Chapter 13

“It feels so weird to be leaving this place.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her. “Not having second thoughts, are you?”

Buffy shook her head, staring at her now empty room. A mattress the only thing left inside. “I grew up here, so it’ll take some getting used to. I’m definitely ready to move on, though. I was just expecting for my parents to be a little more upset. My mom was practically in tears just from me going to Sunnydale for a few days.”

“I’m sure they’re upset, pet. They probably just didn’t want to show it in front of you.”

She nodded. “Yeah, you’re probably right. Okay, I’m ready to have some fun on my last night here. Let’s get me drunk.”

Spike laughed and ushered her down the stairs. “You know you can’t handle your liquor.”

Buffy pouted. “Spoil my fun.”


* * * * *


“Give me another one.”

The bartender rolled his eyes at the obvious drunk man, but did as he was told. “Are you sure you haven’t had enough, buddy?”

Riley glared at him, swallowing his shot of Tequila. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, slamming the glass down. “Fill it up again, Jake.”

He sighed and did just that. “Women problems?”

“What makes you say that?”

Jake smiled. “It’s always about a woman.”

Riley drank down another shot, his blurred vision not even enough to stop him. “Well, this isn’t over yet. I’ll make her see that we’re meant to be together. That bleached freak won’t be an issue for much longer. I don’t even know what she sees in him.”

Jake pretended that he was listening, then went to assist a few other customers.

Riley turned away from the bar to look out at the dance floor. His eyes widened at the sight of Buffy moving provocatively with that loser. He had enough and headed in their direction. This ended now.


* * * * *


Buffy laughed when Spike whispered naughty things into her ear, holding her close as they both moved to the music.

“You are truly evil.”

He grinned. “What can I tell you, baby? I’ve always been bad.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, sure you have. I’ve seen you in high school, remember?”

Spike groaned. “You don’t have to remind me of what an utter ponce I was. That’s all behind me now.”

“You were so not a ponce, whatever that is. I thought you were cute.”

Spike blushed in response this time. “Not bloody cute,” he mumbled.

Buffy smiled as he proved her point, but didn’t get a chance to reply as Spike was roughly pulled away from her. She looked up to see the angry face of Riley Finn. “What the hell are you doing?”

Riley scowled at her. “I’m showing you who the real man is here. I can’t believe you’re choosing this freak over me. No one will ever love you as much as I do, Buffy. You’re making a big mistake.”

“Are you being serious right now? You’re drunk, Riley. I’m not about to get into this with you. Just go home before you make an even bigger ass out of yourself.”

Spike stood beside Buffy. “Yeah, be a good little farm boy and piss off. She’s not your girl anymore.”

Riley saw red and without giving much thought to his actions, punched Spike right in the face.

“Bloody hell!” he cursed, holding his nose.

Riley wasn’t finished and shoved Spike back, punching and kicking at him.

When the shock wore off, Spike was able to give back just as good. He dodged Riley’s fist and landed a punch in the other man’s gut.

A crowd formed around them, cheering them on.

Buffy couldn’t take anymore. “Stop it, the both of you! Leave him alone, Riley! You’re acting like children!” she yelled, grabbing Riley around the neck and trying to pull him off of her boyfriend.

Riley was too lost in his rage to notice what was going on. He turned around with a start and hit Buffy across the face.

She fell to the floor, holding her cheek and staring up at him in astonishment.

The club suddenly became very silent.

Riley saw what he did and felt shame go through him. “Buffy, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. It was an accident.”

Spike pushed him out of the way and went to his girlfriend’s side, helping her up. He gave Riley a look that could kill. “You don’t ever touch her again, you got that?”

Riley ignored him and moved closer to Buffy, only to have her take a step back.

She grasped Spike’s hand in hers, looking at her former boyfriend for the last time. “I’m moving tomorrow, Riley. I don’t ever want to see you again. You stay the hell away from us.”

Riley let out a defeated sigh as he watched them walk away, knowing that there would be no getting her back now.


* * * * *


“Ow, that stings.”

Spike looked apologetic. “Sorry, love, but it’ll help with the bruising.”

She nodded and took notice of his injuries. “What about you? My face isn’t nearly as bad. He could have broken your nose.”

Spike shrugged. “It’s a good thing he hits like a nancy boy, then.”

Buffy giggled, which hurt her sore cheek.

“What do you say we get some sleep? We have moving to do tomorrow.”

Buffy agreed. “That sounds like a plan. I suddenly can’t get away from here soon enough. Promise me that we’ll have a good life together? That you’ll never leave me, or turn into an idiot like Riley?”

Spike pressed his lips to her forehead. “I promise, love. You’re stuck with me forever.”

She smiled. “I think I can handle that.”

Spike tickled her sides, causing her to let out more giggles. “You think? There’s no thinking about it.”

Buffy pushed his hands away. “Okay, I know I can handle that.” Her expression then turned serious. “I love you, William.”

He felt tears prick his eyes at those words. “I love you, too.”


* * * * *


Jenny smiled to her husband after overhearing the last part of their conversation.

“She’s going to be just fine,” Giles commented.

Jenny nodded. “I know she is, but she’ll always be my little girl. It’s hard to let her go.”

Giles rubbed his wife’s shoulders in comfort. “We’ll always be here for Buffy if she needs us, but we have to let her grow up. She’s a young woman now, with a man that thinks the world of her. She’ll be in good hands. William won’t let anything happen to her.”

Jenny watched as her daughter and future son-in-law entered her room together, shutting the door behind them. She took her husband’s hand in hers, gazing into his eyes. “Let’s go to bed, Rupert.”

He smiled and gave her hand a light squeeze, leading her into their bedroom and closing the door.