Iowa with Riley. I can’t believe I was even considering that.”

Spike stared at her in admiration. “God, I love you.”

She felt her cheeks heat up, looking away from his gaze.

“Hey, I’m not trying to make you uncomfortable. I don’t expect for you to say it back yet. I know you’re not ready, but I can’t stop myself from telling you how I feel.”

Buffy took a deep breath and met his eyes again. “I don’t want you to stop. I love hearing those words, William. You can feel free to say them whenever you want. I guess it just takes some getting used to.”

He smiled and pressed a tender kiss to the top of her head. “Let’s get some rest, love. We have more news to tell everyone tomorrow.”

Buffy made herself more comfortable beside him and soon dozed off to a peaceful sleep.