Chapter 14

“Honey, I’m home.”

Buffy came out of the bedroom. “Don’t you get tired of saying that?”

Spike smiled. “No, mainly because I know how much you hate it.”

She smiled as well and placed a kiss on his cheek. “How was work?”

He shrugged. “Same as always, I never knew teaching could be so exhausting.”

“Yes, but you love it. And let’s face it; you’re great when it comes to kids.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her bulging belly. It would only be three more months until he was a father, and he could hardly wait. “I guess it’s good practice for when the little one shows up.”

The front door suddenly burst open and in bounded Dawn and Sam. “Hey, Uncle Spike,” they called out, making themselves comfortable in front of the TV in the living room.

Spike let out a sigh. “Hey, girls,” he responded back.

“This could also be good practice,” Buffy told him.

He pouted. “I was hoping we would have some time alone.”

“I know, but we promised Joyce that we would watch them today. It’s only for a couple of hours. She deserves to have some alone time with Hank. Being responsible for three kids has to take a lot out of you.”

Spike agreed. “We’re only having the one, right?”

She laughed and shook her head. “With the way we go at it, that’s probably not likely.”

“I was watching that!”

“You always get to watch what you want, it’s my turn.”

“I’m telling Mommy!”

“You’re such a baby.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “You’re honestly telling me that you would want more than one?”

Buffy pressed a quick kiss to his lips. “I really do.”

He smiled, ignoring the bickering that was still going on in the other room. “I can live with that.”


* * * * *


Spike entered their bedroom later that night, a smile on his face. It quickly faded when he saw the look of distress on Buffy’s.

“Love, what’s wrong? Who were you talking to?”

Buffy glanced up at him, putting the phone down. “That was my mom. Riley was in a car accident, he didn’t make it. She just thought I should know.”

Spike sat down beside her on the bed, rubbing her back soothingly. “I’m sorry about that, pet. Are you going to be okay?”

She nodded. “Yeah, I will be. Things weren’t exactly very good when we parted. We haven’t even talked in over a year, but I’m fine. It’s not like I was in love with him. It’s just always hard losing someone that you knew, someone that you shared so much with. If we actually did get married, I couldn’t picture having this with him. I think he would have freaked when I told him I was pregnant, instead of being happy about it. Kids were never something he wanted; I honestly don’t think our marriage would have lasted for very long. I don’t have any regrets. Being here with you is the best decision that I’ve ever made.”

Spike was pleased to hear that. “Let’s get some rest, love. Both of my babies could use it right now,” he said, patting her stomach affectionately.

Buffy lay down and pulled Spike with her, snuggling up against his side. “I love you,” she whispered before sleep claimed her.

Spike gazed adoringly at his wife, never tired of hearing those words. “I love you, too.”


* * * * *


“What are you doing?”

Connor groaned at being caught, turning around to see Buffy standing behind him. “I wasn’t doing anything.”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “It looks to me like you were sneaking out of the house.”

He sighed and sat down on the porch steps.

Buffy did the same, waiting for him to explain.

“I was going to meet Janice, but I’m grounded and knew Mom wouldn’t let me.”

She nodded. “Okay, then why can’t you just wait until your punishment is over?”

Connor took a deep breath. “Because I really need to talk to her, I hardly ever get the chance at school. I need to break up with her. I won’t be able to relax until I do. This whole punishment isn’t even fair, anyway. I only missed curfew three times in the last year.”

“Well, your mom just wants what’s best for you. Why do you want to break up with Janice? I thought things were going well for you two.”

He ran his fingers through his hair. “This isn’t something I feel that I should be talking about with my sister, it’s a little embarrassing.”

She smiled and held her hands up. “Understandable, you want me to go get Spike?”

Connor shook his head. “No, it’s fine. I don’t mind talking to you. It’s just that we’ve been seeing each other for six months now, and I think she’s ready to have sex. I mean, she told me as much. I’m only sixteen; I don’t think that’s something you should rush into. I think you should at least be in love first. She’s a great girl, but I don’t really think I am. This is making me sound like a chick, isn’t it? God, the guys will never let me live this down.”

Buffy smiled and put her arm around him. “I actually think it sounds very smart. You shouldn’t be pressured to do anything that you don’t want to do. The right girl is out there. Once you find her, it will definitely be worth the wait. Trust me on that.”

He smiled in return. “Thanks, I guess I can wait to talk to her later. I should get inside before Mom grounds me even longer. You’re a cool sister, Buffy. I’m glad I got the chance to know you. I just pray that you’re carrying a boy, we need more men around here.”

Buffy laughed. “I’ll see what I can do.” She watched him head back into the house, realizing just how great it was to have siblings.


* * * * *


Spike looked up when Buffy walked into the house, confused by the expression on her face.

“Whatever it is, I didn’t do it.”

She shook her head and sat next to him on the couch, planting a hard kiss on his mouth.

Spike was panting when she pulled away. “What was that for?”

Buffy ran her fingers over his chest. “I didn’t think I needed a reason to kiss my husband. Are you busy right now?”

He was distracted by the movement of her fingers, but managed to respond. “No, I was just watching some telly, but I can turn it off.”

She flashed him a bright smile. “Good, I’ll meet you in the bedroom.”

Spike watched her go, a smile of his own forming on his face. He quickly stood up and hurried after her, closing the bedroom door once he was inside.

Her laughter rang out through the walls.

They definitely wouldn’t be getting any sleep that night.

The End


Well, I said this wasn’t a very long story. I know it’s probably not the best ending, but that’s all I could come up with. I have another story that I’ll be posting soon. Thanks for reading=)